Help with first motorhome trip please ! (1 Viewer)

Andrew G M

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Abergele
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi
Looking to buy our first motorhome and after alot of research have settled on the idea of a nearly new Bessacarr E495 which i feel will suit our needs - Mum,Dad, and two teenage kids.

As ever though I must obey she who must be obeyed, and hire one first to try before we buy. Very sensible. (I hate it when she is sensible.)

Anyway, my desire to own a motorhome is going to hinge on the success of our first trip in an E495 hired from Horizon motorhomes near Wrexham, probably the last week of August, before the kids go back to school. If we actually buy from them, I understand they offset the hire monies against the cost of the mh.

This will be our first time ever away in a mh (not even had a tourer), and i am thinking a minimum of 5 possibly 7 night trip.

Probably going to head to south Wales or Cornwall for the weather but have no idea where to go, or how long to stay at each site.

We will definitely prefer quieter quality sites, but presumably will need to be fairly near eateries etc. I cannot quite get my head round popping to the nearest Tesco in the mh, but presumably that is what you have to do.

Any suggested itineries would be most welcome, not to mention other tips to make our first trip enjoyable, and not a stress deal breaker.

Many thanks

Andrew:Smile :Smile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
check what is in the van as regards cutlery cups plates etc. and make sure you have got what you need.
i would take sleeping bags for a first trip as i suppose bedding wont be included.
any toiletries etc you feel you will need.

maybe pick the motorhome up then go home and spend the first night on the driveway or at a site close to home so you dont have far to go to get the things you have forgotten.
then move on the second day for the rest of the holiday and have fun:thumb:

Upvote 0
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Congratulations on converting to a sensible form of holiday. To hire before you buy is a very wise decision (give her a biscuit) as the aftermath if bought and you don't like the life will be hell. Just remember it takes time to adapt to a new lifestyle. You are not at home so use the space carefully. Don't all jump up at once, arrange some pattern so everyone isn't on the floor together. If you tend to her indoors every need at home then only you will be walking round the van so no problems.
Our main transition was the space, we had to rearrange our movements. Try to book your campsites so that a bus service is close at hand, this gives more freedom. Plan food as you may be many miles from a shop.
Double check your better half has ALL her kit packed, you will be given HELL if she forgets anything. If YOU travel light then you will now be travelling much lighter, woman appear to take enough kit for fulltiming. My wife sometimes packs the van when I am out so she has the most space. If luck shines on me I have a (one) cupboard, and if I end up with 2, this means she is shopping when we are away and I have to say nothing because of my extra cupboard.
I wish you the very best of luck and don't forget to let us know how it goes, or doesn't. I'm sure you will enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome :thumb: Hiring is a very sensible thing to do :thumb:It will give you a good idea of what layout you want for your purchase.When you go to pick up the van make sure you listen to how things work (perhaps 2 people ?)because it will not sink in ::bigsmile:Take a pen and pad to write down things and do not be in a rush to go before all has been explained.
Try looking at http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ for where you want to stay,Caravan and camping clubs sites are all nice,clean and expensive and you have to be a member ::bigsmile: so do your homework on uk campsite :winky:
Tesco car parks are nearly all big so it is no problem to park in a corner to get your requirements :thumb:Remember you can always buy or do without anything you forget so do not let anything get you down if it stops working or you cannot work it.You can always ask either a fellow camper or site owner if you do not know how things work.:thumb:Most important thing is ENJOY :thumb:
terry
edit with a couple of kids no doubt you will need a tv (should be one in the hire van) remember it will need tuning in every time you change sites

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
going to the supermarkets is really no problem...... I do and our RV is 34ft long.

most supermarket car parks are large and people don't like to park too far from the entrance so there is always plenty of space further away where you can take two spaces end to end if needed.

car park access is always good

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
we carry essential meal making dried foods, like packet rice or the boil in a bag ones, pasta and pasta mix and sauce mixes for the likes of tagatelle, sausage casserole etc, packet soups etc either the cup a soup type or the packets for a family. Things that take no room, are lightweight which are quick to make for a meal when you arrive at a site after driving.
Remember to pack lightly as the payload in a motorhome is not great so do check with the hire company what payload you have as the weight of your family members must be deducted from the payload first and what is left is what you have for clothes etc as far as i remember the driver and fuel is included within the weight of the motorhome but not the family members.
Remember its a holiday so you can take your time driving stopping for breaks and a brew where it is safe to stop and the view is nice etc

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
we carry essential meal making dried foods, like packet rice or the boil in a bag ones, pasta and pasta mix and sauce mixes for the likes of tagatelle, sausage casserole etc, packet soups etc either the cup a soup type or the packets for a family. Things that take no room, are lightweight which are quick to make for a meal when you arrive at a site after driving.
Remember to pack lightly as the payload in a motorhome is not great so do check with the hire company what payload you have as the weight of your family members must be deducted from the payload first and what is left is what you have for clothes etc as far as i remember the driver and fuel is included within the weight of the motorhome but not the family members.
Remember its a holiday so you can take your time driving stopping for breaks and a brew where it is safe to stop and the view is nice etc
::bigsmile: I never gave food a thought because we always have a good stock of canned soup, veg,beans toms rice pud custard etc etc, Only today for a imminent 1 night trip SWMBO had me top up the van with /back up to 24 bog rolls and 12 rolls of paper towels :Doh:::bigsmile: and she has plans to eat out so no need for any food :Doh:
terry

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
::bigsmile: I never gave food a thought because we always have a good stock of canned soup, veg,beans toms rice pud custard etc etc, Only today for a imminent 1 night trip SWMBO had me top up the van with /back up to 24 bog rolls and 12 rolls of paper towels :Doh:::bigsmile: and she has plans to eat out so no need for any food :Doh:
terry

damn thats going to be one hell of an indian your havingopp5:censored:2

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yup, loo roll LOL And teatowels and dishcloths, that sort of thing. That you only notice you haven't got, when you need to use them!

Cutlery/crockery is a good point. The number of times we've turned up somewhere on hols and there has only been enough for the 2 of us. Fine, except when you need to put something on one plate to cut it up to put on other plates - eg you've bought a cake. Or you lay the table and then have to take forks and spoons off it to dish up, and put em back ... not a disaster but just a flipping nuisance. Oh - and make sure it's got a teapot!

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Can I suggest one fundimental that will a effect your first experience of a motorhome - the weather!

Try and find somewhere sunny. This will allow you to "live outdoors" rather than inside the motorhome for lengthy periods, which will give you a much better impression of motorhoming.

We moved from a caravan to a motorhome last year and love it. However we have yet to have had a complete sunny day so far on our trips in the motorhome.

Having spent 6 weeks travelling around France last year in the caravan with only one day of rain - and that as when travelling - we know the absolute pleasure that "outside living" can be.

Sun is not always available in the UK, but things are so much better when you get it, so therefore would suggest the drier east coast - Norfolk way!

hope this helps

bob

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
damn thats going to be one hell of an indian your havingopp5:censored:2

Well the trip went well and although I eat /try most things but anything Indian is a big NO NO :winky:We took Grandson with us and he basically eats cheese and fish :Doh: so it was cheese and salad cream sarnies for him -yuk- cheese and tom for Ann and I had the same with ashed load of ham :thumb: After that the fish shop took a hammering sat night and Sunday (today) dinner ::bigsmile:So thats us all chipped up until Grandson comes away again :Smile:
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back