Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
The fact that they are now having the hardware made exclusively for them is neither here or there, it's all about the OS.

Nokia thought that if they switched to Microsucks for their phone OS they would be saved.

That just hasn't happened.

If they only had Apple OS to contend with, they might have had a dogs chance, but Android is too well established, and I think their main competitor.

Apple has the street cred. Android and Microsucks don't, and that, more than anything else sells the hardware.

Pete:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I don't think ipads have flash player do they?
My windows phone doesn't either so can't play the link, I have changed my phone again to one that has, is the galaxy note and tez has inherited mine as he doesn't use flash a lot.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You sayin Tez aint a Flash git :Eeek:
With a Helicopter as a Toad:Doh::RollEyes:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Ha ha,wouldn't like to own one of them, that's the rescue helicopter based at John o groats.

Show only I'm told.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no, will be staying with Apple

I have migrated away from the Dells of this world (but I still do have 3 of them and one toshiba).. but these days I am in the Apple Mac camp... I still have my original IPAD.. works a treat.. use on on line every day while in France... plus as now I am on my MacBook Pro 15" and that does what it says on the tin... I can partition if I want windows.. but I do run Microsoft Mac word, publisher and excel... work oK on the Mac.... plus I have the Iphon4 and again does just fine.

My up grade to a iPad 2 or 3 to get the G facility.. but it is not urgent the pad is working just fine.

Took a lot of pennies to go over to Apple and I think it was worth it. No plans to go backwards and that is what I see it as... I like the OS on the Mac.

Bob

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
I have an original iPad and 2 iMacs in the office, plus a Macbook. Also an Asus transformer. I use the asus much more than the ipad. I am thinking of getting the asus padfone, though waiting on more user reviews first. For ipad users I came across a clamshell case today, which adds a keyboard. Clever idea that I'd not seen before. Hubby has a Windows laptop, which I hate. As an operating system windoze is rubbish imho.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
i use a key pad on my IPAD

I have an original iPad and 2 iMacs in the office, plus a Macbook. Also an Asus transformer. I use the asus much more than the ipad. I am thinking of getting the asus padfone, though waiting on more user reviews first. For ipad users I came across a clamshell case today, which adds a keyboard. Clever idea that I'd not seen before. Hubby has a Windows laptop, which I hate. As an operating system windoze is rubbish imho.

I have a Mac key pad I use at times on my iPad.. it is connected via bluetooth.. I also have a mac stand for the pad so it just becomes another computer if I need it to be. Plus a couple of different carry cases.. one I can slip my hand in to as a glove and use it to read much easier...

Lots of extras for the IPAD on the apple store or in one of the apple shops.. worth a visit if not to just play with the toys.. plus free wifi

Bob:thumb:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I have Win 7 and Mac (Old) plus iPad 2......But will have one of these new ones, the day after they come out.:thumb:

I just LooooooVe buttons:Cool:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I wouldn't get one.. However the RT model is interesting as it will mean there are now 3 large OS's running on ARM so hardware manufacturers are going to start doing a lot more with this platform. It will push intel to do more to differentiate..

I think this is the start of a whole new dev cycle in computer form factors and ideas....

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I wouldn't get one.. However the RT model is interesting as it will mean there are now 3 large OS's running on ARM so hardware manufacturers are going to start doing a lot more with this platform. It will push intel to do more to differentiate..

I think this is the start of a whole new dev cycle in computer form factors and ideas....

I was thinking along the exact same lines Karl... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting

GNU all over again?

Bob:Blush:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
GNU all over again?

Bob:Blush:

Gnu already runs on more CPU's and systems than any other OS. Even android requires the GNU toolchain.

This is more about the hardware. For years now I have wanted a top of the range ARM CPU in a laptop format. I might actually get one.

I also predict that within 2 years we will have a personal processor unit. This will be a very small box that includes a cpu, memory and battery and nothing else. This will be plugged into phones, tablets, laptops and desktop format devices allowingn you to take all your data with you and use it on a device in the most convenient format at the time. This won't be a dongle like device that needs a cable to connect, it will be more like a battery that slides into a slot becoming in effect part of the device.

