Will Spain be safe next year ? (1 Viewer)

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
After weeks of saying they will not need bailing out........Spain now goes cap in hand to anyone who can help them.
Its in big trouble. Crime up . Rioting. Massive social unrest on the horizon as people take to the streets. And "Austerity" hasnt even hit them hard yet!

€27bn The amount being cut from Spain's most recent budget.
11 The number of days Spain's borrowing costs have been at least 5 percentage points higher than Germany's. Greece survived for 16 days without a bailout at the same threshold.
366,000 The number of people who have lost their jobs in Spain so far this year.
€19bn The bailout required to save Spanish bank Bankia from collapse.
62 per cent The fall in value of the benchmark Spanish stock market index, the Ibex, since 2007.
51.1 per cent The rate of unemployment among Spanish youths under the age of 25.
15 per cent The expected contraction in house prices over the next year.
9.8 per cent The amount by which retail sales fell year-on-year in April 2012.

( fugures taken from the Independant)

Its going down the tubes.........will it be safe to travel there next year ?

barry

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
After weeks of saying they will not need bailing out........Spain now goes cap in hand to anyone who can help them.
Its in big trouble. Crime up . Rioting. Massive social unrest on the horizon as people take to the streets. And "Austerity" hasnt even hit them hard yet!

€27bn The amount being cut from Spain's most recent budget.
11 The number of days Spain's borrowing costs have been at least 5 percentage points higher than Germany's. Greece survived for 16 days without a bailout at the same threshold.
366,000 The number of people who have lost their jobs in Spain so far this year.
€19bn The bailout required to save Spanish bank Bankia from collapse.
62 per cent The fall in value of the benchmark Spanish stock market index, the Ibex, since 2007.
51.1 per cent The rate of unemployment among Spanish youths under the age of 25.
15 per cent The expected contraction in house prices over the next year.
9.8 per cent The amount by which retail sales fell year-on-year in April 2012.

( fugures taken from the Independant)

Its going down the tubes.........will it be safe to travel there next year ?

barry

I don't think Spain will be any less safe than it is here.

There are places you would not go to in the UK just as there places you would not go to in Spain.

That will not change, but nor do I believe that it will get any worse.

Not so long ago there were riots, arson, and looting up and down the UK, so does that mean the UK isn't a safe place to visit?

Look at the high crime rates in the USA. People who have been there, always say it is a safe place to visit.

It won't stop me going to Spain for the winter.

Pete:Cool:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No one knows what will happen if it all goes pear shaped. It could get very ugly down the line. I certainly would not want to own property in Spain or Portugal right now as I just cannot rule out some extreme left or right wing governments rising from the ashes and grabbing land back from ex-pats at best or civil war/unrest at worst. Given very recent history its not even a far fetched assumption.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
No one knows what will happen if it all goes pear shaped. It could get very ugly down the line. I certainly would not want to own property in Spain or Portugal right now as I just cannot rule out some extreme left or right wing governments rising from the ashes and grabbing land back from ex-pats at best or civil war/unrest at worst. Given very recent history its not even a far fetched assumption.

Thanks Jim, for that upbeat analysis of the possible future for Iberia.:ROFLMAO:

Very reassuring.:Eeek:

PS
I expect JJ will soon be setting up an enclave for displaced Motorhomers.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks Jim, for that upbeat analysis of the possible future for Iberia.:ROFLMAO:

Very reassuring.:Eeek:

FACT: As we read this there are people strategically planning how to get all the ex-pats home from Spain and Portugal if/when it all goes wrong.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
In answer to the original post, In my opinion Spain has NEVER been completely safe.
Since they stopped me Aframing its best avoided.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
GO ON YOU LOT !!!! KEEP IT UP !!!!!!!!!!!

Just as I'm about to go out there to buy an apartment.....:Doh:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Bloody Hell Jim... I just put you forward to become the UK's Supreme Commander...

Please don't try to repatriate me... :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
GO ON YOU LOT !!!! KEEP IT UP !!!!!!!!!!!

