Tow or trailer. (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Will need to tow another vehicle to get around due to my wife's disabilty.
Got to decide which way to go.:helpsos:
Either get a smart or similar with a tow bar or get a trailer for our Vauxhall Meriva.
Meriva is an auto so cannot tow, also a motobility car so would not want to fit it for towing as it will be changed in 18 months.
If a smart car was the answer then I can squeeze that in the driveway along with the meriva, a twin axle trailer i already have and hymer 694.

To get a car trailer then the other trailer would have to go (it get used quite a bit).:thanks2:

Which will be the best option - can't decide.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If you intend ever doing Spain it has to be a traitor (Spelling)
If not, A frames all the way

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thought I had read something about not liking A frames in Spain, thanks for confirming that, I think spain trips will be a while off, practice in this country first and then prob france by next year.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
RVOC is the sister site of Motorhomefun, also run by Jim, for those of us into American RVs. Just put RVOC into GOOGLE.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
However you tow it I wouldn't go for a Smart, a lot of metal for only two seats :Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is something to familiar with

It is a subject I am familiar with I regret to say.

I have all the power I need i.e V10 Ford E350 super duty chassis on my 23'9" RV (Winnebago - what else)...

I have a Smart.. very nice it is.. cabriolet version .. had it 2 plus years now from new and before that had one for the last MK7 type 4/2 with the 6 speed gearbox - turbo charged. (much better than the latest model that is only 5 speed and no turbo)... another story.

But the disability issue v toads and trailers is what this is about. As said a toad is a non no in Spain and often in other parts of europe motor homes have been stopped. Just in the UK we ignore the construction and use regulations of the Road Traffic Acts.. but again another story and often covered and debated on here.

I purchased a Brian James 2600 kg A MAX just over a year ago... from someone I know on the RVOC... fine bit of kit it is to. It was fully loaded and does a sterling job... in fact it is about to head of to Northern France on Tuesday with my Hyundai Matrix on the 14' deck.. BUT
I am selling it on my return... why? when it is such a good bit of kit, why sell it and at a loss?

Simples as they say... I have limited storage and it is in the way. Plus my disability and SWMBO's hip etc., and we have decided also to sell the Winnebago and buy a toy hauler with a rear lift. That way I can load both our scooters and even my power wheelchair if I want or even a quad bike.

I had to think out side the box..... I considered a fiver, but could not work out how to carry the scooters etc., I thought of a Ram Van (Day Van) to carry the scooters and then get an Airflow trailer... But after much debate and speaking to others we have decided to go the toy hauler route ..again on an Ford V 10 6.8 ltr engine this time on the larger chassis E450.

So I can understand your concerns. If you can get away with just a car to use and do not need wheelchairs or scooters then I could understand the toad route.. already having a trailer I need not advise you on that.

But if anyone is looking for a trailer that is half the new price and just over a year old £1850 ish ..bargain.. will carry the largest of cars .

But I do wish you luck in sorting out the issue.. it is not easy... I love my Smart, but I would not tow it. Not designed to be towed... those engine and gearboxes are expensive when they go pear shaped.

Bob:thumb:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Chipping in to the trailing debate, we use an A-frame, come the day of judgement we may need a trailer, however we have no room to store one (two cars & a motorhome on the drive already)
Now, I was watching an episode on the Caravan Channel ( yes I know,sad)
about trailer tents. I never realised that some where made to tip on there side so you can roll them through your gate into the back garden. So how about that for an idea for the car trailer manufactures to look at:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the idea is not new

Chipping in to the trailing debate, we use an A-frame, come the day of judgement we may need a trailer, however we have no room to store one (two cars & a motorhome on the drive already)
Now, I was watching an episode on the Caravan Channel ( yes I know,sad)
about trailer tents. I never realised that some where made to tip on there side so you can roll them through your gate into the back garden. So how about that for an idea for the car trailer manufactures to look at:thumb:

The idea is not new... there was even mention a year or more back on MHF about a trailer that folder up behind a motor home.. very wired it was.

But the fold on the side has been used for a while.. but would not like to try and lift my 2600 kgs carrier weight Brian James trailer.. it is seriously heavy.. I can move it on two wheels using the jockey wheel.. and some of them now come with folding nose units. But the idea is really only for very light weight items..

As of being sad for watching Chris I could not possibly comment:winky:

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks for that Bob :thumb:
I think i am now decided it will be a trailer, pity you are too far away or i would be very interested.
We only have a normal wheelchair but my wife wants to try a motorised one soon to see how she would be on one. Brought my Hymer 694 home today ::bigsmile: so have loads to do, kit it out etc, should keep me busy for the week.
Hope to go up to the lakes around the 11th for a couple of days for our first trip.:Smile: Thats when we find out all the things we should have stocked up with. :Doh:
Back on Ebay soon to look for trailers and to sell my current trailer.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
have sent you a p.m.

Thanks for that Bob :thumb:
I think i am now decided it will be a trailer, pity you are too far away or i would be very interested.
We only have a normal wheelchair but my wife wants to try a motorised one soon to see how she would be on one. Brought my Hymer 694 home today ::bigsmile: so have loads to do, kit it out etc, should keep me busy for the week.
Hope to go up to the lakes around the 11th for a couple of days for our first trip.:Smile: Thats when we find out all the things we should have stocked up with. :Doh:
Back on Ebay soon to look for trailers and to sell my current trailer.

have sent you a p.m. about the trailer.

Bob:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
for what its worth with you having a tag hymer you may not be able to tow even a smart on a trailer.

do check the weight plates and basically the difference between gross vehicle weight and gross train weight is what you can tow.

you may be surprised at how low it actually is.

also the max weight plated on the trailer has to be equal or less than the weight you can tow.

for example a motorhome with a GVW 5000kg and a GTW 6000kg so you can tow 1000kg.

the trailer has to have a GVW of 1000kg or less otherwise you can be prosecuted for being over weight also the trailer and whats on it must not weigh more than the trailers GVW.

90% of smart car trailers are plated at 1100kg and will weigh very close to that with a smart 4-2 full of fuel loaded.

and you must have C1+E on your driving licence to drive it.

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Just to add my two pence worth ive got a Toyota Aygo and a twin axle Brian James Trailer for sale if any ones interested Gray.

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Hymer 694 maximum allowable weights are front axle 1,600k, centre axle 1,400k and rear axle 1,400k.

This equals 4,400k and allows for uneven loading within the maximum vehicle weight of 4,000k.

The train weight is 4,800k so you can tow (4,800 - 4,000) 800k.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Hymer 694 maximum allowable weights are front axle 1,600k, centre axle 1,400k and rear axle 1,400k.

This equals 4,400k and allows for uneven loading within the maximum vehicle weight of 4,000k.

The train weight is 4,800k so you can tow (4,800 - 4,000) 800k.

with those figures not even a smart on an a frame can be towed.
thats motorcycle territory at 800kg.

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks for that Phil, looks like i wont be towing anaything, she will have to get a motorised wheelchair surely i can manage that in my trailer, just make sure it's within limits.

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Just to add my two pence worth ive got a Toyota Aygo and a twin axle Brian James Trailer for sale if any ones interested Gray.

Aygo SOLD but trailer still available.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back