Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I had a few days away last weekend at Whitemead in Lydney. Anyway just back from swimming with the kids, there all hungry so I say I'll do Pizza!
So I dig them out the freezer, chuck them in the oven, and then the dog is nagging for a walk. I think the pizza want be ready for ten mins, so off I go for a small walk.
On my return nothing outwardly wrong, I open the awning and smell the burning, I open the RV door to be engulfed by smoke :Eeek:!! I knew what it was but it still worried the hell out of me. What if I had actually burned the van out!:cry:
Lesson learned, don't leave the van unatended with stuff in the oven.:Blush:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Especially so in RVs as my experience of them they are just a bit of tin, with a gert big burner underneath, talk about hot spots:Smile: did your smoke alarms work?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would also suggest not leaving elderly parents unattended.

When our van was brand spanking new we went to a site where I met my Mum and Step Father who were in their caravan. They decided they were going to cook a big Sunday lunch but ran out of gas. We volunteered our oven and went off to the pub.

An hour later we returned to find them cleaning up cauliflour cheese which they had dropped from the oven (which is high up) and which had splattered all the walls , floor etc within about a 5 foot radius.

You should have seen my wifes face:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Especially so in RVs as my experience of them they are just a bit of tin, with a gert big burner underneath, talk about hot spots:Smile: did your smoke alarms work?

Err, no they didn't! will have to check the batteries :Doh:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
never leave anything on that can cause an issue

If we leave Ezzie to pop to the shop.. we open a window with fly screen and put on the fantastic bent ceiling fan. and just lock but not alarm (In case it went off and she suffered).. we never leave a water heater on if not sitting under awning.. same with any cooking items.. always in attendance...

Yes check the batteries...

I may be insured... but I do not want to claim, I prefer the RV in the way I have it to an insurance pay out.. So it is always worth being extra careful.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paulh

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Hope it does"nt smell too smokie... Also, whilst we"re talking about leaving an RV, I try to remember to switch off any "hot" items and , if we"re on "city water", to turn off the site tap... Imagine the carnage of a pipe blowing off inside and coming back to see water cascading down the steps....:cry: I"m gonna" need a notepad for all these mental notes...:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back