Do mh plug sockets work anything when not on hook up ? (1 Viewer)

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
they seem to go dead when running cab on leisure battery !
do they run low watage items 12v or under as i can only run things from ciggy lighter point there are two though one says 180w the other looks like ordinary type in front of cab using inverter when wilding which seems to drain its power from main engine battery rather than leisure battery ! can attatch inverter to leisure battery wth croc clips but both leads a bit short and dont want cable running all around cab to tv,pc etc suitable positions .

Also when off hook up how does hot water heat up off gas there is a control knob on my sargeant panel truma ultrastore showing a gas flame icon if that heats it how long does it take to get hot and how many litres of hot water are available as i think its prob like a hot water urn/tank ?
When on hook up i think it heats up on electric like a combi ?

Can anyone clarify these points for me as i think im close but need someone that knows for sure to confirm it thanks for your time :thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
When not on hookup only 12v sockets work, if you want 240 you do have to use an inverter which will drain the battery so dont leave it connected, the other option is a genny to give 240 power- it should be an inverter type 4 stroke one such as honda etc (but that can annoy neighbours)
It doesnt take long for gas to heat the water cant answer in ltrs as it would depend on what size tank the manufacturer put in,

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
2 pin sockets will only work on 12v....not 230v hookup.

gr038615_lge.jpg

3 pin 230v sockets will only work on hookup/generator/inverter.

gr038655_lge.jpg

your water heater will not work on 12v...only 230v (if fitted, not all are) and gas.
it is a storage type boiler and wont deliver hot water instantly.

probably a capacity of 10 ltrs and should take around 20/30 minutes from cold on 230v (if fitted).....a bit quicker on gas..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Err they will be dead if not on hook up, I don't think you would get enough power from just one leisure battery to convert to a high enough voltage to run owt with an element that needs a bit of oomph eg water heater or kettle, but I sit to be corrected. Furthermore I think you really need to keep the leisure batt optimally charged, ie a solar panel unless you keep the engine running LOL

The boiler bit usually contains 10 litres or so.

Our 2 12v sockets are exactly the same as yours, the one in the hab area is lower voltage off the leisure battery than the 12v socket (which is additional to the cig lighter) off the vehicle battery. I have absolutely no idea why, it doesn't actually matter in our case, just that if I need to use the 12v vac when the crumb etc situation gets a bit out of hand, I have to plug it in the front. The lead is really long so it's NP and prolly easier to use up the back than it would be surrounded by loose wire from the hab section socket.

But no doubt someone who actually knows what they are talking about will be along soon ....

Edit - I thought the OP already had an inverter? and I thought an inverter did give you mains power? I thought people ran proper hairdriers off em and proper kettles and all sorts? Could someone explain what it does do as I'm clueless what they are for if they don't do that?

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
And just a reminder...
To make the water heater work when using gas, Remove the cover from outside.. !!!
Otherwise you will just keep getting a red light and no hotwater..

Yes, electric 13amp sockets only when on Electric hook up or when using a generator.
There is a way to connect an inverter to convert your 12v leisure battery to work on the sockets but that in itself is a seperate thread and as mentioned large inverter drain the battery quickly...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our Autoquest had a Truma Ultrastore water heater which would work from mains or gas. We hardly ever used it on EHU. On gas it used to heat the 10 litre tank in about 15 minutes.

Our current van has a Truma C3402 combined water/room heater which works on gas only. That also takes around 15 minutes to heat the 10 litre tank.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And just a reminder...
To make the water heater work when using gas, Remove the cover from outside.. !!!
Otherwise you will just keep getting a red light and no hotwater..
A good point but it does depend on the heater model. We had to remove a cover on the Autoquest but it's a different arrangement with the combined heater on the Burstner.

