Free Member
Feb 5, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New
Has anyone got any good suggestions around making and keeping ice. We have a fridge with an icebox but making ice and keeping it seems a struggle and it's affecting my holiday intake of G&T.

Just wondered if anyone has any handy hints

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use a household under counter fridge it makes ice and keeps it .great for making ice lollies or icecream when out in the desert . mmmm. just like kids .cocktail stick in orange squash . might add a bit of milk if your a good boy or girl.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Has anyone got any good suggestions around making and keeping ice. We have a fridge with an icebox but making ice and keeping it seems a struggle and it's affecting my holiday intake of G&T.

Just wondered if anyone has any handy hints

we tend to buy a bag in the supermarket rather than try and make it in the van. No issue keeping it frozen and its under £1

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Did not know our's had an ice maker in the freezer until the first time it dropped at load into the collecting tray at 3am !! Didn't half make us sit up in bed :Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Do you mean in a european you have no ice maker?

Do you seriously tell us that european boxes do not have an ice maker::bigsmile:.. boy, oh boy.. we have had them on RV's for 20 years plus.. almost a standard bit of kit with the big fridge and separate large freezer... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob.... p.s no I do not have on on my Winnebago.. but I know a man that does. I also can remember how he had to thaw the mess when it all got stuck.. and we waited many hours for an ice cube... they were rationed at one of the shows... If I want ice cubes I do put the water in the tray and yes the big freezer on my RV soon makes it in to useable cubes.

Bob

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I'll ask my daughter for the recipe,she's a chef!:Doh:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Even with an ice maker you can run out of ice........buy a bag and keep it in the freezer :thumb:

All the best Rick

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I use the ice cube trays that I have in the freezer at home, then pack the cubes into a freezer bag (or 2!) and put them into the mh freezer compartment :Smile:

Those blue freezer blocks that used to come with cool boxes are ideal to keep the temperature down in the fridge when on the ferry and the gas is off:thumb:

Make sure you freeze them first though:roflmto:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
easy buy an RV the freezer is huge all the ice you can ever want in it

no camping fridges in the RV range LOL
plus they come with Air con too

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I use the ice cube trays that I have in the freezer at home, then pack the cubes into a freezer bag (or 2!) and put them into the mh freezer compartment :Smile:

Those blue freezer blocks that used to come with cool boxes are ideal to keep the temperature down in the fridge when on the ferry and the gas is off:thumb:

I do the same, it works fine for us.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

i just left every thing on when on the ferry did not know you had to turn it off
fridge ran no problem and as we had two months supply of meat in the freezer i was not going to turn it off
have you seen the price of meet in Europe ?

(not should i be running an RV if i have to watch the cost of meet?)
ROFL :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
i just left every thing on when on the ferry did not know you had to turn it off
fridge ran no problem and as we had two months supply of meat in the freezer i was not going to turn it off
have you seen the price of meet in Europe ?

(not should i be running an RV if i have to watch the cost of meet?)
ROFL :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We think the gas has to go off for the ferry, (the staff check it, as far as we know:Doh:), I suppose if the journey isn't too long the fridge/freezer box would be fine for a few hours. I could turn vegetarian quite easily:thumb: but hubby definitely couldn't:Blush:
Margaret:roflmto:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I dont suppose many on here know that the cargo decks on ferries are pretty dangerous places. Years ago I used to work on ferries for servicing and installation work, often done at sea as the ferry carried on working

anyway, if we needed equipment from the van, it was a major opperation. you needed a crew member to unlock the door and stay in the doorway with a gas monitor and 2 engineers to go to the vehicle. To say the air was bad is an understatement, after 24hrs at sea, it was disgusting. Some of these gases being explosive too

one thing that panics anyone that works at sea is fire. therefore having a flame burning just inside an air vent of a motorhome is an absolute no no. To get an explosion or fire may take a certain set of unfortunate circumstances, but removing at least one risk can only be a good thing

Just ask the crew when you are being boarded to arrange an electric hookup and they will normally oblige. It might mean you being put on another deck with the refridgerated lorries, but its worth it if your sailing to Spain or further.

otherwise, just make sure its well frozen when you arrive at the port then switch the freezer off. dont open the door and it will work as a cool box, giving you hours before it starts defrosting. certainly long enough for channel crossings

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Yes our RV does have

A BIG FRIDGE :Cool:

A BIG FREEZER :Tongue1:

AN ICE MAKER :thumb:

And despite Ricks experience, it makes ice at a rapid rate of knots. I wonder at what speed he is drinking at. :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back