How do I use this Airide suspension (1 Viewer)

cmb

Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hmyer 544
Exp
Hi all

My Hymer 544 has Airide suspension fitted (see below) and I've got a couple of questions about it:

20120616_164620.jpg

- What are the recommended pressure limits for unloaded and loaded?
- How can I determine the pressure in each side?

Cheers

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have it on my FFB and the minimum should be 2 bar and maximum 6 bar. I run loaded at 4 bar and that gives me the best ride. try it at 3 and work up to find the most comfortable ride without it being to hard. I have a 12 volt compressor to make adjustments.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
at a guess.....opening the blue valve will show (and allow adjustment) the pressure in one side and opening the red will show the other side.

opening both will equalise the pressure in both and allow both to be inflated equally.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
at a guess.....opening the blue valve will show (and allow adjustment) the pressure in one side and opening the red will show the other side.

opening both will equalise the pressure in both and allow both to be inflated equally.

exactly right, just connect an air supply to the central nipple and adjust pressures in each side using red and blue valves... not complicated

the trick is to find the most comfortable spot for the individual van and loading. get it right and theres a tiny amount of sideways roll on roundabouts. too much and the van feels unstable etc

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
With the 2 levers in the position in the picture this will balance the pressure on both sides.
Leave them like that when you inflate, just connect a foot pump and away you go..
Try various pressures to suit the ride.
If you only want to inflate one side then turn off one of the valves and then inflate.

Simples...:winky:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I find 4bar is about right for my van. But do as mentioned above and start low and work up till you feel it's at it's best. Fitting the air rides made a big difference to the handling on my van.

Make sure the van is level when adjusting.

When you've finished adjusting, close both valves (your picture shows them in the open position).

You probably only need to put more (or less) air in one side or the other if you want to do a bit of minor leveling up when on site (but it will only effect the rear of the van and you must remember to equalize the pressure (open both valves then close them) before you set off again).

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
When you've finished adjusting, close both valves (your picture shows them in the open position).

QUOTE]

After being fitted I was told to leave them open and have done so for past 4 years.. ?
By being open surely the pressure inside will balance out more..... Airide state no need to close them but I think thats more in case you forget and try to inflate.:Smile:

This may be helpful to OP.

Link Removed

OP
OP
C

cmb

Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hmyer 544
Exp
Thanks for the replies.

Worked it all out this weekend. Also found a sheet of instructions similar to what tonka posted hidden amongst receipts.

Am currently running semi-loaded at 3 bar and it makes a lot of difference. As you can see from the picture it had previously been on 0.5 bar - I was taking roundabouts at about 2mph :Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
for information

For information.. Airlift (American Company) does a very good system.. I imported direct from them the Airlift 5000 kit.. that has a fully remote control unit I clip to my sun visor and allows me to set the ride as I go along... it is in good old psi .. I have a compressor in the locker and from time to time you hear it kick in and boost the bags as needed (not very often).. It is great for just the nice level ride I get, but also great to level it side to side when parked up.

Air assisted suspension is a great bit of kit I am sure those that have whatever make will agree.. cost me £300 to buy from the makers plus shipping and fitting.. I know for the RV's Signature Motorhomes stock the Airlift items.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back