Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Ok, it had to happen to me.... But I bet know one can beat this...

I came over to France on the Tunnel yesterday... being 45' long with the trailer is not easy to get the RV on the 'shuttle' but holding my breath I did it... loaded last as always with to euro vans ahead.. the whole carriage to myself..... time to get off come.

The doors open and I start up and roll forward I get half way through the doors and I hear a large hiss.. I roll a few more feet and it is hiss and nothing then hiss as the wheels rotate.

I though something wrong here then pop.. and a that is it. came to a halt. (I stopped dead - worried) then one big hiss.

I had blown my offside rear tyre ... but it is not on the outer wall of the tyre but a hole in the wall between the tyres (double back wheels). As I am hauling a 2,600 kgs loaded trailer I am now stuck... hazard lights on and a few flashed of the head lights .. got them running.

good job I am the last one in the train.. 20 minutes later we managed to get out on to the roadway.

Now what do I do? euro tunnel staff all done a bunk by now and I am sitting beside the cab of a very noisy loco. Question? do I call ADAC and can they get to the live side of the system? was I in France yet or the UK... (I passed the French sign on the way out? - afterwards)

I crawl very slowly.. hazard lights on from the tunnel to Euro Cite and head for the bus station where the motor homes park up. Boy that is some slow journey and long at 5 mph.

I turned the mobile on and called ADAC ... first time ever... Germany... hang on the phone number is for France.. anyway with a lady with some English I try to explain I need assistance to remove a tyre and put the spare on.

two calls and 1. 30 minutes and a breakdown truck arrives.. yes one of those little things... he stands there scratching his head... off he goes and 20 minutes late a much bigger truck... this one with an air compressor fitter.. he was trying to blow the tyre back on... (we only found the hole on the inside when we removed the wheel).. remember this is a breakdown truck not a tyre company. I wondered if I had caught the tyre on the curb in the train as there is not a lot of room for my yank.

Using my 10 ton bottle jack and my American stacking jacking pads we get the RV up off the ground... I had by now disconnected the trailer.. with my tools we managed between us to remove the true and put the spare on...

Now we hunt a new tyre in France.. shame as the tyre was only 10 months old and had done only 1,000 miles... The camp site this morning are trying to locate us a tyre.

Oh yes JIMS, light up tyre pressure units work.... I saw the light work as the tyre went down...

and yes ADAC worked and all it cost me was €20 drink to the chap that when that bit further to get me on the road... arrived at the site in rain and faced a set up late in to the evening.

Bob:Blush:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Real bad luck Bob.. hope you get sorted out soon and enjoy the rest of your trip..

sounds like you picked up a stone between the two tyres..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I saw the light

Hi Bob, hope you get sorted and resume your holiday soon. :thumb:

Hi JIM, I can confirm the tyre pressure monitors do work... as they say ..I saw the light:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We are now set up ... took as long as it does at a show:cry:.....

I am now on the site wifi.. the signal tower is beside the RV.. now more than 4' .. own water and 10 amp power.. good satellite signal .. a warm welcome from the owner as usual .. a lot of English motor homes and a few Dutch.. Site has improved a lot since last year...

Bob:Blush:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sounds like a great adventure Bob... glad it is all sorted...

My sources inform me that sometimes holes in the inner walls of twin wheels are caused by a sharp edged stone getting trapped between the tyres... The flexing of the tyres as you travel makes the stone wear through the wall...

JJ :Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My sources inform me that sometimes holes in the inner walls of twin wheels are caused by a sharp edged stone getting trapped between the tyres... The flexing of the tyres as you travel makes the stone wear through the wall...
JJ :Cool:

Logic says the other tyre is suspect too.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hope they inspected the outer tyre Bob, chances are that if it was a sharp stone that was lodged between the tyres it will have damaged/weakened the inner wall of the outer tyre.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we could only fit the spare

Hope they inspected the outer tyre Bob, chances are that if it was a sharp stone that was lodged between the tyres it will have damaged/weakened the inner wall of the outer tyre.

We could only fit the spare.. the company that came out was a vernal break down company... we will have to see what the situation is regarding getting a spare over here and then deal with the issues on our return.

I did not see any marks on the other tyre. .. but who knows.

Point noted.

