Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Hi everyone.
Have just enjoyed your 2 weeks touring Wales despite the rain, thank goodness for National Properties on those days. My question is, is there an etiquette as to which piece of grass is for your usage. Our van has the lounge door on the driver side so we tended to plonk our chairs on the grass bit to the left of the van, however someone then came next to us with a panel conversion van and it was on the hot day and we spent all our time having no choice but to watch them eating, whatever. They obviously didnt go much on that either as they had moved to another pitch early next morning. So really should we drive into the pitch so our door is on the right hand side or is it first come first served. Your views please. :Smile:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
We were on a lovely site at Norfolk where those behind us just used to walk through and under our awning.....grrrrrr

Philb

Free Member
Aug 3, 2011
Carmarthen Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
we have a european door sited on the right too. Tend to position so that the door opens away from other vans doors unless the view is too good to miss then we please ourselves, however we enjoy our privacy just like everyone else so its best to conform i think.. no great hardship

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I never walk on others pitches, that people give no thought to others and walk across other pitches is strange. While i would not stand for someone walking under my awning I do find those that moan about people walking over a corner of their pitch the strangest of all::bigsmile:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I always use the nearside (passenger) side as "our" bit of grass.
The habitation door is on that side on our Elddis.
As most caravans are reversed onto a pitch, and most seem to have the door on the nearside, plus awning etc, I usually reverse onto a pitch to follow suite. This seems to work most of the time.
If it means you have to drive or reverse onto a pitch to keep the staus quo, then that is what I would do.
Everyone gets a bit of "privacy" area.

If someone was walking through our pitch and in our "privacy" area I would have a polite word. If this did not work then a stronger word. If this did not work it may be worth having a word with the site owner/warden/manager that this person was spoiling your enjoyment on their site, and you would have to consider not staying there again.
I don't know what the rules are on a CC or C&CC site about that kind of thing, but I am sure a dim view would be taken of it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If forced to use a site we always park with the hab door facing the same way as everyone else but if all else fails you could always do as this chap has done and fit a portcullis to all windows and park were you like :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 117
OP
OP
Lindylooj

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
we have a european door sited on the right too. Tend to position so that the door opens away from other vans doors unless the view is too good to miss then we please ourselves, however we enjoy our privacy just like everyone else so its best to conform i think.. no great hardship

I agree but there were only two places on this side of the road and we were there first so really I think maybe they should have placed their van so their door was on the other side but takes all sorts and it was only for one evening. :Smile:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I get a bit miffed when, parked on a grass pitch, a huge caravan towed by a monster truck parks next to me.

They then erect a huge awning which means that they then have to park their vehicle right outside my awning door.

Grrr....I take up a lot less space that they do but pay the same amount.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what annoyed me a little bit on one site recently was the motorhome that parked next to us, and promptly placing his satellite tripod on the grass to the right of his van and table and chairs to the left. Basically he wanted both strips of grass. not a problem in the end as it amused the missus to accidentaly bump his sat dish when going past with her scooter, knocking it out of allignment. Strangely he seemed to have the same problem a couple of times:ROFLMAO:

as to ettiquette, it is commonly accepted that in this country, the grass to the left/passenger side of pitch when reversed on is part of your pitch, and the opposite when on the continent. It is never appropriate to walk through another pitch without asking first. Much the same as walking across gardens of houses....just bad manners and lack of respect

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Yes, that exactly reflects our thinking - we also have a European-sided hab door.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Happy days !!

If forced to use a site we always park with the hab door facing the same way as everyone else but if all else fails you could always do as this chap has done and fit a portcullis to all windows and park were you like :ROFLMAO:

I met that guy on an aire near the Dune de Pilate !! :Cool: Very nice chap, we got absolutely trashed with him, Kay was alive then and it is one of my endearing memories of our time together !!
Incidentally, it was on this aire that I took the picture of the goose ! Nuff sed !!:Cool:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The Scouts and Guides are trained to respect a lot of things especially other peoples tent sites and not to use them as short cuts.
Hoever the clubs' policy of reversing onto a pitch whatever you have does not help the people with Continental or American vans. This is why we prefer CL/CSs no jobsworth warden,no unruly kids AND parents,and no marked regimented pitches. And best of all no showers and toilets closed at 11a.m. for cleaning.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
We were on a lovely site at Norfolk where those behind us just used to walk through and under our awning.....grrrrrr

