Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have 2 x Electric Bikes which we bought at the same time as getting our 1st Motorhome.

Last year we toured down to Lido De Jesolo passing through France, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria then to Italy and returned back through Switzerland to France and back home.

I had always wanted to show my wife Salzburg and using our bikes was a brilliant and quick way to get into the heart of the city. One trip was along the Salzac River to Hallein and back. We cycled the entire perimeter of Lake Mondsee which again was superb.

Cycling into Lido de Jesolo was a breeze and obviously it was always easy to find somewhere to secure them.

Our bikes always have to be pedalled having the following settings, No Assist - Low - Medium or High. The High setting is a blessing when feeling tired after often covering 30 miles or so.

Anyone out there who can recommend some trips?

Rob

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Still use old fashioned peddle only power. :Eeek: What bikes are you using please. :Cool:

OP
OP
Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Bikes

I've got a Kalkhoff Pro Connect and my wife has a Kalkhoff Agattu. I always used an ordinary bike but my wife used to find it hard work and wasn't too keen. Since getting the electric ones we have been all over the place on them - great fun and you still have the benefit of a workout but not quite such hard work::bigsmile:

Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
We have 2 x Electric Bikes which we bought at the same time as getting our 1st Motorhome.

Last year we toured down to Lido De Jesolo passing through France, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria then to Italy and returned back through Switzerland to France and back home.

I had always wanted to show my wife Salzburg and using our bikes was a brilliant and quick way to get into the heart of the city. One trip was along the Salzac River to Hallein and back. We cycled the entire perimeter of Lake Mondsee which again was superb.

Cycling into Lido de Jesolo was a breeze and obviously it was always easy to find somewhere to secure them.

Our bikes always have to be pedalled having the following settings, No Assist - Low - Medium or High. The High setting is a blessing when feeling tired after often covering 30 miles or so.

Anyone out there who can recommend some trips?

Rob

Hi. with my Leci Bike, I have used in Cornwall , and cycled out of Looe, and Polpero, if you have been in this area you will know these are pretty steep hills, I used pedel assist, but not being an athlete and being 75 at the time I think this is good recomendation................Del

OP
OP
Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Love it there!

Love Looe and Polperro but haven't ridden there yet even though we had the bikes and were renting a cottage right in the heart of the village. We did cycle along the Camel Trail though - on conventional bikes.

Rob

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Caravan Club site near Brecon is right alongside miles of canal paths, we have 2 AS electric folding cycles and used them along these paths last year, recommended!!

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
The Stratford show in a couple of weeks plenty of riding there, we had our new bikes end of last year, after 6 months of searching and getting them adapted for us........and had them stolen at Oswestry couple of weeks ago.....so tomorrow a 440 mile round trip to collect our new ones.......I want to catch the thieves and have 10 mins with then they wont steal again.

All the best Rick.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
The Stratford show in a couple of weeks plenty of riding there, we had our new bikes end of last year, after 6 months of searching and getting them adapted for us........and had them stolen at Oswestry couple of weeks ago.....so tomorrow a 440 mile round trip to collect our new ones.......I want to catch the thieves and have 10 mins with then they wont steal again.

All the best Rick.

Hi Rick
Can I ask you what precautions did you take to secure your bikes?

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Rick
Can I ask you what precautions did you take to secure your bikes?

To be honest I must take some of the blame......The bikes were about a grand each they were on my Thule rack which locks the bikes to the rack........as we were at a meet of some 60m RV's (all freinds) that was the only lock I left on them that night......and the local Itinerants decided they looked good and snaped the lock......whilst travelling I have that lock plus steel ropes and vey good insurance locks, these not lock the bikes to the rack but also the rack to the tow bar.......unfortunately when parked there I let my guard down.

All the best Rick

Nov 18, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
Electrick Bikes

I've got a Kalkhoff Pro Connect and my wife has a Kalkhoff Agattu. I always used an ordinary bike but my wife used to find it hard work and wasn't too keen. Since getting the electric ones we have been all over the place on them - great fun and you still have the benefit of a workout but not quite such hard work::bigsmile:

Rob
I got the Kalkhooff website, the bikes sound fantastic, but they do come at a price, I hope you have got a nice big garage to put them in,I have the AS Elec Bike, small foldable, but very usefull. Regards Ronboyracer

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I think a lot of motor homers have AS bikes and when we were looking had they suited us we would have bought them.....Peter seemed very genuine and I think he would give good after sales service.....but we settled on Freego.....mainly because the dealer would alter what we needed for Rosies back injury plus a 4year warranty and two years on the battery......they have been superb bikes I hope the next two will be the same :thumb:

All the best Rick

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
We have two from this company http://www.cytronex.com/, ours are Trek mountain bikes converted, they now use Cannondale.

Not cheap but a superb job and they don`t look like electric bikes, what looks like a water bottle is the battery.

Unlike some electric bikes, they ride like normal bikes when not using the electric, so if battery goes flat you can still ride home.

Problem is we now have a 8 month hold GS puppy, not sure if I want the trauma (or the pain) of trying to train him to run alongside.

Steve

OP
OP
Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Expensive Locks

I got the Kalkhooff website, the bikes sound fantastic, but they do come at a price, I hope you have got a nice big garage to put them in,I have the AS Elec Bike, small foldable, but very usefull. Regards Ronboyracer

We bought 2 x Kryptonite New York D Locks - not cheap but got lots of good write ups from various Bike Websites.

We always try to lock one to an immovable structure and the 2nd bike to the 1st. Both bikes are locked together reversed so makes it difficult to get to batteries. So far so good:Smile:

Rob

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009

Rob

You certainly have gone for quality! Last year we met an Australian guy - no spring chicken - who had flown first to the UK (where he had family) then to Nice where he bought a new Kalkhoff - don't ask me which model but it was clearly a real top drawer bike. Everything adjustable. He also bought a lightweight tent and was doing the Mediterranean coastline towards Spain. Reckoned he could get 60 kms per charge - but had to go for a pitch with EHU to recharge his bike and was therefore paying the same ACSI charge as we were.

Only met him the one night, so no idea how he got on, but I could certainly see the attraction. He described the feeling of riding the bike in a relatively high gear for little effort as being "like Superman".

Steve

OP
OP
Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
You certainly have gone for quality! Last year we met an Australian guy - no spring chicken - who had flown first to the UK (where he had family) then to Nice where he bought a new Kalkhoff - don't ask me which model but it was clearly a real top drawer bike. Everything adjustable. He also bought a lightweight tent and was doing the Mediterranean coastline towards Spain. Reckoned he could get 60 kms per charge - but had to go for a pitch with EHU to recharge his bike and was therefore paying the same ACSI charge as we were.

Only met him the one night, so no idea how he got on, but I could certainly see the attraction. He described the feeling of riding the bike in a relatively high gear for little effort as being "like Superman".

Steve

I must say they are a lot of fun!. My wife's bike arrived before mine and after I had charged it up, immediately took it out for a spin.

The route I chose is going to be used for one of the road races in this years Olympics. For those of you that know Box Hill in Surrey - well it's quite a long climb. I found myself behind a Lycra clad lad on a racing bike and obviously 'going for the burn'.

I noticed him glance behind and assumed he had spotted me. He seemed to get a spurt on - but I kept with him, slowly narrowing the distance between us. Again, he looked behind and again appeared to put more effort into leaving me behind - no chance!

I could easily have overtaken him but I let him keep ahead and on reaching the top of the climb he veered off to the cafe looking ever so hot. I wasn't

Ten more miles and I was home, not worn out but feeling I had had a good work out.

Rob

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back