Just as I'm about to go out there to buy an apartment.....:Doh:
Bloody hell, I could think of at least one funster you would be better off investing in :Eeek:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Never mind next year what about next month

We are on the ferry to Bilbao 1st week of July - turning right and into the heart of the riots and tyre burning:Eeek:

Thank god the motorhome has not got Dunlop written on its side:thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Dont be so negative....the property prices are plummeting, you could get the bargain of a lifetime.:thumb:

OH.. I aint negative it's all them above me in the thread....:ROFLMAO:

Been looking a long time as a family holiday getaway..
We haggled what I think is a good deal, the euro exchange has got better and the real good news!! Still going to be motorhoming though..:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Crime up . Rioting. Massive social unrest on the horizon as people take to the streets.
barry

Thinking back to Benidorm a few months ago. If they frighten off the tourists places like that will be instant third world. Millions with no income, crime gets worse, it would take generations to recover and if air travel prices increase it will never recover.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
OH.. I aint negative it's all them above me in the thread....:ROFLMAO:

Been looking a long time as a family holiday getaway..
We haggled what I think is a good deal, the euro exchange has got better and the real good news!! Still going to be motorhoming though..:thumb::thumb:

I know Steve... buy my apartment... it would be much, much more affordable than the one you are looking at but you would have a slightly longer walk to the beach... :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
tourism in Spain

Thinking back to Benidorm a few months ago. If they frighten off the tourists places like that will be instant third world. Millions with no income, crime gets worse, it would take generations to recover and if air travel prices increase it will never recover.

I consider they are already going that way.

Costa del Sol, February last year did not feel very safe in the evening and Mallorca in the summer was the first time I noticed locals don't really smile anymore (especially the police force).

They seem to have lost something. Something that was essentially Spainish.

Not sure what they have lost but it was not the same friendly atmosphere as in previous years.
We went to Mallorca at least once a year for twenty years but I doubt we will ever go back.:Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not sure what they have lost but it was not the same friendly atmosphere as in previous years.

Oh dear. We've not done much Spain, usually the quick package to the sun.

Benidorm, our first visit in March seemed fine but it struck me what a mammoth machine it is. All that food and things to support the incredible number of beds. The number of Spaniards ( and others ) that takes is mind blowing but with no ties to the place the tourists can just stop overnight.

Repeat that all round the coasts and it rivals a Hollywood horror movie.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having spent more years than I would like to admit working,touring and static in Spain, one thing I have noticed in recent years is the Spanish are making it more and more obvious that we are no longer as welcome as we used to be. Just maybe they blame us for the mess they are in. They have stoped most of the wild camping, forcing campers to use overpriced campsites, made there own laws up to stop Aframing, use underhanded methods to catch unsuspecting motorists and worse still......put the price of beer up. I think its disgraceful and all handouts should be stopped till they bring down the price of beer.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
and they will all want to get on the boat into safe- benefit -Britain like every other dud county, they all want to find a way here for a freebie :Eeek:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
England/Scotland/Wales and our Islands still have a lot to offer the "Motorhomer"........ :thumb:

Get out and enjoy this wonderful country... :france:

PS.............. I wish Jim would put an English flag in the smiley`s... :winky:::bigsmile:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
England/Scotland/Wales and our Islands still have a lot to offer the "Motorhomer"........ :thumb:

Get out and enjoy this wonderful country... :france:

PS.............. I wish Jim would put an English flag in the smiley`s... :winky:::bigsmile:

Excellent post OldMoMan. :thumb:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
made there own laws up to stop Aframing, use underhanded methods to catch unsuspecting motorists and worse still.....

Not quite right there Snowbird, it has always been illegal to tow a vehicle in Spain, that's why all car insurance policies include breakdown cover as standard, just that the Guardia Civil have been enforcing it for a year or so, probably to supplement their income as they are self funding.

On the subject of underhanded methods of catching unsuspecting motorists, they have been doing that for years, and not just to tourists, they catch their own nationals the same way.

As the owner of a substantial house in Spain I must admit to a certain uneasiness about the future, although I don't anticipate any animosity to expat house owners, they need our input into their economy.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010

A couple we know have just been on a Nile cruise. The ship has 85 crew to look after 200 guests. There was a total of 48 guests on the ship.
The Egyptians are desperate to get tourism back on track after their recent trouble, which is still on-going.

It has definately had a knock on effect on their economy and the world recession hasn't helped.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Not quite right there Snowbird, it has always been illegal to tow a vehicle in Spain, that's why all car insurance policies include breakdown cover as standard, just that the Guardia Civil have been enforcing it for a year or so, probably to supplement their income as they are self funding.