Ask them politely not to do it on the first time, if that doesn't work the next time they do it give em a clump

Simples

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I met that guy on an aire near the Dune de Pilate !! :Cool: Very nice chap, we got absolutely trashed with him, Kay was alive then and it is one of my endearing memories of our time together !!
Incidentally, it was on this aire that I took the picture of the goose ! Nuff sed !!:Cool:
We met him in Zagora on a site. He arrived with his mate in this.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 120

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Crikey

I had no idea it was all so complicated. My doors at the back and My van's only 12'long. We put a little fishing brolly with 3 peg down sides and a couple of chairs by the side of the door. Should it be at the side? Have I been causing deep offence?:Eeek:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I had no idea it was all so complicated. My doors at the back and My van's only 12'long. We put a little fishing brolly with 3 peg down sides and a couple of chairs by the side of the door. Should it be at the side? Have I been causing deep offence?:Eeek:

Only to people who need to get a life.

I've been shown to a pitch at sites and the warden has witnessed me drive front on, reverse on, even park at 90°. Tent on the back. Tent on the side. No one has asked me to move.

So long as you're not so close to another pitch that you're staring into their awning I can't see it being a problem. It's probably more of an issue with big vehicles and their awnings because if 2 point at each other things could get cramped and intrusive. Egos could get bruised :RollEyes:

Whereas with the size of your 'van, just park in the middle of your pitch and the people next door will hardly see you :winky:

I tend to point my 'van in a direction based on:
1) Slope
2) View
3) Privacy
4) Pointing the sun canopy towards the east, so I can dry my towel in the morning :Blush:
etc.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
what annoyed me a little bit on one site recently was the motorhome that parked next to us, and promptly placing his satellite tripod on the grass to the right of his van and table and chairs to the left. Basically he wanted both strips of grass. not a problem in the end as it amused the missus to accidentaly bump his sat dish when going past with her scooter, knocking it out of allignment. Strangely he seemed to have the same problem a couple of times:ROFLMAO:

as to ettiquette, it is commonly accepted that in this country, the grass to the left/passenger side of pitch when reversed on is part of your pitch, and the opposite when on the continent. It is never appropriate to walk through another pitch without asking first. Much the same as walking across gardens of houses....just bad manners and lack of respect

Did you not think here sited his tripod and dish where it had the best line of sight to the satellite?

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
door to door parking doesnt bother me so much...i dont care if the watch me drink eat etc.

what annoys me is, being the only unit on a CL/CS and some numpty arrives and parks right next to me....they have the whole bleedin' site to pitch on...why the need to be so close to others ? :Angry:

like being at Tesco or Sainsburys where we park as far away from cars so as not to hinder them Come out with the shopping and loe and behold there will be car parked right next to us AND on the hab door side making unloading a pain:cry:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Did you not think here sited his tripod and dish where it had the best line of sight to the satellite?

yes, he had to put the satellite dish on the right of his pitch for signal (or at the front like some caravans do), but he had plenty of room to place it on the gravel nearer his van. it wasnt even as if he tried to keep the intrusion to a minimum as he placed it in the middle of the 4ft wide strip of grass. then as I said set up his chairs on the left hand grass outside his canopy, claiming his bit of "garden".

each pitch had about 20ft of gravel (enough for a caravan, car and awning side by side) and about 4ft of grass, all clearly marked, so his van was 7ft away from the grass our side.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We took the van into Castle Douglas this afternoon and parked behind the Co-op, it has a largish car park and we were going to buy food there anyway. Five minutes after we parked up, another mh arrived and parked two bays along from us leaving a gap between the two of us. But despite the fact that there were plenty other spaces closer to the shop, this little old lady decided she was going to park between us and the other mh:Doh:
I watched carefully to see if she was going to whack the other mh as she got out her driver's door, but thankfully she didn't. After she moved on, another female parked between us again, being a bit on the large side, this woman nearly needed a tin opener to get out of her car! I watched as she carefully squeezed out of her door, as this time it would be us that got whacked.
It amazes me why people want to do this, I suppose it's the same as having the whole beach to lie on, but someone will always want to park right next to someone else:RollEyes:
I should add, it was teaming down with rain, so all the more reason to park closer to the shop.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Sorry, kind of wandered off the thread a bit:Doh:

