'Are you a Gypsy?' Ikea tells caravan owner that Travellers are barred from its car p (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Furniture giant Ikea has been caught up in a racism row after insisting it was lawful to employ security guards to stop Gypsies entering its car parks.

The issue was first raised by Luke Massey, who was angered after he, his girlfriend and her mother were challenged as they tried to enter the car park of the Ikea store in Croydon, Surrey. The trio arrived in a camper van. Mr Massey said: "We were flagged down by a car park attendant. When my partner's mum, who was driving, wound down the window, he just said 'Are you Gypsies?'

Read More

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
We were at a Kent Rally at a school at East Grinstead and as we arrived so did the Police about 25 mins later.
Residents had reported us as a band of gypsies.:Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Surely Mr Joseph Jones would be acting more positively if he took steps to ensure that his members undertook not to set up illegal caravan sites in the first place. Ikea seems to have acted perfectly properly to prevent a trespass rather than authorised use of their land.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Graham, a point of order

Trespass is now the act of entering a place or domain with intent to damage or cause injury

And in the UK it is an absolute bugger to prove until AFTER the damage or injury has been caused..

Sooo.. Not so much a point of order but more a question.

Is the term 'to prevent a trespass' arcane or perhaps been superseded by something new, as in the form used it would appear it presumes guilt before the event ?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is private land

It is private land, only a licence to enter the car park is given. The company has a right to with draw that licence at anytime .. Also it is ok to check on anyone so entering... I think IKEA have done nothing wrong.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Graham, a point of order

Trespass is now the act of entering a place or domain with intent to damage or cause injury

And in the UK it is an absolute bugger to prove until AFTER the damage or injury has been caused..

Is the term 'to prevent a trespass' arcane or perhaps been superseded by something new, as in the form used it would appear it presumes guilt before the event ?

Jaws, are you one of them?

Slobobobobobobo & Treacle types?

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I run a buisness in a area that is completly surround by gypsies---Gates--locks--bars--cameras-- I am thinking as i sit here looking through my barred up windows, i feel like Custers last stand :thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I run a buisness in a area that is completly surround by gypsies---Gates--locks--bars--cameras-- I am thinking as i sit here looking through my barred up windows, i feel like Custers last stand :thumb:

Ditto = Salford

I feel like custard.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham, a point of order

The (civil) tort of trespass can be of three types - to the person, to goods and to land. There is also criminal trespass.

I was using trespass in the sense of trespass to land - defined as "any unjustifiable intrusion by a person upon the land in possession of another" and actionable in the courts whether or not the claimant has suffered any damage. This definition is included in parliamentary briefing paper SB05116 (www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN05116.pdf) which was published in February this year.

Could it be that the definition you quote is to goods/person, rather than land, or the criminal act?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Ikea sell so much shit they might well attract gypsies

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I'm going to IKEA this week.

The one that says it's Ikea Birmingham, although it's about ten miles away in Wednesbury. I must get out those tarot cards and borrow my wife's earrings::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No idea Graham ! Not being a legal eagle ( or indeed beagle ) I am just quoting from memory..

However.. a couple of interesting points raised by both yourself and Bob..

any unjustifiable intrusion by a person upon the land in possession of another

Now that statement is rather obtuse as the owner of said land must prove the intrusion as unjust or unjustifiable..

And Bob, whilst I agree with you absolutely........

The company has a right to with draw that licence at anytime

In todays litigious environment would a case not be argued that removing a licence based on the heritage of the person being stopped is tantamount to racism ?
I would suggest the licencee must show good cause to remove said licence vis vis the individual rather than the race ( yes I appreciate this is, in real life a load of tosh, but we are talking legal'ees here :Smile: )

Although not a gypsy in any way shape of form, I am directly related by marriage to a huge Gypsy family ( none of whom have been 'on the road' for at least 3 generations ) and do know for an absolute certainty the Romany community have played the race card on a few occasions .. and to good effect I might add

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I would have thought that we all have the right to allow or disallow who enters our property. The racism bit surely could only have come into play if you said you cannot come on my land purely on the basis of ethnicity. If you said this car park is for customers (as in buying goods from me) then what is the problem. Not many travelling folk buy Ikea furniture for their vans. Of course there are exceptions before I get shot down in flames. I regularly go to B&Q in my van because it holds more than a Toyota Yaris. Just think of all of the "lovely" flat packs I could get in a van conversion.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I would have thought that we all have the right to allow or disallow who enters our property. The racism bit surely could only have come into play if you said you cannot come on my land purely on the basis of ethnicity. If you said this car park is for customers (as in buying goods from me) then what is the problem. Not many travelling folk buy Ikea furniture for their vans. Of course there are exceptions before I get shot down in flames. I regularly go to B&Q in my van because it holds more than a Toyota Yaris. Just think of all of the "lovely" flat packs I could get in a van conversion.
If you had the hassle i had with them, sorry --- sod the racial and ethnicity bit ---if you drive new transit --speak irish--ask" how much money be havin in yur poket"--dont pay for items--- break locks off ---- dont come in here:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The problem is, until after the event who is to say the person or persons being refused entry is not a bona fide customer ?

I am only being devils advocate here you understand.. We suffer at the hands of travellers ourselves here in Thetford.. in fact we have just had yet another lot plot up within a few hundred yards of my house.. So it is back to locking everything up and ensuring all 6 security cameras are working properly every damned night again !! :Angry:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
The problem is, until after the event who is to say the person or persons being refused entry is not a bona fide customer ?

