Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
Hi all when going abroard do you take spare keys and where do keep them have any of you got secret places its not much good keeping them inside the van if the van is locked . and the other set have been lost or stolen Thanks Bernie:Blush:

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
A door and ignition key. On a lanyard around my neck. I don't leave the van without it. The whole bunch of door and locker keys would be a little too bulky though! ::bigsmile:

I have needed the door key, as the habitation door has a habit of locking it's self occasionally when shut from the outside. I am told this happens sometimes with Mercedes.

Lorraine x

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I used to hide a key behind a rear light cluster, now i have a different hidey hole. Your imagination and mobility will dictate where you can hide one, plus some gaffer tape and a cable tie or two. It means that if i am unfortunate enough to lose a key,..the most i,ll need is a phillips screwdriver...not a costly locksmith:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Check out Wikipedia, 'drugs mule' for a more creative hiding place!:thumb:

Link Removed)

We hasten to add, we haven't used this hiding place yet!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, I have a set, and as I'm one to wonder off and go missing for hours, :winky: when Jane's trying to find me and get in the van. :ROFLMAO:

She has her own set, and say's one day she will drive off and leave me.:roflmto:

But it works well, and a lot better than leaving a set hidden in the van.:thumb: Bob.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi, I have a set, and as I'm one to wonder off and go missing for hours, :winky: when Jane's trying to find me and get in the van. :ROFLMAO:

She has her own set, [HI]and say's one day she will drive off and leave me.[/HI]:roflmto:

But it works well, and a lot better than leaving a set hidden in the van.:thumb: Bob.

It is a joke Bob... Jane would never ever leave a Super [STRIKE]Man[/STRIKE] Stud like you! :ROFLMAO:

I have my spares keys in the hidden van safe... the safe key I hide in the kitchen drawer and a spare door key is taped to a bit of the chassis near the step...

JJ :Cool:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
SWMBO carries the spare set.

I never get out of the van without taking the keys with me. Not since finding the auto lock mechanism worked by itself at 1130pm.....:Eeek:

:Blush:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Spare set hidden in the van, to be honest it wouldn't be that difficult to get in with out them if need be. You would be amazed how many keep there spare hidden behind the fridge vent. Now a load of you will need to think of somewhere else to hide them:ROFLMAO:

presto

Free Member
Jul 3, 2010
n Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
We hide our spare set in toilet compartment in sealed bag in bleach container

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Leaving the keys in or on the vehicle could inalidate your insurance claim.

Loss or damage arising from
theft whilst the ignition keys of your motor caravan have been left in or on the vehicle.

We each have a set and take them with us.

John

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Like many others we each carry the hab door keys and the cab/ignition keys.

If plotting up for a long time on one site it is worth putting the keys in a wee box ( so they do not know what they are ) and leaving them in the site office

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We do keep meaning to address this problem since having to effect an entry through the underbed locker when the habitation door got locked and the spare keys were in van.::bigsmile:

Attachments

• breaking_into_the_van [800x600].jpg
    breaking_into_the_van [800x600].jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 20

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back