For example the module would sit in my phone most of the time but when I get home I would take it out and plug it into my laptop. This would not only charge my ppu but anything I had running on the phone would be running on the laptop with no boot up and shutdown cycle or saving/transferring data etc.

All your bookmarks and contacts would be stored on this module meaning no more syncing etc.

I would further predict that within 10 years this module would be standardised across manufacturers so you could unplug it from your iPhone and plug it into your dell laptop or unplug your samsung one and plug it into your iPad...

Some devices you plug your ppu into will have additional processors so for example you can play high powered games. Or if you are a photographer you would take pictures on your camera and store them via a personal area network to your PPU. You could then plug the ppu into your main computer at home without once having to use a cable or transfer files...

Anyway. Enough of my dreams:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Basic, non technical reaction to this........

Oh, a tablet with a cover that opens out to be a keyboard.... Isn't that a laptop?:winky:

I know, it is a bit deeper than that but I never felt the need to use a keyboard with the iPad that I'm using now....... I'll stick with Apple, like Bob.

pat101

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
cornwall
Funster No
Exp
Any thing with the words Microsoft in it puts me off big time.

I'll stick with paying more for the apple stuff that works thanks.

Pat.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
This is really good news!

I haven't a clue what you are talking about Karl!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I haven't a clue what you are talking about Karl!
Currently you have only one choice of CPU type which is x86. You can choose between Intel and AMD.

The other option is ARM cpu's but as the only people who use this cpu are device manufacturers as opposed to general purpose computer manufacturers you don't choose an ARM cpu you choose a device and you have to take the cpu and OS you are given. Computer manufacturers will only make computers for which there is an OS/Software already available.

With windows now being released to work on ARM cpu's. Device manufacturers will now release computers in many formats and with a choice of CPU's. I believe within a year it will be possible to buy a netbook or small laptop with an ARM cpu as it will be worth it for these manufacturers now as they can make one that is locked down for windows RT (ARM) and a none locked version to run android, linux, BSD etc etc etc. The cost base will shared across a much greater volume. Up till now it wasn't worth them doing as the demand for an android based ARM laptop was not big enough to warrant the R&D expense.

Microsoft may have actually done us a favour here and broken our Intel tie in...

We are heading back to a situation like what we had in the 80's where we could choose between a 68000 based computer, an x86 based computer, an ARM based computer or many other choices. Variety causes innovation when it comes to computers... I must admit to being a little bit excited about the future of computers for the first time in 15 years (or more)...

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks Gromett.

I am really clear now:ROFLMAO:

I guess if you need to ask , you wouldnt understand its a computer thing::bigsmile:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I don't think ipads have flash player do they?
My windows phone doesn't either so can't play the link, I have changed my phone again to one that has, is the galaxy note and tez has inherited mine as he doesn't use flash a lot.

I am using an app which allows you to view sites using flash : iSwifter.:thumb:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I must admit to being a little bit excited about the future of computers for the first time in 15 years (or more)...

have to agree with you there...i work in the datacentre/network/cloud world and the things that are happening there are incredible...some very clever stuff happening

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Basic, non technical reaction to this........

Oh, a tablet with a cover that opens out to be a keyboard.... Isn't that a laptop?:winky:

I know, it is a bit deeper than that but I never felt the need to use a keyboard with the iPad that I'm using now....... I'll stick with Apple, like Bob.

This was my comment as of about a month ago!

I have an iPad from when they first came out and thought the idea of a keyboard was madness.

However, I relented when I found myself at Camera Club and Royal Photographic Society meetings taking notes by pen then typing them into the computer when I got home.

I am now able to alter a spreadsheet very simply from the keypad when we are on a competition night. Then using the system I have installed the spreadsheet is automatically on every device I use.

iPad
Samsung Galaxy
Windows laptops
iMac
Mac book pro

Indeed any device I care to log into!

I have found this to be a great time saver.

However I do agree that it seems a bit pointless having a small tablet and turning it into, well a small laptop or macbook air!

When connected it looks exactly like this new Microsoft product.

I don't like Microsoft either but am forced into using it for various reasons at my office. But I must say this new device which it explains is a computer, could be very useful. I look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Best regards

Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back