Bob

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sounds like a bit of a drama but better happen when stationary than on the motorway. Enjoy the rest of your trip:thumb:
Dont forget to change the caps over to the new tyre or you wont know if that goes flat. Sorry couldn't resist it.:winky:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
already done that Buttons

Sounds like a bit of a drama but better happen when stationary than on the motorway. Enjoy the rest of your trip:thumb:
Dont forget to change the caps over to the new tyre or you wont know if that goes flat. Sorry couldn't resist it.:winky:

I have already done that Buttons... the breakdown truck driver was impressed with them... We are in the same place for the whole trip and using the car on days out.. so only have the return journey to do... looking at the miles I did it was only 173 from home to the site via the tunnel.. but as said, better it happened on the train rather than on the motorway.

Bob

Paulh

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Jeez, what a start. I can sympathise as we"ve had two blowouts over the years in France, both on a Sunday, one on the autoroute and one in "the middle of nowhere":cry:. First time we were left 3 hours on the hard shoulder waiting for monsiur to finish his "lunch" , second time we carried on slowly (5/10 mph like yourselves) and on rounding a corner found a superb restaurant/hotel/truckstop, only one thing for it, stop for a veeery long lunch and await the cavalry ... at least it gave time for swmbo to calm down...:Doh: Hope all"s now plain sailing and you enjoy the hols. We"re off to France in 5 weeks, can"t wait.:Smile:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Just a thought Bob, can Brian get one sent over to you at the site, as couriers go everywhere nowadays??????, Hope you get on ok and sorry to hear about your misfortune, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Jeez, what a start. I can sympathise as we"ve had two blowouts over the years in France, both on a Sunday, one on the autoroute and one in "the middle of nowhere":cry:. First time we were left 3 hours on the hard shoulder waiting for monsiur to finish his "lunch" , second time we carried on slowly (5/10 mph like yourselves) and on rounding a corner found a superb restaurant/hotel/truckstop, only one thing for it, stop for a veeery long lunch and await the cavalry ... at least it gave time for swmbo to calm down...:Doh: Hope all"s now plain sailing and you enjoy the hols. We"re off to France in 5 weeks, can"t wait.:Smile:

Nothing to worry it will be soon sorted

IF Bob watches his e-mails .....Come on BOB!!!!!!! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

ps:the cavalry is awfully sleepy

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Bob what a start, glad it is sorted, enjoy the rest of your French adventure.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I sent email as requested to you Frankie

I sent the details by email to you as requested.. have also sent them by p.m.

hope you got them.. ..????????

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
That is always possible, but I think Frankie may sort it

Just a thought Bob, can Brian get one sent over to you at the site, as couriers go everywhere nowadays??????, Hope you get on ok and sorry to hear about your misfortune, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

That is an option, but I am hopeful our little frog will sort it out... a little bit of communication problems at the moment.. Have sent her an email to the address advised and also p.m.d her with the info she needs... I know her mail box was fairly full earlier.

But just in case we are on Camping St Claire, Rue St Claire, Neufchatel-en-Bray .. Normandee... East of Rouen ...

The pitch number is 20 ..

the site telephone number 02 35930393

the tyre we need is 225 / 75 R 16 C ... we have a mix of Kuhmo and Michelin (old spare - original from the USA when made) have had continental before on the RV.. Brian switched that out when we had 6 Kuhmo's fitted last August.

Make is not important.. just to have the spare ... before we roll again... I will get them switch about later... We can take it to a garage if that helps in the car.. of a tyre company call out to the site as needed.

... just in case Frankies mail box has fall over as she said earlier it was nearly full.

Bob

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
No , not yet Carol , but without any answer from Bob I can't go further and get the tyre for Friday! Then he'll have to wait till Monday !:Doh:

Frankie:Smile:

very good to see another member helping out, thats what this site is all about, Many thanks Franki and hope to meet you one day, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I got beaten to the post on the stone thingy.

That's one of the things they teach you when doing the HGV training. Before setting off you check between the wheels for trapped stones etc and check the arrows of the nuts to ensure they are pointing at each other still. Not much use after the fact but hopefully will help others.

