Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We used to caravan and now have a Motorhome. Can anyone give me advantages over towing a trailer/car behind motorhome as opposed to car towing a caravan? I know a caravan takes setting up a bit more but then you immediately have the advantage of a smaller vehicle to get you to those out of the way places.

Rob

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you have a small motorhome you really have no reason to tow a vehicle. If you are a motorhomer that likes to set up camp like a caravanner, ie awnings and patio plants, then a small car can come in handy when you need to get out and about.

I've never felt the need to tow, but then I've been a grateful passenger in cars that others have towed. :thumb:

OP
OP
Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hello Jim

Thanks for that quick response! My wife and I are loving our Motorhome and use 2 x Electric Bikes to get around. We have the type of bike that always require you to pedal and feel that we get a fair amount of exercise when using them. We've seen so much more with the bikes rather than keep jumping in the car.

Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we had a caravan years ago, great when the kids are young.:Smile:

But wanted a motorhome to tour, and that's what we do most of the time, but if we are going to be in one place as in Spain over winter, or an out of the way site, we take the car on a trailer.

So we have the choice, and sometimes we have the car with us.:Smile:

You have no choice when you have a caravan. :winky:

We go to Germany September / October and never take the car, we stay on stellplatz and the chosen form of transport are bicycles, the Germans are sorted with their cycle paths.:thumb: Bob.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
After years of motorhoming we have now gone back to a caravan.. for several reason ..

1) cheaper to buy and own, no tax or MOT
2) we have car to run around in
3) for it's size, (12ft) it offers more living space than a similar sized MH

the advantages of a MH are

1) you can use aires
2) you can wildcamp
3) it's quicker to set up on site
4) on board fresh and waste tanks

IMO , a motorhome is best suited for touring with one or two night stays, a caravan is better for longer on-site stays.. but in saying that, we have also toured extensively with a twin axle caravan..

A small campervan gives you the best of both worlds, but with a big compromise in living space and facilities..

There is no right/wrong , only what suits you..

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We used to caravan and now have a Motorhome. Can anyone give me advantages over towing a trailer/car behind motorhome as opposed to car towing a caravan? I know a caravan takes setting up a bit more but then you immediately have the advantage of a smaller vehicle to get you to those out of the way places.

Rob

I've been posting the same for years now.

It seems crazy to wear out a car towing it behind a MH.

Generally speaking a caravan offers better accommodation because of all the space a cab takes. A lot cheaper too.

If you want to tour - MH, if you want a long relaxing stay - caravan.

I must say, I've never towed a caravan so I may be talking bollox.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We've seen so much more with the bikes rather than keep jumping in the car.

Rob

Did you not consider putting bikes in a caravan ?

We love our electric bikes. Well, my wife is not quite so keen after falling off hers and sampling Spanish hospitals.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you have a larger motorhome and a family car it can be easier to tow the car with the motorhome as most of the popular family cars eg ford focus peugeot 307/8 cant tow a suitable sized caravan you need a 4x4 and the road tax on some 4x4's can be more than the motorhome and car and if you tow the car with the motorhome you can leave it at home if you dont want to tow.

in my circumstances and there being only 2 of us we have a smart and an a frame but quite a large motorhome.
the cost of insurance for both vehicles is around £900.00 the road tax for 12 months is £165 for the motorhome and £30 for the smart.
most 4x4's wont do the 40mpg of the smart on a daily running around basis and will cost more than £195 to tax for 12 months.

its just what suits your circumstances at the time.
i did look at 5th wheelers but the running costs of the large 4x4 was just prohibitive.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
if you have a larger motorhome and a family car it can be easier to tow the car with the motorhome as [HI]most of the popular family cars eg ford focus peugeot 307/8 cant tow a suitable sized caravan you need a 4x4 [/HI]and the road tax on some 4x4's can be more than the motorhome and car and if you tow the car with the motorhome you can leave it at home if you dont want to tow.

in my circumstances and there being only 2 of us we have a smart and an a frame but quite a large motorhome.
the cost of insurance for both vehicles is around £900.00 the road tax for 12 months is £165 for the motorhome and £30 for the smart.
most 4x4's wont do the 40mpg of the smart on a daily running around basis and will cost more than £195 to tax for 12 months.

its just what suits your circumstances at the time.
i did look at 5th wheelers but the running costs of the large 4x4 was just prohibitive.

I towed quite big vans for donkeys years without a 4x4, . There are several good modern family diesel cars that will tug a large van very ably.. and return over 40mpg .. no need for a thirsty 4x4

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought a motorhome, rather than a caravan, as neither of us has towed and we didn't fancy starting. At the moment the MH (second one) suits us as we are happy to walk/cycle/use public transport. If we ever get to the stage where we need a car to get around, though, we will trade in the MH and current small family car for a larger car and a caravan.

OP
OP
Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We Did

Did you not consider putting bikes in a caravan ?

We love our electric bikes. Well, my wife is not quite so keen after falling off hers and sampling Spanish hospitals.

Hi Brian,

When our two sons were small we always took our bikes. We carried two bikes on top of car and two on tow-hitch. Have always liked cycling and now with the two Electric Bikes we can go further afield. Often we end up having cycled 30-35 miles and hills that got in the way were no so daunting!

Oh by the way, my wife fell of her bike in Brugge - no injuries, just embarrassed.

Rob

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
We are going from a caravan to motorhome very soon (hopefully) the reason we are changing is that we have never moved the car once we got on site, we only chose sites that are a max 2 mile walk from villages or pubs etc and only do a max of 3 nights in the same place.

Andy

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well I for one never understood why some people with small sub 20ft m/hs tow a car ::bigsmile: why would you want to ?OK if you have a large RV that cannot get to most places :Doh: but then again a caravan may well be the better option-Good job we are all different :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Just about freedom of choice.

Had a caravan and loved it.

Have a motorhome and love it more.

Sometimes we have the car with us, sometimes we don't.

Sometimes we eat meat, sometimes we eat salad.

Wha't you don't get with the caravan is that choice. Unless of course you have a couple of shire horses.

The comment about having ot have a 4x4 to tow a caravan is ludicrous, but nearly all caravaners seem to believe it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back