Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
the 15" tv in my van is currently powered by 240v and is only used when on ehu . i would like to be able to watch it when not on ehu, so i was going to run it through a 150w inverter then i realised that it actually is the type that steps the power down to 12 volt via a inline box anyway ! so as the tv is rated at 60 watt /5amp [i have read that some tvs are only half that power !] is it feasable for me to run it direct from the nearby 12v supply [currently fitted with a 5amp in line fuse ] or just stick to the inverter plan? i have a freeview sat box as well but this only has a 12v dc lead anyway.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Personnaly, we use 12volt to 12 volt voltage stabalisers on both the TV and sat box, both of which are 12 volt via a 240 to 12volt brick type domestic units. If you go stabalised make sure you can switch them/it off when not in use as they will draw power, all be it minor. Our set up sees each unit separately switched so we only use what we want, no point in the sat box consuming power if we're watching a DVD:thumb:

Some say don't bother, to me it's piece of mind, each to their own.

The supply you have if fused/rated at 5amp should be fine, though again personal choice I always like supplies over rated and fused down, just peice of mind again.

If you have a 12 volt tv I would suggest best to power it from the 12 volt, ie forget the invertor as you will just waste your battery power with the losses in the invertor:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Greyman just make up a lead and plug straight into the 12v socket-been using one like that since I first got a m/n.If on hook up you can always use the 240 lead if you want,but I have never bothered.I have a switch that kills all 12v power in the van so nothing drains power.Also the battery works as a pretty good stabiliser :thumb: to help stop spikes
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• SIMPLE GUIDE TO 12 VOLT LCD TV FOR MOTORHOMES.doc
    2.9 KB · Views: 23

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Another point to consider is that every hour you watch the TV you will be using 5Ah from the battery so you need enough battery power (or ability to recharge through solar, say) to service that amount.

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks guys for the helpfull info[ especially the attachment terry] . cheers

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
i have a 15" led tv from asda... £85..
very slim and light.. only 20watts...
used with a 150w inverter it only draws 1.66 amps...

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
yeah thanks tonka my tv is a toshiba [came with the van] and a 60watt [5amp] power requirement seems a tad excessive doesnt it . im wondering wether i should get a new low power one like yours as that would increase my watching time approx four fold off my one leisure battery !

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Carefull with you current? Amperage on 230 or 12 volt and also what type of TV?

If yours has a built in DVD it's max current draw will show higher than a simple tele because of the DVD, ie it will be a fraction of that (5amp) if you just watch TV.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Carefull with you current? Amperage on 230 or 12 volt and also what type of TV?

If yours has a built in DVD it's max current draw will show higher than a simple tele because of the DVD, ie it will be a fraction of that (5amp) if you just watch TV.
you beat me to it Simon/Sarah.

most modern 15" LCD Tv's are around 2amps or less but the DVD circuitry, when watching DVD's, will bang that up to around 5amps

old style 12"/14" portable (CRT) TV's will run around 5amps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back