elizabethh7802

Free Member
Mar 7, 2012
oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Hope someone can help with our latest mystery!

We fill up the boiler, turn on and water heats up no problem and once we turn the pump on there is a leak from the pipework on the outside of the motorhome (there are two pipes). The water leaking is cold water so I assume it isn't the dump valve that is causing the problem as the water would be hot wouldn't it??

Any ideas where the leak is coming from?

Thanks to those who are kind enough to reply.

Liz

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Liz, it would help us to help you if you could tell us the type of heater involved and exactly where this exteranl pipework that leaks is located, make, model and year of motorhome can help too.

D.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
I had a similar problem with ours.
on the side of the boiler is a red plastic outlet, usually with two pipes coming off it.
one of the pipes, usually clear goes to outside the van. you are probably losing water via this pipe.
The red plastic T is in fact a safety valve that let's the water escape if it over heats . Once the valve has released the water, it is finished and has to be replaced. The good news is that they are easy to fit and only about 10 quid. The bad news is that t
here a several types of valve, you need to take a photo of it to take to the dealer. my local dealer had most of them and sells them by the bucket load, especially after a frosty night, which is what caused mine to go.
hope this helps you.

Neil.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Assuming you have the ultrastore boiler, there would be two pipes through the vehicle floor, one is the drain tap the one with the yellow lever which should be in the horizontal position, if it is vertical this could be your leak, the water would be cold, the other a smaller clear pipe is from the pressure relief located on the red plastic outlet on the boiler as you say if it was leaking from here it would be hot, however if the drain tap was open I don't see how you could have filled the boiler so I'am guessing that you have also left a drain tap open in the pipework leading to the cold taps.

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I had a similar problem with ours.
on the side of the boiler is a red plastic outlet, usually with two pipes coming off it.
one of the pipes, usually clear goes to outside the van. you are probably losing water via this pipe.
The red plastic T is in fact a safety valve that let's the water escape if it over heats . Once the valve has released the water, it is finished and has to be replaced. The good news is that they are easy to fit and only about 10 quid. The bad news is that t
here a several types of valve, you need to take a photo of it to take to the dealer. my local dealer had most of them and sells them by the bucket load, especially after a frosty night, which is what caused mine to go.
hope this helps you.

Neil.

Sorry to disagree with you but this is absolutely wrong. The red fitting is an air inlet valve. Its sole purpose is to let air into the boiler during drain down. The clear pipe is there to allow for the one way valve failing as when it does it will let water out, so the pipe is fitted to route the water to outside the van.

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Assuming you have the ultrastore boiler, there would be two pipes through the vehicle floor, one is the drain tap the one with the yellow lever which should be in the horizontal position, if it is vertical this could be your leak, the water would be cold, the other a smaller clear pipe is from the pressure relief located on the red plastic outlet on the boiler as you say if it was leaking from here it would be hot, however if the drain tap was open I don't see how you could have filled the boiler so I'am guessing that you have also left a drain tap open in the pipework leading to the cold taps.

Its not a pressure relief valve either, see my last post.

D.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
of course you are correct my mistake, heres a link to a parts diagram that might help the OP Link Removed

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
As I said in my original reply, it would help enormously if we knew what type of heater we're talking about and possibly what vehicle its fitted in and its age. It is most likely to be a Truma unit but it could easily be an older Carver Cascade or a Propex Malaga or even a new Whale unit. Even if it is a Truma it could be an ultrastore, a C series combined water and space heater or a newer Combi model. Its even possible ( although unlikely) to be a Truma Therme.

Tell us what it is and what it is fitted in and we can probably give better advice.

D.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
As I said in my original reply, it would help enormously if we knew what type of heater we're talking about and possibly what vehicle its fitted in and its age. It is most likely to be a Truma unit but it could easily be an older Carver Cascade or a Propex Malaga or even a new Whale unit. Even if it is a Truma it could be an ultrastore, a C series combined water and space heater or a newer Combi model. Its even possible ( although unlikely) to be a Truma Therme.

Tell us what it is and what it is fitted in and we can probably give better advice.

