Electrical Problem on 5th Wheeler (1 Viewer)

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi All,

Fifth Wheeler staying on our CL site at the moment. Has been here for a couple of weeks with no problems. Now every time he attempts to hook-up to electric, it trips out the supply. It even trips out the main house trip for the caravan supply which never normally happens.

I am no electrician and we have checked the obvious......hook-up lead and plugs checked ok. Tried switching all appliances off ( and 110 volt fridge) to maybe find the culprit but still trips. Even with the 240 volt supply in the fiver isolated it is still tripping at the hook-up point when he tries to hook-up. We have tried other hook-up points and same thing happens but other vans not causing any probs so sure it is his van.

Any advice before his wife files for divorce :Eeek:

thanks

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
If you have "isolated" the 240V and it still is tripping then the fault must lie between the input socket and the board.....see if they can see the wiring...has it been chewed by rats/mice etc? Has it ben crushed by something?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
when I had this issue a few weeks back it was suggested

A few weeks back it was suggested that my transformer box had failed when I had a similar issue.

It turn out on mine the main wiring run had been sliced through.. never found out how it happened.. another story.

Anway.. I spoke at the time to Alex at Calder Leisure and he felt it may be my transformer box... which as we know it was not and Eddie at VanBitz sorted for me.

But in the process I learned a lot about the RV electronics.. with the help of a multimeter ... removing the top of the transformer I could check the 110v and 240v side... interesting exercise and soon worked out that the 230v spurred off the 110v side of things. But as we know it was a severed cable it was not the transformer.. but that seemed to be the place everyone thought the issue was at... may be worth checking under the lid and see if any burn marks and if you are able to use a multimeter then you can see if you have power at this point of the system.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Trip

Does it trip when just hooking up supply cable but not connecting to 5th wheeler?

Rob

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Obviously points to a fault in the 5th wheeler. RCD tripping I assume. Always a pain in the *rse when trying to fault find - usually something innocuous, often caused by dampness.

In households, washing machines, dishwashers, fridge/freezers are often the reason for RCD to trip.

Keeps me in work though :winky:

Rob

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just a Thought

It could be the cable or connector between inlet and top of fuseboard in 5th wheeler. Just isolating supply inside won't isolate this cable.

Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back