Yes, electric 13amp sockets only when on Electric hook up or when using a generator.
There is a way to connect an inverter to convert your 12v leisure battery to work on the sockets but that in itself is a seperate thread and as mentioned large inverter drain the battery quickly...
Best to get into a routine where you use only appliances suitable to the power source(s) available. We do all our cooking on gas and use a whistling kettle except on the odd occasion when we might be on hook-up. We don't have any other electrical appliances which are mains only.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I tend to consider the cab and the M/Home as 2 separate things-once we are stationary we plug nothing into the 12v sockets in cab-that would drain the vehicle battery.
The 3 pin sockets in M/Home are not 'live' unless we are on EHU.
We have 2x110amp leisure batteries which are topped up by 2x80watt solar panels and a 150watt invertor which is 'hard wired' to leisure batteries.
Truma boiler seems to take about 15 mins to heat up and takes about 1.4 amps when running.I'm not really into the maths,but,running heating and watching tv for a couple of hours followed by2 hrs on computer takes our leisure batteries down to around 70% and we are usually recharged by 1100 hrs next morn.
Mike

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Forgot to say that it appears that you don't have a handbook or manuals for your appliances. Autotrail have downloadable handbooks going back to 2004 Here.

Truma have downloadable instructions Link Removed and Link Removed.

If you post a list of the model numbers of the appliances you have then somebody might be able to send you a PDF copy (I have sets for our previous and current vans for example).

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks for your replies guys .

So even a low wattage item & under 12v wont work off normal 3 pin plug sockets when off hook up ok .

The inverter run off cig lighter is a pain cause ignition needs to be on first position to work which wastes juice to rear cam which is on a perminent live and whatever else powers on when key turned !

The hot water from taps is hot in under a minuite when on hook up,
so half hour to hot when run on gas seems ok as it seemed warm after 15mins the tank is in the box/pump set up is about 18"x18"x18" roughly so prob hold up to 10ltrs of hot water ?.

Theres another control next to the ultrastore gas heat water knob which is ultra heat knob with 500,1000,2000 to set dial to which i think when i turn on truma ultraheat fire and blowers either adds to the heating temp or the temp of hot the water ?

If you dont ask you dont learn innit :Smile:

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

So even a low wattage item & under 12v wont work off normal 3 pin plug sockets when off hook up ok .

:

That right.. there is NO connection at all unless you have the mains hook up lead plugged into a mains supply or a generator.. These are MAINS sockets.. 240vac :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We use a 1500 Sterling Pure SinWave Invertor

We had VanBitz of Taunton in Somerset to install a Pro Combi unit.. This charges our batteries and via the Invertor we have 230 v power ... 1500 watts .. But you can get bigger.

We run a mains kettle, normal house 26" tv etc., .. We have 2 x 100 amp batteries onthe domestic side. We also have a battery master fitted that allows excess battery power to boost the engine battery as needed.. Nd you we also have 140 amp alternator that also transfers excess power backlot he house batteries.

A NASA BM1 allows us to monitor the battery state. We do have a generator built in to our chassis so we can charge everything as needed.

As mentioned you can get generators like the 2 lt Honda that has pure SinWave and is naive rotor with 2 sockets for 230 v items.

I would have a word with VanBitz.. Eddie and his crew know all there is about power in motor homes.

Bob:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

The inverter run off cig lighter is a pain cause ignition needs to be on first position to work which wastes juice to rear cam which is on a perminent live and whatever else powers on when key turned !

The hot water from taps is hot in under a minuite when on hook up,
so half hour to hot when run on gas seems ok as it seemed warm after 15mins the tank is in the box/pump set up is about 18"x18"x18" roughly so prob hold up to 10ltrs of hot water ?.

Theres another control next to the ultrastore gas heat water knob which is ultra heat knob with 500,1000,2000 to set dial to which i think when i turn on truma ultraheat fire and blowers either adds to the heating temp or the temp of hot the water ?

If you dont ask you dont learn innit :Smile:
the Ultra HEAT controls are completely separate to the Ultra store boiler....the boiler is a fixed temp output

the various numbers on the dial refer to the heating output from the fire....500watt, 1000watt and 2000watt.
it has nothing to do with the blower fan...only the fire/heater output.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks PappaJohn.
But you know when i turn on my truma ultraheat 230v fire it lights a gas pilot light so does it run on gas and electric together as per the 500-2000 watt knob ? or can it run on just elec or gas on thier own ?

I downloaded truma book as GJH recommended so will print out and read up later. But i like hearing info from you experienced guys. :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
No idea what model ours is but the gas control is on the RH top of the fire. The elec control is on the wall and the one for the fan if you want that on as well, (which works off 12v always) is on the top LH side of the fire.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back