D.

OP does say in thread title it is aTruma boiler, although as you say no mention of which model, I would still guess by her description that it's more than likely a drain tap in the supply to the cold tap that has been left open, as if it was the boiler drain tap left open I can't see how they would have filled the boiler still no doubt we will find out the outcome in time

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
OP does say in thread title it is aTruma boiler, although as you say no mention of which model, I would still guess by her description that it's more than likely a drain tap in the supply to the cold tap that has been left open, as if it was the boiler drain tap left open I can't see how they would have filled the boiler still no doubt we will find out the outcome in time

Point taken but experience tells me to err on the side of caution, I have known people to call things "Truma" for example when they've been something completely different. Bit like "Hoover" becoming a generic term for vacuum cleaner.

D.

OP
OP
E

elizabethh7802

Free Member
Mar 7, 2012
oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Boiler type

Thanks for the replies.
I will check this evening to see what model it is,I am sure it is a Truma but will double check and come back to everyone.

OP
OP
E

elizabethh7802

Free Member
Mar 7, 2012
oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Photos of boiler

We have finally managed to take a photo of the boiler and the tubes that appear to be leaking through the bottom of the van. It is the clear tube coming from the T at the top of the photo. We aren't sure what model it is but it is definitely a Truma boiler.
We have a 1995 Fiat Ducato Mobilvetta.
There doesn't appear to be a valve attached - can anyone tell me what these parts are or even where you think the leak is coming from.
Many thanks again
Liz
Sorry photo has uploaded upside down!

Attachments

• 2012-06-16 12.17.10.jpg
    2012-06-16 12.17.10.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
I'am really glad you mentioned that the photo was upside down, had me worried for a moment, anyway the part with the blue base and flat yellow tab is the drain tap, it is in the closed position at the moment there will be a pipe right underneath this item where the water would normally come out of when you place the yellow tab in the upright position to drain the boiler, if this is where your water is leaking from with the tab in the horizontal position as in the picture it is faulty and needs replacing, It looks as though the correct fittings are not in place for the cold water inlet and the hot water outlet and maybe some other fitting has been used , the top outlet is the hot outlet and there should be a red T type fitting there with a pipe coming off of it and through the floor, these normally have a seal in them to prevent water coming out of the boiler but allowing air in as a breather, if this seal is faulty water could also escape from here , if you take a look at the link I provided on an earlier post it will show you all the parts, as an aside there is also normally a small tube from the base of the boiler that leads out through the side of the van to just underneath boiler flue this is to allow any build up of condensation to escape from inside the burner housing, if this tube is blocked it can get a build up of water in there which would eventually leak into the van also if the actual boiler tank has a leak it would drain into here, I would still check to see if there is another drain down tap in the pipe leading to the cold taps as you said the leaking water was cold when the boiler was switched on, ..........Mark

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
the pipe coming of the top outlet where it says 10 L is the hot outlet now I would either suspect the pipe coming off the t joint just below the gas tap, seems to have something fitted in the pipe that goes through the floor this is normally the breather pipe, but I don't know what they have put in the pipe I'am now suspecting they have put a non return valve in line to stop the water coming out of the boiler this may have failed allowing water to escape, fill it up and turn the pump on and let us know if the water is leaking out of either of these pipes and we'll take it from there

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
OK its a 10 litre Truma Ultrastore but its been fitted using some dodgy pipe and jubilee clips. The pipe coming off the top (hot) outlet goes to a tee piece, one side of this goes into the van's water system and the other goes to the clear pipe through the floor. Between the tee piece and the clear pipe is a pale grey fitting which is a one way valve. If water is leaking from the clear pipe then the one way valve must have failed. We stock this item and it is cheap, a couple of quid from memory but I can check for accurate price tomorrow.

D.

OP
OP
E

elizabethh7802

Free Member
Mar 7, 2012
oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Thank you!

Many thanks for all the replies and help, I appreciate it.

Dave, perhaps you would be kind enough to PM me with cost etc when you get a mo tomorrow.
Liz

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back