Volkswagen Winnebago Rialta ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I could be very tempted by this ...

1997 VOLKSWAGEN WINNEBAGO RIALTA 2.4llt Diesel

Link Removed

ticks all my boxes... so.. comments.. bad/good .. any idea of MPG ?

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jim .i would stay clear .they used to eat cv joints and had clutch problems . the t4 and t5 vw,s are not my favourite vehicles . far better i think to go backwards . the t2 and t25 had faults but were a better vehicle by far.
the flat front or the earlier models actually gave more internal space for the same sized vehicles .
plus after market fitting of turbo,s doesnt give the extra oil ways and oil spray that factory turbos had.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jim,

Unfortunately I cannot comment on these units mechanically but know that most sell them because they don't enjoy stooping down all the time. However I have always thought them a great vehicle.

I am sure someone I know has a newer one for sale. Would you like to check?

Best regards

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim,

Unfortunately I cannot comment on these units mechanically but know that most sell them because they don't enjoy stooping down all the time. However I have always thought them a great vehicle.

I am sure someone I know has a newer one for sale. Would you like to check?

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris.. I'm just looking at the mo .. not into buying mode yet, thanks for asking

Jim

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Hi Jim
Have looked at these in the past and found them to be a bit claustrphobic also as VWAlan says they tend to eat clutches.
I personally would leave it alone.
Bill

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
Jim, I have the older version, based on the Renault Trafic, similar interior though, I love it. My beloved does not like to drive though, (left hooker), but I dont mind that.:winky:
I cant say anything about the VW base but the Winnebago stuff is top drawer!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
The shower compartment is brilliant design.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
If I am not wrong they are automatics

If I remember right these are V6 automatics and were never sold by Winnebago with a clutch?

There is 3 versions of them.. the lay out is slightly different in each.. the toilet has to be seen to understand how it works... the walls with a the door slide outwards to give a bigger closet.

I have been on a couple.. they have a fair bit of room ... some of them have 4 seats (the rear two are off set to the front, and with the wider body the back seats get not such a good view. But as a two person vehicle they are very good.

Cult vehicle now in the USA and fetch very good money.

Do have a look at one if you get the chance. You might be surprised... and they are very European road size.

Bob:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bob .it says manuel in the advert . also 2.4 . think that should tell the tales.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
as you say Alan

bob .it says manuel in the advert . also 2.4 . think that should tell the tales.

But as far as I was aware that Winnebago did these for the American market and had to have the V6 automatic box fitted.. perhaps it has been changed back? who knows... but I know Dudleys had these for sale at various times.. the one's I looked at all had the auto box and even the one's I looked at privately had the same.

I was considering one of these when I was looking at the Roadtrek and also some of a similar build.. the the thing they did not have was a rear door, but a solid panel where the bed goes...

Bob

p.s looking at the photos, it has had an intercooler fitted later.. I suspect this was not supplied as a diesel at all and is a changed engine.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This is only a long-shot Jim but if it started life as a 2.4 naturally aspirated diesel and was later turbocharged by TB its a good chance its the straight 6 cylinder engine. This engine was later purchased by Volvo and is indestructible. Its the one used in the older LTs.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bob they did them with the 5 cyl 2.4 motor but in 1997 changed in the states to a v6 probably auto .but these were 2.8 i think you will find .
the straight 6 wasnt put in the. as far as i know.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Al, i was under the impression that the 5 pot was turbocharged by the factory not as an after market option. Thats why I guessed it was a 6 pot.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
vw did turbo them .dont know where the naturally aspirated bit came from. but 2.4 turbo up to 97 in the states then the v6 . still crap though . the t4 and t5 are crap in my eyes . never liked them .dont like the newer lt,s or the merc sprinter . merc and lt share same body . much rather have a t2or t25 or the earlier lt. ...look at the expensive engines on the sprinter and lt. also chassis rust on sprinters is very common . t4s are not nice.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
T4s one of the best all round vans vw produced ....best for reliability performance and space ...The t5 was a step backwards in reliability but the t4 was built to last I've owned 9 of them

Brilliant vehicles and having been in a few of these rialtos they are a great piece of kit

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
T4s one of the best all round vans vw produced ....best for reliability performance and space ...The t5 was a step backwards in reliability but the t4 was built to last I've owned 9 of them

Brilliant vehicles and having been in a few of these rialtos they are a great piece of kit
Hate to tell you this but the original post was done in 2012!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977

100% agree! With the T4 van tastic vans! have only had three. You only have to look at the amount of them out there. Agree the T5 is no where as good as the T4 in build quality etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back