Free Member
Apr 27, 2012
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2005
When I once bought a new car I had the paintwork treated with a special polish/sealer.does anybody know if there is a process for doing the same with motorhomes, the reason I ask is because the motorhome isn't metal its a type of fibreglass I think which means it is made up with a jelcoat.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you may be thinking of 'diamond glaze' and it should be suitable for motorhomes as its just a hard protective film...applied in liquid form.

seems to be a popular option provided by major car main dealers.

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
Organplayer

Hi David. Earlier this year we had our new motorhome treated by Paintseal Direct Ltd, both the whole of the exterior of the van and the inside including having the upholstery treated. Guarantee for five years. Cost £699.00 inc.VAT at 20%. Website is Broken Link Removed. Phone 01 283 703777. Hope this info is of help. Best wishes and happy travels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Our Dealer applied for £300.00 two years ago---http://www.stowmarketcaravans.co.uk/gardx.html
Armourgard
Gardx Armourgard is a revolutionary new single application paint protection system. This powerful new formulation employing Nano technology penetrates into the molecules of the paintwork creating a 2 stage protection coating on the paintwork which resists attack and contamination from pollutants and road grime.

Once the Armourgard system has been applied it shields against the effects of the suns UV rays, acid rain, sea and road salt and provides a high gloss finish which retains its appearance wash after wash. With regular Conserver maintenance you may never need to polish your Motorhome or Caravan again for the duration of the guarantee.

All We do is wash her over and it certainly is lasting. We notice that the roof is clean and that only needs a quick wash with brush and its all shinny again.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its a big con. just a super resin polish as can be bought at any car accessory shop like MER or the autoglym equivalent. £20 for materials the rest is a couple of hours labour

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Quick story about GuardX

SWMBO got new car, GuardX thrown in for "free"

Got scratched by a shopping trolley within 10 days. Boy was I mad. Took it to dealer, they recommended a local garage. Nice people, they said they would have to clean off all polish, rub down and respray the wing. But they suggested I tried to get GuardX to supply a "repair" kit to restore the "protection". Phoned GuardX, they rold me they do not supply except through authorised dealers, and told me it would cost £150 for their repair kit.

The car sprayers then phoned up the dealer, who was furious, saying it only cost £25 and what the hell were GuardX up to. They sent it free to the car sprayers.

Lessons learned. Firstly, GuardX are taking the mickey, they offer dealers huge mark-ups. Secondly, it seems to be a con, it doesn't appear to do anything, the car is no more resistant to dirt or easier to clean than the sister car we bought 3 months earlier (without the "free" GuardX treatment). Thirdly, if you want to maintain their worthless guarantee, then you have to retreat areas where work has been carried out at disproportionate cost. and, finally, don't park a new car in Sainsburies.

Of course those are just our experiences. And equally likely, people will disagree. Fenwicks make good products, Mer and Autoglym are fantastic and there is no substitute for a bit of elbow grease.

There is some great info on detailing in the forums, I recommend you search out the advice of some of the experts before you throw money away

Example: @Charlie http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/charlies-guide-to-detailing-sprays.116844/

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Dealers seem to have a long list of extras to sell, everything from paint protection, upholstry protection, paint chip protection, alloy wheel protection.
They probably make more from selling these than they make from the car sale !

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Done both my car and my camper with Colonite as recommended on this site!About £20 for a tin of it off Ebay.Alright I spent a bit of time doing both of them at the beginning of the year but everyone asks how I got such a good shine on them.I used the Colonite and a polisher I bought from Aldi for about £20!!.I have since been given a professional kit that apparently dealers charge anything up to £500.It consists of an aerosol can for the upholstery and a sponge that you need to pierce through the centre for the polish.It say's for professional use only on the box but can't believe that it can be sold for anywhere near the price that dealers charge for but son who is in the Car trade said it's true!!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Father in laws new BMW came with Supaguard he said they included it in the deal, too right they did and stuck £400+ on the bill.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back