Feb 17, 2011
chester
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi
we're thinking of buying a 2005 auto trail chieftain se 2.8, can any one give an indication as to the MPG we can expect, any other comments on the chieftain, good or bad would be appriciated.

thanks

chris

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Chris never had one but mate has one and he likes it :thumb: expect around 20/22 ish mpg driven carefully :winky:
terry

chugginchubby

Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
Yeovil Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Five years
Hi we have had our Chieftain G since 07 . We are its second owner .and it ticked all our boxes for what we wanted. Although it is a 6 berth I feel it would be cramped if 6 people were together in there. We brought it mainly for the space for two of us and to be able to carry all our stuff without being over weight. We did not want a tow car so we brought a small motor bike which fits nicely in the garage. Being a six wheeler it is nice to drive our mpg is about 25/28 , very impressed. Being in the garage trade have known this engine for sometime and find it reliable and bullet proof and not to difficult to maintain. Hope this helps.
Rich

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
MPG

Hi there we used to own a cheiftain 2006 model with a 2.8 engine and it was returning about 20mpg.
regards brian jo and josh

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Chris have a look at this post Broken Link Removed it may make you think a bit longer :winky:
terry

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
At the end of the day it is down to the driver and that right foot. If the way some motorhomers charge up the Motorways I would say they'd get nowt near the figures quoted, or they tell porkies. :ROFLMAO:
Try driving a distance at 65mph then a similar distance at 55 mph and see the difference, and don't use cruise control. :Cool::thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi
we're thinking of buying a 2005 auto trail chieftain se 2.8, can any one give an indication as to the MPG we can expect, any other comments on the chieftain, good or bad would be appriciated.

thanks

chris
If MPG is a worry do not buy a motorhome if you have to watch the needle drop you should not get one

only buy if your happy to pay what ever it costs because that is what you will end up paying what ever the cost is

do not try to have a motorhome on a shoe string budget you will not be able to afford to run and maintain it

:Eeek:
only telling it as it really is

i love my RV and its worth every Penney:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Chrisgd

Chrisgd

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
chester
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout
Exp
i'm a newbie
If MPG is a worry do not buy a motorhome if you have to watch the needle drop you should not get one

only buy if your happy to pay what ever it costs because that is what you will end up paying what ever the cost is

do not try to have a motorhome on a shoe string budget you will not be able to afford to run and maintain it

i love my RV and its worth every Penney:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Can't recall mentioning the "needle" in my post, 1 don't believe you're telling it as it really is, are you suggesting that you or most owners are not at all concerned by fuel economy???
We have a scout at the moment returning 25-28 mpg, my enquiry was an attempt to compare them both! Not for someone to judge if I could afford to run one or not.

Cheers
Chris

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
if you get 25 -28 from your scout your doing something right, I only get 22-26 from mine and thats after having it chipped by wow, perhaps your regular roads are easier on the fuel than mine. chieftians are nice, Ive fancied one myself but need the extra seatbelts and one with rear belts are very rare.

OP
OP
Chrisgd

Chrisgd

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
chester
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout
Exp
i'm a newbie
if you get 25 -28 from your scout your doing something right, I only get 22-26 from mine and thats after having it chipped by wow, perhaps your regular roads are easier on the fuel than mine. chieftians are nice, Ive fancied one myself but need the extra seatbelts and one with rear belts are very rare.

Had ours chipped ann have something that connects to the battery, not sure what it does but it works for me! As there is only two of us nowadays we don't need rear seat belts.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

[HI]only buy if your happy to pay what ever it costs[/HI] because that is what you will end up paying what ever the cost is

[HI]i love my RV and its worth every[/HI] [HI]Penney[/HI]:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

So by that logic you would be happy with even just one mpg and a 10,000 pounds a year maintainance bills....?:RollEyes:

Actually, you can motorhome on a multitude of budgets......