We tend to reverse into a pitch as our lounge/bed area is at the back of the van, we try to park quite close if there is a hedge behind us, so as to discourage people from coming round behind the van.
We don't have an awning, so usually park centrally within the pitch, we've never had any problem with others facing into us, in most of the sites that we've been at as everyone seems to mainly face out the way.
If there was a view to be had anywhere, we would face outwards towards the view:thumb:
But nothing annoys us more than children running past the van early in the morning, anything before 11 am is early in the morning:winky:
Generally speaking, we always like to consider people around us and we hope that they would have the same consideration for us. But sadly today, there are more and more rude people around, who only consider themselves.:Blush:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Pitch claiming always amuses me, a couple of weeks ago I was parked on a corner pitch and struggled to find a sat signal, I eventually found the best position was on the segment of any mans land to the left of my M/H. Later in the day a caravan and 4x4 arrived on the pitch to my right and I assume thought because I had a sat dish on the left my actual grass area was theirs, he parked up his 4x4 to the left of his caravan (on my grass) and proceeded to put his very large awning up on the right of his van. An hour later his missus arrived in another car and attempted to park up next to the 4x4 , at this stage I thought 'hang on' and said you do realise your on my pitch, the woman (the guy was o.k) said no, your grass is the other side, you've got your dish on it!! I had to point out the location of other vehicles on other pitches before she accepted they had tried to put 2 cars on my patch. a big awning a caravan and 2 vehicles side by side right up to the edge of my gravel and they couldn't see, or did not want to see there was a problem, as I said the guy was ok and I had no problem with him parking the first vehicle, but the wife.... Jesus Christ!!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We always park so the opening door is on our pitch, reverse or drive in.:thumb: but like others on here it really annoys me when people walk across our pitch just because their to lazy to walk round. Think it's called respecting other people. I have in the past confronted people for doing it and it does embarrass them and they don't normally do it again.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We took the van into Castle Douglas this afternoon and parked behind the Co-op, it has a largish car park and we were going to buy food there anyway. Five minutes after we parked up, another mh arrived and parked two bays along from us leaving a gap between the two of us. But despite the fact that there were plenty other spaces closer to the shop, this little old lady decided she was going to park between us and the other mh:Doh:
I watched carefully to see if she was going to whack the other mh as she got out her driver's door, but thankfully she didn't. After she moved on, another female parked between us again, being a bit on the large side, this woman nearly needed a tin opener to get out of her car! I watched as she carefully squeezed out of her door, as this time it would be us that got whacked.
It amazes me why people want to do this, I suppose it's the same as having the whole beach to lie on, but someone will always want to park right next to someone else:RollEyes:
I should add, it was teaming down with rain, so all the more reason to park closer to the shop.
Lying next to someone on the beach - that's what it says on my restraining order.

Next time they did it I might shout "mind the dog m..... Oh sorry too late, most of it will scrape off and the smell soon goes.

OP
OP
Lindylooj

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Agree totally about the parking issue, we went to a large outlet centre parked right at the back and came back to find we had cars either side when there was loads of spaces nearer. Perhaps they were taken the health issue to heart and parking further away and walking ::bigsmile:

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Only to people who need to get a life.

I've been shown to a pitch at sites and the warden has witnessed me drive front on, reverse on, even park at 90°. Tent on the back. Tent on the side. No one has asked me to move.

So long as you're not so close to another pitch that you're staring into their awning I can't see it being a problem. It's probably more of an issue with big vehicles and their awnings because if 2 point at each other things could get cramped and intrusive. Egos could get bruised :RollEyes:

Whereas with the size of your 'van, just park in the middle of your pitch and the people next door will hardly see you :winky:

I tend to point my 'van in a direction based on:

1) Slope
2) View
3) Privacy
4) Pointing the sun canopy towards the east, so I can dry my towel in the morning :Blush:
etc.
People did giggle a bit at our van and I have to admit, when I went off to get water and saw it as they did I did realize it looked a bit as if the Lilliputians(?sp) had arrived.:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back