Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I expect this question has been asked many times before but here we go again.

The house is on the Market and when (if) it sells we plan to do some full timing before we settle down in a new location.

We will not have a permanent address in the UK, so can you all give me advice regarding the admin side of full timing?.

I am particularly concerned about having an address for various bits of post to go to etc.,

Regards

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
The best option is to use a relative or friend's address. It needs to be someone you can trust and ,if possible, put you on the voters list.

Another option is to ask your house buyers if you can continue to have your mail delivered while you are travelling as you will not have a forwarding address. Ask them if it is ok for you to continue to use your old address for insurance etc. This is a much better option IMO as then you do not have to notify anyone of any change . You never know, they may be agreeable.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If it is only a short term thing the there is no point jumping through any hoops. Just use a family or close friend (grovel if you have to :winky: )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you have nowhere at all for mail forwarding. This service, though expensive, comes highly recommended. You get a text when you have mail and can log in, read it, even answer it. :thumb: http://ukpostbox.com/

Globalempire

Free Member
May 7, 2011
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi estcres

You need to get yourself over to motorhome365.com if you haven't already, its a sister site to Fun dedicated to fulltiming. The question of what to do with your post, driving licence, bank often comes up over there and you will find all you need to know.

Good luck.

Paul

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Wi fi

use the internet for all banking,etc We have no post other than junk after going online for all things a few years ago

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
use the internet for all banking,etc We have no post other than junk after going online for all things a few years ago

Most people do that, but when you apply for vehicle insurance you require a UK address that you can prove you live at .. ie ,on voters roll, utility bills etc ..

Address also required for Vehicle Registration and Driving License .. giving false information is fraud, a very serious offence.

Seasonal pitches are also popular with fulltimers, but here is an extract from a site in Colchester that doesn't allow fulltimers on seasonal pitches.. I found this out when we tried to book it...

People who stay on the pitch MUST HAVE a permanent residence, which can be verified by either a utility bill and a current driving licence or passport.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
See Broken Link Removed and make sure that your insurance is valid. Simply having a UK address for mail &c may well be insufficient.

As pointed out on that thread, if an insurance company discovers that incorrect information has been provided then the insurance may be invalidated with all the attendant risks of prosecution, bankruptcy &c.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Trouble is....

Trouble is I suspect that you can lead a horse to water etc... And provide all the information..... But those that want to try and beat the rules will continue to do so, regardless of the risks. Have we not seen that time and agin on the toad debates.

I fear some (not all) see the full time situation as a cheap way of living... Semi gypsi / traveller if you like but with an engine rather than a caravan. They talk themselves into thinking they are on some romantic adventure that is called full timing... Ducking about from temporary sites or on residential sites, of places that just want the pitch fee and do not care what the local rules are (read council) ... But it is not until the issue of insurance pops its head up do we hear all the protests. It is nothing new... Insurance companies have been checking the risk for ever it seems.. Just they see the full timers as a target these days.

Then you get those that have taken the trouble to do it by the book... Some (not all) are very righteous about it and what they pay. We all have to pay for RTA before our vehicles as is proper.. But we do not shout about it.

I have no issues with anyone that wants to full time, providing they pay there fair share of society 's bills.. Council tax, tv licence, insurance to be legal... It is those that free load off mine and others backs concerns me. Seems some consider it a cheap option. That I do question... Is it?

I am away now from the Internet for a few days... Will catch up in due course..

Bob

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Trouble is I suspect that you can lead a horse to water etc... And provide all the information..... But those that want to try and beat the rules will continue to do so, regardless of the risks. Have we not seen that time and agin on the toad debates.

Yes that is true, you are yet drink from the watering hole called "A Frames are legal" Which of course they are and no one here has ever been prosecuted for using one ::bigsmile: or given a valid reason as to why they are illegal.

I fear some (not all) see the full time situation as a cheap way of living... Semi gypsi / traveller if you like but with an engine rather than a caravan. They talk themselves into thinking they are on some romantic adventure that is called full timing... Ducking about from temporary sites or on residential sites, of places that just want the pitch fee and do not care what the local rules are (read council) ... But it is not until the issue of insurance pops its head up do we hear all the protests. It is nothing new... Insurance companies have been checking the risk for ever it seems.. Just they see the full timers as a target these days.

Full timing in a motorhome is a cheap way of living. That there after the word living is a full stop :Smile:

Then you get those that have taken the trouble to do it by the book... Some (not all) are very righteous about it and what they pay. We all have to pay for RTA before our vehicles as is proper.. But we do not shout about it.

I have no issues with anyone that wants to full time, providing they pay there fair share of society 's bills.. Council tax, tv licence, insurance to be legal... It is those that free load off mine and others backs concerns me. Seems some consider it a cheap option. That I do question... Is it? It is a cheap option,

Cheap living might be the primary concern of some or a pleasant bonus for those that full time for other reasons. But it is a much cheaper option than living in a house. Why do you imply it is not?

I am away now from the Internet for a few days... Will catch up in due course..

Bob

Enjoy your trip Bob:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back