Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We were looking for toilet chemicals recently and rather than make a 70 mile round trip to our nearest dealer, we thought we would try some local caravan sites in our area to see if they sold them.
However, we were surprised to learn that the two caravan sites that we contacted told us that they didn't sell these products because they now need a license to sell these chemicals.
We don't know if all caravan sites will be the same, but the ones that we phoned said they weren't willing to pay for the licence required to sell them.
Has anyone else come across this?
Bill

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I stopped using the horrible (and expensive) normal chemical toilet liquid after reading on here that cheap, biological washing liquid is just as good...

Much better for our world... And much much more affordable...

Been using Sainsbury's Basics Washing liquid... 99p per litre...

JJ

Attachments

• bargain Loo Liquid.jpg
    bargain Loo Liquid.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I find it extremely hard to believe they need a licence to sell formaldahyde based produces....ie 'thetford blue' etc

and as JJ said, a good bio washing powder or tablets will do the same job at a fraction of the price of 'toilet blue'

we dont use anything other than natures way in the RV holding tanks....natural decomposition and empty into any sewer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We have a septic tank at home so we fitted a SOG, no need for harmful chemicals.

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
We didn't use anything until that hot weather the other week, any one remember it?. I had some blue stuff in the van from the previous owner so used that but once it is gone we will either fit a SOG or try the washing liquid/tablet route, probably the latter first, as we too have a treatment plant at home.

Drew

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
There has been a long discussion on the motorhome list and many on there are using Formil tablets from Lidl and seem happy with the results.

I have not tried them yet as I, like JJ, have been going down the Bio Laundry Liquid route, it certainly has a more pleasant smell than the chemicals & using this doesn't put any nasties into the sewage system, & of course its freely available in most super markets. Which is what the OP was asking.

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Totally agree have been using bio washing liquid for a couple of years now.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Fit a SOG - don't use any chemicals and you will have saved its cost in the equivalent of about three trips to the dealer. Also completely safe to empty in any toilet or septic tank (we empty in public loos when on the west coast of Scotland - at quiet times when the public are not using them).

p.s. if you are a fairly competent at DIY, they are not difficult to fit. Just take your time and check carefully (two or three times) before drilling anything. It took me a morning, but I could do it quicker second time around.

Last edited:

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Hope this helps.

:Smile:
We started motorhoming in April for the first time and at Peterborough show
after looking at the SOG system we bought one for around a £100 and had it installed.
No smells, no chemicals, no problems, no running around looking for something to put into the toilet and more important never paying out for unnecessary weight or space to carry it in.
We had read that abroad they do not like chemicals down their elsan points and as this was a German unit and we were told of the benefits at the show it seemed to make common sense.
We decided it would be a one off payment so eventually it should pay for itself.

Atlantisbird
Ann & Harry

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Spose it depends on how many times you need to empty your cassette? - which really doesn't mean anything other than if there are more than one or two of you using the loo, then it stands to reason you'll empty it more than a loner or a couple.

It seems to be approx a once a year purchase for us - but of course, we don't rally etc as we aren't available at weekends very often, so it's not like it's very often emptied when it's only half-full IYSWIM. When moving on (mainly in France) we wouldn't actually make a point of emptying prior to next stop should the cassette not be full, unless we knew there were no facilities where we were going.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
May i ask a question about the Bio liquid? If switching from thetford blue etc., can you just switch without a thorough clean of the cassette?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
May i ask a question about the Bio liquid? If switching from thetford blue etc., can you just switch without a thorough clean of the cassette?

Next time you empty the cassette, just give it a good rinse out as usual, then use Bio liquid instead of the Blue stuff..... no probs...:thumb::thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I believe that the bio liquid works on enzyme thingies which gobble up "stuff" and multiply while doing so... Thus when you empty your cassette which is using bio liquid it doesn't matter if you don't rinse it really well because any left over enzymes just carry on working...

I understand that once the "cycle" starts it keeps going on its own and as long as you have some oxygen and you don't really need to add much more new liquid... Indeed some people with motorhomes with holding tanks don't put anything into their systems at all (other than oxygen via the vent pipe)... the only advantage of putting in "large dollops" of liquid is that it's perfume is pleasing to some...

I understand that the SOG system just sucks in some air and blows out the "fumes" (theoretically through a filter to prevent the smell annoying your neighbours...) (yeah right...)

