Tesco- overnight (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I'm sure this was discussed before but I'm looking for clarification from someone who knows for sure. I am under the impression that Tesco do not object to you overnighting in their car parks. This is because one of their senior people has a motorhome. I had Tesco customer services on the phone so I thought I would ask the question. The lady was quick to say no HGV's were allowed to park overnight in the car parks. I had to explain we were not an HGV..... She did go away and enquire though and got back to me a after a couple of days. She says that due to time limits on parking it would be at the discretion of each store manager. There is no company wide policy that allows overnight parking for motorhomes....
We are heading south soon and were intending driving til 10pm ish followed by an early start next day. We have never wildcamped yet so were thinking of finding a Tesco near where we are when the time feels right for stopping..Not sure what to do now. Probably be around the lake district area if all goes well.

Thanks in advance:Smile:

tommy_transit

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
north east
Funster No
MH
renault trafic
Exp
im a newbie
just look out for a nice pub around 8-30 ish and ask if you can stay in the carpark if you buy some food, we have never been refused yet, if you leave it too late the kitchen may be closed

tommy :thumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Most motorway service areas allow for some form of overnight parking, although the prices vary considerably, and there can be a lot of traffic movement overnight. Some sub-contract their parking and require you to pay via your mobile with a debit card.

Another alternative if you have a SatNav is to download a POI file of lay-bys that permit truckers to park overnight, preferably those set back a bit from the road to avoid buffeting from passing vehicles.

I've also heard the Tesco story but have never tested it - your chances might be improved by going to a 24 hour branch. Again, a SatNav POI file of Tesco stores would be handy.

On three occasions we've found the Canterbury Park'n'Ride Aire shut when we've got there and have had to use alternatives - we've used a lay-by on the A2 towards Dover next to Kent Motorcycles, and we've used the Medway Motorway Service Area. On the most recent occasion we parked in the pub car park next to the Park'n'Ride with the manager's permission as long as we bought a meal there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just look out for a nice pub around 8-30 ish and ask if you can stay in the carpark if you buy some food, we have never been refused yet, if you leave it too late the kitchen may be closed

spent two weeks in Cornwall many years ago doing just that in a VW camper.....only refused once, but we didn't ask until closing time. :Doh:

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
We spent a night in the Tesco car park near Dover. On the first occasion there were 3 RV's and on the second occasion there were just 2 RV's.

On the morning after the second stay, the security guard came and asked us if we had had permission. We stated we didn't know we had to :)Wink:), and he said that the Store Manager doesn't mind as long as we paid them the courtesy of asking before we do it.

We apologised and explained too that it was with the intention of shopping for last minute provisions before setting off for the port (which was true).

Hope this helps

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

We are looking at doing that in the future. Just for this trip though we want to get a few miles behind us and don't want to stop til 10ish to make the followind days trip a bit shorter so we can relax and enjoy it.:Smile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
My local Tesco (Wokingham) has number plate cameras installed, stay over two hours you get 'nicked'

Most of them are going down that route now.

Pete

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Tesco parking

All branches of tesco in Poole limit parking to three hours that said we have parked overnight in tesco Dover with no problems:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
See the supermarkets page on my web site for the facts about Tesco and other supermarkets.

Basically none of the big supermarkets allow overnighting officially. To do so could mean they fell foul of the 1960 Act for running an illegal caravan site.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As already said, the motorway services are your best option. Park in a quiet spot pay the fee and guaranteed no hassle, you can drive as late as you like and stop anywhere you like. If you are driving from north to south then you will undoubtedly be driving on motorways. Why add the hassle of finding an alternative for the sake of fifteen quid. Some of them include breakfast in the price. No washing up no hassle. Enjoy your trip:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use supermarket carparks regularly. I choose the 24hr ones, mostly tescos, arrive late and leave early. Never had a problem:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I use supermarket carparks regularly. I choose the 24hr ones, mostly tescos, arrive late and leave early. Never had a problem:thumb:
Number plate recognition two hour limit in all 24hr Tesco car parks around here, all run by NCPs or similar. Tesco's are not interested. You will receive a fine if you stay longer.:thumb:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Buttons

These "Fines" you refer to are not actually fines they are an invoice requesting payment.