Good luck with getting your tyre sorted Bob. I would have the inner tyre inspected if I were you though.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Here you are Bob .... Just in case you don't get your mail straigh away:
DONE !!!
Tyre will be at the nearest garage on friday afternoon after 3.00pm.
Bring your wheel and job will be done no problem!

Whoops.... forgot to tell you tyre is 203,30 euros and 13 euros for the valve+ balance + work

Hope you have nice holidays ...now !::bigsmile::winky:

Amicalment

Frankie:Cool:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I got beaten to the post on the stone thingy.

That's one of the things they teach you when doing the HGV training. Before setting off you check between the wheels for trapped stones etc and check the arrows of the nuts to ensure they are pointing at each other still. Not much use after the fact but hopefully will help others.

Good luck with getting your tyre sorted Bob. I would have the inner tyre inspected if I were you though.
quite right,I was following a truck on the A41 some years ago. All of a sudden a half brick came up and hit my screen,it was caught between the tyres which then slung it up to me like a catapult! New windscreen and a very apologetic driver who had the courtesy to stop when I sounded the horn. He said he had left a buliding site where he had delivered some hardcore.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
thanks you Frankie

Here you are Bob .... Just in case you don't get your mail straigh away:
DONE !!!
Tyre will be at the nearest garage on friday afternoon after 3.00pm.
Bring your wheel and job will be done no problem!

Whoops.... forgot to tell you tyre is 203,30 euros and 13 euros for the valve+ balance + work

Hope you have nice holidays ...now !::bigsmile::winky:

Amicalment

Frankie:Cool:

Many thanks Frankie...

Have located the garage on Google Earth and will have a look tomorrow in the car so we know where we will be going on Friday p.m. At least I will have a wheel that I can put on the back until we get back to the UK then I can have my local truck people that normally look after the Winnebago switch the wheels about and check the rest in case I missed something.

Wonderful place MHF.. always someone to help when needed... many thanks for all the advice and comments... appreciated.

Will let you know how I make out on Friday.

Bob:thumb:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:ROFLMAO: perhap's I could cheer you up my mate who worked for Yate's wine lodge won the manager of the year the prize was a fornight in Kenya as he was single him and his best mate were going on the razzle when they arrived they were asked for their visa woop's they did not have any slept in the airport and on the next plane back in the morning so they ended up having a day trip to the airport in Kenya and back :ROFLMAO:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Best of luck with the rest of your break Bob:thumb:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
found the tyre place

Just been out in the car and located the tyre place... Sue went in (pouring of rain..saves me getting soaked getting the wheelchair out).. and they have the appointment in the diary for tomorrow at 3 p.m. So with luck we will be sorted.

Just need it to stop raining so we can get the wheel of the back of the RV... if it stops later we will have ago and rope in a couple of motor home owners near us. - same when we get it repaired.

Camp site is much better than our previous visits.. lots of upgrade work being done.. like 3 wifi poles now instead of 1. also noticed a new trading estate near by and have visited that this morning .... a sort of Dunelm Mills and the Range if you know what sort of stores are like that.. plus a few large clothes store.. Sue has those already ear marketed for a return visit later on.

Picked up loads of tourist leaflets so we can start to work out where to fan out to on this trip... going to do the 40 klm to Dieppe one day next week.. have a good look around for a change.. only ever seen it either getting on or getting off a ship.

Petrol today was €1.56 and diesel was @1.36 in the E'Lecrec store just down the road from the site.

Lots of UK registered motor homes passing through and one or two staying longer.. much busier than the last visit.

Bob:thumb:

Paulh

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Glad to hear you"re getting sorted, so good to know there are people like Frankie out there, restores your faith in human nature :thumb: Did you see a price fo GPL (LPG) by any chance ? Thanks.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
around .90 cents - 72p

Glad to hear you"re getting sorted, so good to know there are people like Frankie out there, restores your faith in human nature :thumb: Did you see a price fo GPL (LPG) by any chance ? Thanks.

Only saw in on the auto route and that was around .90 cents if I recall... fuel on the auto routes was far more expensive.. we were paying the same price as what we were paying in the UK.. we only took on €50 as we felt we would find it cheaper at the destination.. which was .10 cents cheaper... but n LPG ...

Bob

Paulh

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks, as always , gonna"try to fill up off the autoroute :Smile: