Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
We are on our way to North Wales and decided to stop off at a park and ride and have a look around shrewsbury - No such luck each park and ride had height restrictions of two metres. Surely they want tourists to stop and spend money - maybe not. Anyway we gave up and carried on to Chirk where we are at a lovely site and there is NO Rain ::bigsmile:

Are all park and rides like this, must say it is our first attempt at parking at one with the van.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
P&R sites throughout the country do vary. Two of the ones round Shrewsbury are supposedly accessible via the bus entry routes - see http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/sal.htm#saa - but Shropshire Council does not publicise this very well. Perhaps dropping an e-mail to them at customer.service@shropshire.gov.uk telling them that you went elsewhere and why might encourage them to be more open :Smile:

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
not sure about all park and rides but we tried parking in gloucester, gave up in the end!! We live in bridgnorth which is about 12 miles from shrewsbury and you can park there near to sainsburys with no height barrier and its a lovely market town with the river severn running through!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
There is parking for large vehicles opposite the Abbey in Shrewsbury with no height barrier and a pleasant walk into town either along the river or up Wyle Cop.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The one at Meole Brace is accessible through the bus lane.

That's how I accessed it anyway::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
There is parking for large vehicles opposite the Abbey in Shrewsbury with no height barrier and a pleasant walk into town either along the river or up Wyle Cop.

I used to park in there to watch the footy at Gay Meadow with my son.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
All useable !

You can park at all the P & R's in Shrewsbury ! The drivers are supposed to release the barriers, but time makes that impracticable...However, you are able to park on the area where the buses embark their passengers,
the driver will tell you where to park !

I use them all the time !!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
The signs that explain about accessibility at Meole Brace aren't particularly obvious but it is as the others have explained. You can, however, park in Sainsbury's and walk up to the park & ride, or, as someone else has said, there's designated space at The Abbey.

I agree, a note to the customer service centre would be useful.

OP
OP
Lindylooj

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Thanks all, I do plan to send an email to the council as there were no signs saying you can access via the bus routes in fact we had to go through one bus route to get out. Lesson learnt - do more research before we head off I say. Made mistake of going to Wrexham today instead not nice and it tipped down though camp site 8 miles away had no rain thankfully as I had left roof lights open. :Smile:

OP
OP
Lindylooj

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
reply from shrewsbury council

Dear Lynn,

My apologies for the late response to you on this enquiry but I was seconded full time on Torch Relay Duties followed by Annual Leave and I am trying to catch up on all outstanding matters.

I am very sorry you were unable to park on the day in question at one of our sites, however, we are planning to update our web site with information on this matter which had been removed and to help with future enquiries.

We do formally permit motorhome parking at both our Oxon and Meole Park and Rides and there are signs indicating action to be taken upon arrival (Please see the attached). The available park and ride driver who will be in the rest room will open and close the barriers for the customer.

Buses arrive between periods of 15 and 20 minutes.

Unfortunately, without the height restriction barriers we would have regular visits from un-wanted visitors such as gypsies and in fact only last week a group arrived at our Ludlow Park and Ride which disrupts the proper use of the site and can lead to concern re vandalism, anti-social behaviour and littering.

I trust this meets the needs of your enquiry and again I apologise for the late response.

I cant seem to cut and paste the sign she sent that tell motorhome owners to wait here for a bus and the driver will lift the barriers! Not the best solution and we certainly didnt see this particular sign. Oh well we know for next time now. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back