They do say parking fine at the top but they are not fines as such!

Ignore any that you receive, you will get other threatening letters promising action by the bailiff's (thats probably the guy sat at the next desk) they will soon get fed up of sending them out if they receive no response from you, after all that costs them money I.E. postage and such.

Do NOT pay any that are sent to you they are NOT enforceable by any law in this country.

You do not enter into any contract in writing when you use these carparks that have these camera's in place. They are not ANPR camera's they merely photograph your number plate the companies then apply to the DVLA for the registered keeper of the vehicle.

If more people were aware of the facts and did not pay these "invoices" these companies would soon be out of business.

Pete

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My local Tesco (Wokingham) has number plate cameras installed, stay over two hours you get 'nicked'

Most of them are going down that route now.

Pete

Eastbourne Tesco likewise, however I have seen motorhomes now and then in the Homebase carpark next to Tesco. Much used by boy racers so I wouldn't fancy it.

up4it

Free Member
Sep 7, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
February 2011
Tesco Gillingham Kent now has 3hr limit,signs only visible on way out high on lampost not in your normal sight line.
Commuter coach companies do have their pick up points near large store car parks,and the car park is not so full now,this subject was covered a little while ago by Dom Littlewood on TV,if I remember right the signs must not have the words Fine or Penalty on them and must be in a prominent position.

Do you think Tesco would have a Comany monitoring its car park that was not lawful ?. And yes I have received a Parking Charge at Wick car park and Yes I Did Pay £70:cry:If you feel lucky Do not pay was what I was told.
Gus

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
These "Fines" you refer to are not actually fines they are an invoice requesting payment.
Ignore any that you receive, you will get other threatening letters promising action by the bailiff's (thats probably the guy sat at the next desk) they will soon get fed up of sending them out if they receive no response from you, after all that costs them money I.E. postage and such.
Do NOT pay any that are sent to you they are NOT enforceable by any law in this country.
You do not enter into any contract in writing when you use these carparks that have these camera's in place. They are not ANPR camera's they merely photograph your number plate the companies then apply to the DVLA for the registered keeper of the vehicle.
If more people were aware of the facts and did not pay these "invoices" these companies would soon be out of business.
Pete
That is very true Pete but not everyone is as confident as you or I, some are disturbed when they received threats of higher costs and if payment is not received in full within x working days the bailiff will enter your property and take goods to the sum of. We know that the bailiff has to be invited before he can enter your property. Not everyone does.:Sad:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Having been a HGV driver for many years before I took early retirement I know of a few places to stay en route as it were..PM me your route (ish) from Scotland and I'll PM you details of decent parking places...

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
They can't enforce any penalty, simply because they don't know who was driving the vehicle and, unlike Police/LA type parking fines, you are not obliged to tell them. :Cool:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Contracts do to have to be in writing

Pete

Peter sorry you are wrong.. a contract does not have to be in writing. The very good legal case of Shoe Lane Parking deals with the offer and acceptance rules.. it is based on where the notice is placed. If you park and there is a contractual notice at the entrance then you have entered in to that contract unless it comes within the European Law of 'Unfair Contract Terms Act' i.e small print and being unfair.

But there is no need to have a written contract to make it legal and enforceable.

Bob (retied lawyer):Blush:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
firstly a court order has to be in force

That is very true Pete but not everyone is as confident as you or I, some are disturbed when they received threats of higher costs and if payment is not received in full within x working days the bailiff will enter your property and take goods to the sum of. We know that the bailiff has to be invited before he can enter your property. Not everyone does.:Sad:

Buttons, firstly before a bailiff can enter there has to be a valid court order of judgement for the debt.

