More on motorhome charges for French Autoroutes (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
After another recent short trip from Calais via Brittany - Le Mans to 03000 Moulins we used 6 peages along with N and D roads.
They were a mix of real person, automatic paying with debit card and pre-pay for short stretches around cities.

We were charged Classe 2 on all without exception and didn't have any attempt to charge us as Classe 3.

We are 2.85m high (this is the real defining factor as 3m high is the cut off point between Classe 2 and 3 and is measured automatically on approaching a toll booth).
We are also 4.6 tonne GVW with twin rear wheels which should put us into Classe 3 but they don't appear to have the facility to check this fact.

Hope this helps to clarify how they charge for motorhomes on French Autoroutes, maybe that sat dish, air con or roof box on the roof puts you up a payment class?

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
After another recent short trip from Calais via Brittany - Le Mans to 03000 Moulins we used 6 peages along with N and D roads.
They were a mix of real person, automatic paying with debit card and pre-pay for short stretches around cities.

We were charged Classe 2 on all without exception and didn't have any attempt to charge us as Classe 3.

We are 2.85m high (this is the real defining factor as 3m high is the cut off point between Classe 2 and 3 and is measured automatically on approaching a toll booth).
We are also 4.6 tonne GVW with twin rear wheels which should put us into Classe 3 but they don't appear to have the facility to check this fact.

Hope this helps to clarify how they charge for motorhomes on French Autoroutes, maybe that sat dish, air con or roof box on the roof puts you up a payment class?

We have found the same with our S700 on the same 410D chassis. We do have a folding dish on top. We also have CB and Amateur Road antenna that go well over 3m above the ground but they are ignored. Always charged at Classe 2 even when towing the car on a trailer.

John

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Class charges

We are 3.2 meters and have on occasion had the class 3 price come up at auto toll booths, but we have found if you press the "help me I am an engilsh idiot button" and tell them class 2 camping car they usually ammend the toll accordingly.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
We are 3.25m high, 6.5t RV so should be classe 3 and if go through the auto booth always get charged that rate.

However I always aim for an attended booth smile broadly and shout "bonjour" as I have found that I then mostly get charged classe 2. :france:

Worth a try. :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
sometimes 3 sometimes 4

Sometimes we are class 3 and sometimes we are class 4 .. the small trailer gets through as a 3, but the bigger car carrier gets a 4 rating.. but we travel these days by non toll roads whenever we can...

Just to day went from our site and did 72 km out to Amiens and same back.. all National roads... running beside the toll routes.. managed to stop for a cake en route as well.. just as fast, better views and did not make the French any richer (except for the cakes):Blush:

Bob

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Sometimes we are class 3 and sometimes we are class 4 .. the small trailer gets through as a 3, but the bigger car carrier gets a 4 rating.. but we travel these days by non toll roads whenever we can...

Just to day went from our site and did 72 km out to Amiens and same back.. all National roads... running beside the toll routes.. managed to stop for a cake en route as well.. just as fast, better views and [HI]did not make the French any richer[/HI] (except for the cakes):Blush:

Bob

Never sure when to take you seriously Bob.

I know you love your hoildays in France. You use their facilities including N and D roads, and I guess that at some time you may have used a free aire or two.

Don't begrudge them making a living, they are working people just like you and me and they do provide us with maybe an unmatched country to visit at our leisure.

Jamie

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I think Jamie I have contributed this past 3 weeks

Never sure when to take you seriously Bob.

I know you love your hoildays in France. You use their facilities including N and D roads, and I guess that at some time you may have used a free aire or two.

Don't begrudge them making a living, they are working people just like you and me and they do provide us with maybe an unmatched country to visit at our leisure.

Jamie

Jamie, I think I can say I have contributed this past 3 weeks to there economy... well the euro pile has gone down somewhat.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Funny was discussing with Sue today as we drove back from the vets at Amiens.. the D roads are fast and straight with the toll road often in sight.. you should see the number of trucks on the D roads... less on the toll roads.. Now if the roads move trucks off the D roads to the toll roads I could understand. But with most tucks being in band 4 it is expensive .. so the trucks run the D roads to not pay tolls, but then effect the local environments.. shame they cannot make them free... not all motorways are toll in France as we know.

But yes I do object to paying tolls.. we do not do that in the UK (except the M6) and long may that be the way.. we get lots of our trucks off the A roads in the UK... I think the French have it wrong and I am not going to pay Jamie....I will stick to the nationals and other roads which are very good... that way my euros get spent in the shops.. they still get it, but not via tolls.

Do not always take my remarks so seriously....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Often I will say something to get a debate going.. love a good debate.

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
You're correct Bob, I am too serious.

I neither advocate autoroutes or am against them, it's horses for courses.

If you have loads of time ( a holiday ) then there's time to choose how to travel.
As you know we still work full time and often time is of the essence, most routes for us are faster via an autoroute.

That said we had a mini holiday last week and travelled as we used to (before un-retiring) diagonally SE across France from Le Mans to Moulins using mainly the D943.
It was a beautifull road trip and very camper friendly too, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and it made us very happy to do it.

But there are D and N roads we would not travel if there was an autoroute alternative whatever vehicle we were in, in the same way that there are some autoroutes we will never travel either, again whatever the circumstances.

Choices to suit your needs is how we see it including using 6 pieces of toll road in the 3 days before we got to Le Mans.

Have a good evening.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Jamie, I think I can say I have contributed this past 3 weeks to there economy... well the euro pile has gone down somewhat.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Funny was discussing with Sue today as we drove back from the vets at Amiens.. the D roads are fast and straight with the toll road often in sight.. you should see the number of trucks on the D roads... less on the toll roads.. Now if the roads move trucks off the D roads to the toll roads I could understand. But with most tucks being in band 4 it is expensive .. so the trucks run the D roads to not pay tolls, but then effect the local environments.. shame they cannot make them free... not all motorways are toll in France as we know.

But yes I do object to paying tolls.. we do not do that in the UK (except the M6) and long may that be the way.. we get lots of our trucks off the A roads in the UK... I think the French have it wrong and I am not going to pay Jamie....I will stick to the nationals and other roads which are very good... that way my euros get spent in the shops.. they still get it, but not via tolls.

Do not always take my remarks so seriously....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Often I will say something to get a debate going.. love a good debate.

Bob:Blush:

Totally different situation on Spanish toll roads, lorries are charged less than cars. Makes sense really as it should reduce the cost of transportation of goods, always assuming that the haulier passes on the cost savings to the end customer. However you do still see HGV's on the parallel N roads as they are not paying anything then.

In view of their current economic plight I wonder if they will decide to change it?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back