However... the horrible blue stuff doesn't work like this at all... the horrible blue stuff is the natural enemy of the enzymes and kills them... this is why cassettes with the horrible blue stuff in them are really, really bad for sewage works and especially cess pits... this is why the horrible blue stuff is banned in more civilised motorhoming countries than Blighty...

JJ :Cool:

PS. And added bonus to using the more affordable bio washing liquid is you can always use some of it to do your washing too... (obviously not in the same "bowl"...) :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I understand that the SOG system just sucks in some air and blows out the "fumes" (theoretically through a filter to prevent the smell annoying your neighbours...) (yeah right...)

The charcoal filter needs to be replaced - once a year if used heavily - but it is very effective in filtering smells from the SOG system. Unless that is, the user's digestive system is beyond redemption as a result of over-indulgence in, for example, Fray Bentos pies! :Eeek:

Just to clarify one common misunderstanding, not directly related to JJ's comments: the breakdown of cassette contents does not depend entirely on the SOG fan. That is there primarily to prevent smells coming back up from the cassette into the van, but it does of course promote airflow whilst in operation. The point about the SOG is that even when not in operation, the cassette is still open to the air via the vent tube (and charcoal filter) and this promotes ongoing breakdown of contents. :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am going to look like a bit of a cheap skate now but around a £100 to get some air into (and out of) your cassette in the loo seems quite a high price to pay...

In the Wagon I have a porta potty... true I have only used this system for twenty odd years but a capful of liquid after each emptying and the job's done (so to speak)...

Go to go now... have to empty my cassette... :thumb:

PS. Casting snide, negative remarks about Fray Bentos Pies means automatic removal from my Christmas Card List... You have all been warned... :Sad: :)Rofl1::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting thread, another ex-blue liquid user now after reading this.

Thanks guy:Smile:

Trip to get some Bio liquidy stuff, and then perhaps investigate smogs:ROFLMAO:

SOG: Come on this has to have a great meaning to it, right ?

Smell Odor Gone ?

Desperately trying to slip in Frey Bentos...

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I don't know why the cassette contents have to be broken down or oxygen forced through to get bacteria working. The contents of a Thetford aren't in there long enough to get a fermentation going and the emptying outlet appears to cope well with any contents.
I tried Biomagic but was unimpressed as it appears to need some time to start working. Most probably more suited to an ARV's holding tank.
Now I just use any cheapo tiolet fluid as most now have to be environmentally acceptable.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I have found this very interesting if you use bio liquid what do you put in the top tank if anything?

Andy

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I do not use anything

As my sh*t smells of roses::bigsmile:
Just kidding

I use the same as JJ::bigsmile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
if you use bio liquid what do you put in the top tank if anything?

We just use water, but apparently some use a shot of fabric conditioner as it has a perfumed smell.

Brisey.

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
We use bio washing powder, but found that to make it work we never wash out the cassette, we always leave some poo and wee in it, and we also put fish tank dechlorinator in the flush water tank. Dont use pink stuff.
Its all about growing bacteria. Tap water contains chlorine which kills bacteria. Therefore, if you use tap water to rinse or wash out the cassette, dechlorinate it first - same stuff you would use to dechlorinate a fish tank.
Its like having your own little sewage farm.

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Very many thanks to everyone who has replied to this question, we're just getting round to reading all the different responses:thumb:

We had already bought a 2 litre bottle of both pink and blue stuff in Wilkinsons last Friday, Maypole toilet fluids at £6.98 each, as the Thetford ones that came with the mh were finished. But after reading the responses will give the bio liquids a go when these run out.

We have a septic tank at home, the only thing that went into the tank years ago was a dead rabbit on the advice of a neighbour, something to do with helping to break down bacteria:whatthe: But it runs fine, no problems!
Bill

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have a septic tank at home so we fitted a SOG, no need for harmful chemicals.

Like you, we have a septic tank at home, thankfully it's been working fine for years after the addition of the "dead rabbit":Sad: But the tank is sited in a neighbouring field, the area where the tank is has a sturdy fence around it. The cows use this is a "scratching post" from time to time:roflmto:
I do use bleach down our loos on a regular basis, but we don't have a SOG.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Good question, I was wondering about this myself:RollEyes:

I always get the job of cleaning out the cassette, I'm told it's a man's job!:Blush:
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back