This is a civil matter and my legal advice (for free) is to ignore the letters.. you may get official looking letters but unless they are from the court and have a stamp on them (it is illegal to send an N1 form to a defendant implying it has been issued by the court)...

You will get demands from the company, then from may be a debt company or a solicitor.. but only if a summons is issued then deal with it.. simple.. 'I will defend this matter' 99.9% of the time they give up.

You are not obliged to give them any information such as the details of the driver... just ignore them.

However if it is very very clear that you are entering in to a binding contract .. notice at point of entry with the terms.. then you may have a hard time defending the the matter.

Best to keep clear of these car parks that have cameras and 2 hour limits.

By the way you can only be fined by a magistrates court.. a summons can be issued by the county court and the magistrates court. Civil actions do not carry any criminal issues (well in respect of parking issues in this post)...

Just have to have a solid resolve to not pay silly imposed parking fees.

Bob:Blush:

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Overnight in car parks

We use the carpark at Asda in Lancaster for an overnight after coming off the ferry from the Isle of Man. We often see other Manx motorhomes there. We go and do some shopping too and it's a 24hr one. Beware though for early risers, their cafeteria doesn't start serving breakfast early enough.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons, firstly before a bailiff can enter there has to be a valid court order of judgement for the debt.

This is a civil matter and my legal advice (for free) is to ignore the letters.. you may get official looking letters but unless they are from the court and have a stamp on them (it is illegal to send an N1 form to a defendant implying it has been issued by the court)...

You will get demands from the company, then from may be a debt company or a solicitor.. but only if a summons is issued then deal with it.. simple.. 'I will defend this matter' 99.9% of the time they give up.

You are not obliged to give them any information such as the details of the driver... just ignore them.

However if it is very very clear that you are entering in to a binding contract .. notice at point of entry with the terms.. then you may have a hard time defending the the matter.

Best to keep clear of these car parks that have cameras and 2 hour limits.

By the way you can only be fined by a magistrates court.. a summons can be issued by the county court and the magistrates court. Civil actions do not carry any criminal issues (well in respect of parking issues in this post)...

Just have to have a solid resolve to not pay silly imposed parking fees.

Bob:Blush:
Thank you Bob for that interesting and as always useful advice:thumb:, if I can do anything for you in return, just ask.:winky:

Selling that wonderful yank of yours must be tearing at your heartstrings. It is most definitely the nicest and best equipped RV that I have come across. It outshines any euro box on the market and I can honestly say I am tempted. Only the Tardis could offer more luxury interior space than your amazing 23’9 Winnebago Aspect 23D. It is a true go anywhere motorhome at a very affordable price.:thumb:
How’s that for a start:winky:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Selling that wonderful yank of yours must be tearing at your heartstrings. It is most definitely the nicest and best equipped RV that I have come across. It outshines any euro box on the market and I can honestly say I am tempted. Only the Tardis could offer more luxury interior space than your amazing 23’9 Winnebago Aspect 23D. It is a true go anywhere motorhome at a very affordable price.:thumb:

All very true, but you are still creeping. :ROFLMAO:

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Bob

Bobis just typical that what comes up for sale, sounding like a wonderful RV comes just weeks after we bought our new MH. Otherwise I think you would have had a sale right here.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Notices sent out by private parking companies may be invoices rather than fines but the more that people abuse the system the more restrictions there will be. Tesco and others have only brought in these systems in the past couple of years because of abuse if their (shopper) car parks. If motorhome owners start overnighting without permission the likelihood of height barriers will be increased.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Plymouth

Anyone using the Plymouth port for ferries to France and Spain and looking for an overnight stop, will find one at Lee Mill behind a garage. Not sure how much it costs tho! The P&R at Plympton has a height barrier but there is a small car park out off sight to the right of B&Q. I dare say it could be used for an over night stop. It is near to Sainsburys and a McDonalds.:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back