I am only being devils advocate here you understand.. We suffer at the hands of travellers ourselves here in Thetford.. in fact we have just had yet another lot plot up within a few hundred yards of my house.. So it is back to locking everything up and ensuring all 6 security cameras are working properly every damned night again !! :Angry:
Real Irish people live 300 miles away--if they turn up here and i detect the slightest tang of the accent, i add 500% to the price and say cash up front---they don`t seem interested then:thumb:
I have been bitten before-- not again !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
However.. a couple of interesting points raised by both yourself and Bob..(snip for brevity)

I think we have to separate the "race" issue from anything else. English Gypsies and Irish Travellers are ethnic groups recognised by the Race Relations Amendment Act 2000 and, as such have certain rights, including a right to a nomadic lifestyle. Those rights do not extend to other travellers (including motorhomers) who are not in those ethnic groups. See the Link Removed (picked because its where I used to work and had some exposure to the problems) for further information.

However, the rights under the RRAA do not allow the right to trespass on land. Ikea (in this case) are not withholding any licence based on race but on potential actions of people who might use the car park for more than the authorised use of parking whilst shopping at the store. As the last paragraph of the report referenced in the OP makes clear, Ikea have taken their action after identifying a problem and taking appropriate advice.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
No idea Graham ! Not being a legal eagle ( or indeed beagle ) I am just quoting from memory..

However.. a couple of interesting points raised by both yourself and Bob..

Now that statement is rather obtuse as the owner of said land must prove the intrusion as unjust or unjustifiable..

And Bob, whilst I agree with you absolutely........

In todays litigious environment would a case not be argued that removing a licence based on the heritage of the person being stopped is tantamount to racism ?
I would suggest the licencee must show good cause to remove said licence vis vis the individual rather than the race ( yes I appreciate this is, in real life a load of tosh, but we are talking legal'ees here :Smile: )

Although not a gypsy in any way shape of form, I am directly related by marriage to a huge Gypsy family ( none of whom have been 'on the road' for at least 3 generations ) and do know for an absolute certainty the Romany community have played the race card on a few occasions .. and to good effect I might add

Not just on race as they are only stopping caravans and motohomes.
A gypsy wouldn't be stopped in a car, so race is only one element, intent would seem to pay a part also.

Not sure if that would make a difference in court?

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
We found the legal ways too long wided down here--they pithched up here a few years back.
We asked them nicley to move on--we just got abused-robbed-laughed at :Eeek:
We borrowed the farmers BIG tractor next door, threw chains around their hitches and dragged them out in the road, then parked old machinery in the gates.:thumb:
Told them, if they come back we will use a fore loader and ram them out next time--- they have not been back :thumb:
After all , this is private land and they were not invited
Now with bars-cameras ect, we have to live in our prison :Eeek:
Law is just a ass--kick it

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
..... Ikea have taken their action after identifying a problem and taking appropriate advice.

Then it was poor advice.. and it was badly applied.

if they have a problem with illegal encampments they have every right to try and stop it .. but it's a whole different matter asking everyone who has a campervan / caravan what their ethnicity is before allowing access, in my this is opinion wrong and if i am not mistaken .. illegal ..

If this is legal then what's to stop them preventing access to say blacks, Muslims, Jocks, Jews, ... or whoever they decide is unwelcome.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

if they have a problem with illegal encampments they have every right to try and stop it .. but it's a whole different matter asking everyone who has a campervan / caravan what their ethnicity is before allowing access, in my this is opinion wrong and if i am not mistaken .. illegal ..

If this is legal then what's to stop them preventing access to say blacks, Muslims, Jocks, Jews, ... or whoever they decide is unwelcome.

Maybe if they have had a reccuring problem with `one` group or type of people they feel they have right to cover their buisness as they seem fit ?

The same could be said about all `hoodies`and the usuall areas they hang around in, police in shopping centres would question them more than they would me.

If boils down to what you can expect in a certain area and deal with it---just one hoodie in a car park = no problem ---10 Itinerants in vans =think again?

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

Or, even, Ford Focus drivers. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Meant to post this comment earlier and forgot. I wonder if the individual security guard simply got it wrong when asking if the people were "Gypsies". You're quite right, Jim, that that should not have happened. He should have used the generic term "travellers" to make it clear that there was no racial element involved.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
About 12 years ago we used to deliver to Ikea every night Croyden being one, as you drive to the back of the store you pass a traveller site, sometimes due to scrap cars and rubish etc you couldn't get in with an Artic, theft was such a problen that they employed a full time shunter and put trailers in to a secure compound 1 mile away......sorry as others I have suffered at the hands of the scum that seem to think if it aint nailed down it belongs to them, and even if it is solong as they can prise it up it's fair, like all on here I work for what I have and don't nick it off some other poor suck who worked for it........I am right or wrong on Ikeas side........I have said a million times if you want to break the law fine but that should be the end of your rights......might sound harsh but so is the 20k a year they cost me that stops me giving someone a job.

End of rant sorry.

All the best Rick

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Good on Ikea, now more companies and councils should start doing the same.
The gypsies/travellers have only themselves to blame for people not wanting them in their area/premises

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Meant to post this comment earlier and forgot. I wonder if the individual security guard simply got it wrong when asking if the people were "Gypsies". You're quite right, Jim, that that should not have happened. He should have used the generic term[HI] "travellers"[/HI] to make it clear that there was no racial element involved.

It could be argued that anyone approaching an IKEA car park was a "traveller" unless, of course, they were living there on the car park... in which case I suppose they would be allowed to go shopping...:ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back