"only telling it as it really is".....:winky::winky:

Billillston

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Dutchman Dorado Cclass RV
Exp
Since 2006
Chieftain

Hi,
I have a Autotrail Cheyanne 840D twin axle 2008 3ltr Multijet & just come back from France loaded to the gunnels travelled well over 1,000 miles & averaged 26.5 mpg you will get a decent fuel return if you use cruise control whenever possible & keep speed to around 57 mph, hope this helps.

Cheers Bill.

Sep 30, 2008
Funster No
Chieftain

We have a 2000 reg Chieftain. 22 mpg on most trips, never travel at more than 60 mph.

If you're like us and get lost in mountainous regions expect 18mpg.

This is our first van , we've had it for 4 years. Sails through mot's and damp tests (touch wood ). Windows need resealing now but the van is 12 years old and we've had a lot of rain.

The only thing that would tempt us to change vans is an island bed. I don't think we'll ever have the extra 20k it would cost for an autotrail with such a bed so hopefully Archie ( the van ) will last another twelve years.

Anne & Malc

OP
OP
Chrisgd

Chrisgd

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
chester
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout
Exp
i'm a newbie
We have a 2000 reg Chieftain. 22 mpg on most trips, never travel at more than 60 mph.

If you're like us and get lost in mountainous regions expect 18mpg.

This is our first van , we've had it for 4 years. Sails through mot's and damp tests (touch wood ). Windows need resealing now but the van is 12 years old and we've had a lot of rain.

The only thing that would tempt us to change vans is an island bed. I don't think we'll ever have the extra 20k it would cost for an autotrail with such a bed so hopefully Archie ( the van ) will last another twelve years.

Anne & Malc

Well the Seller has agreed to give my £19500 for my scount so I've just spent the last 6 hours emptying it, ( don't we carry a load of junk around with us)
Going for a test drive in the chieftain tomorrow morning, as long as I can back it in and out of my drive I'll have it. Don't expect it to be a problem but need to check first. There's plenty of room on the drive, it's just making sure the road is wide enough.

Chis

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Can't recall mentioning the "needle" in my post, 1 don't believe you're telling it as it really is, are you suggesting that you or most owners are not at all concerned by fuel economy???
We have a scout at the moment returning 25-28 mpg, my enquiry was an attempt to compare them both! Not for someone to judge if I could afford to run one or not.

Cheers
Chris
many RV owners do not worry about the cost of fuel as they know it will cost once they hit the road when i first started petrol was less than .69p/ltr and LPG 0.32P/ltr

no one knew the costs would rise to the hights they are now even so I just fill up and use what ever it takes other wise i would not use the thing to the best of my ability

so yes some of us do not care what the costs are if the fridge blows up and costs £1300 to get a new one i fit a new one
well Duncan fitted it ( i amnot that clever )

when you have paid the costs of purchasing a quality Motor home it is false economy not to keep it in tip top condition
REGARDLESS OF COST !

as i said If one has to worry about the cost of fuel one should ask the question Can I afford to have one?
i would have still got mine if the costs back then where as high as today
i used to run 3.5 Ltr V 6s and 4ltr V8s back then too so the cost of running have all ways been higher than that of running a car any way

there are a lot of motor home out there that have not been looked after because the owners could not afford to maintain them as they should be maintained
then the new owner finds all sorts of problems hidden once they are the proud owners
plus a well maintained fully loaded motor home will hold its price on the second hand market.
so it a double win for one who spends the money and keeps theirs in tip top condition
sorry if you feel i have hit a nerve it is not personal to you i say it to every one

"If you have to watch the cost of fuel should you be thinking should i have one?!!

!i am not saying you or any one else should not have a motor home
i just pose the Question it is up to the individual to answer the question for them selves

open for debate too

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
thank you to every one who has sent me a LIKE notification on here it is good to know so many of you agree with what i say

and the school teacher said thirty years ago i would never accomplish anything worth while :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back