On the subject of underhanded methods of catching unsuspecting motorists, they have been doing that for years, and not just to tourists, they catch their own nationals the same way.

As the owner of a substantial house in Spain I must admit to a certain uneasiness about the future, although I don't anticipate any animosity to expat house owners, they need our input into their economy.
"Not quite right there" how is it that for 12 years I Aframed in Spain without one pull and since they are now skint through there own doing they suddenly start enforcing a law they have supposedly always had.
Have lost count of the times have been in a line of Spanish nationals and have been pulled out for a spot check obviously because I have UK plates.
I used to love Spain and the Spanish way of life but they became too greedy since they traded the donkey in for a BMW or Mercedes.
As you will have no doubt noticed all the roundabouts springing up everywhere nowadays with exits going into fields, who do you think is paying for all that infrastructure. They cant give houses away now because they have overbuilt so now they are improving the road system at the rest of Europe's expense.
Spain is not a third world country and its time it stood on its own two feet. Spain has long been of the opinion that there will always be Northern Europeans flocking there to retire with unlimited funds to spend and its no longer the case. Years ago it was every Northern Europeans dream to buy a villa in Spain when they retired, then the villas became too expensive so they were satisfied with an apartment. Then the apartments became too expensive so they bought a caravan and put that on a site. Then the Spanish doubled the site rents and the pound dropped and the rest is history. Am just grateful we didn't go into the Euro.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
"Not quite right there" how is it that for 12 years I Aframed in Spain without one pull and since they are now skint through there own doing they suddenly start enforcing a law they have supposedly always had.
Have lost count of the times have been in a line of Spanish nationals and have been pulled out for a spot check obviously because I have UK plates.
I used to love Spain and the Spanish way of life but they became too greedy since they traded the donkey in for a BMW or Mercedes.
As you will have no doubt noticed all the roundabouts springing up everywhere nowadays with exits going into fields, who do you think is paying for all that infrastructure. They cant give houses away now because they have overbuilt so now they are improving the road system at the rest of Europe's expense.
Spain is not a third world country and its time it stood on its own two feet. Spain has long been of the opinion that there will always be Northern Europeans flocking there to retire with unlimited funds to spend and its no longer the case. Years ago it was every Northern Europeans dream to buy a villa in Spain when they retired, then the villas became too expensive so they were satisfied with an apartment. Then the apartments became too expensive so they bought a caravan and put that on a site. Then the Spanish doubled the site rents and the pound dropped and the rest is history. Am just grateful we didn't go into the Euro.
Why do I get the feeling that someone has been done for an illegal A frame in Spain. :ROFLMAO: and they talk about a women scorned:ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I feel really sorry for Spain. They ran a very well managed budget that was in surplus until the crash.. They were fiscally responsible.

Their problem was that due to the Euro they got access to really cheap money (at German rates) Their interest rate was held artificially low. This caused the housing boom.

I think the sooner the whole EU/Euro thing collapses the better.

My money would be on Spain, Portugal, Ireland and Greece not being in the Eurozone by 2020... I give it 50/50 that the Euro will even exist by 2020.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Oh, we do think that we are soooo clever in the UK!!! It would seem to me that we would be talking about the UK as we do Spain, IF we hadn't "Lent" ourselves 325 Billion £`s according to the Guardian figures " the Bank said in a statement explaining why it had decided to expand QE to £325bn "

Now can we even begin to think of just what the UK would be like if we didn't "lend" money (Print) to ourselves. It would seem to me ( a chap travelling the highways and byways of life) that if Spain COULD lend themselves that sort of money....well this thread would not exist.

I spend lots of time at my house in Spain and I can tell you the the Spanish people are bloody wonderful and like the English people. Perhaps some of the people are giving a comment when all they have done is "Travel through" Spain or spent a winter (with and A Frame).

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Why do I get the feeling that someone has been done for an illegal A frame in Spain. :ROFLMAO: and they talk about a women scorned:ROFLMAO:
Not me.......As I said in the post, "NEVER HAD A PULL"
But the guy who sells the bread on one of the beaches in Morocco told me that the man that sells the beads was told by a Germany who was talking to a Dutchman in a bar in France spoke to the uncle of the friend of a man that was pulled with an Aframe. Who am I to disbelieve the man that sells bread.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back