45 +years with breaks
The debate must go on
New evidence discovered today throws the debate open once again
I cite as exibit 1 the roof box post

It clearly states for all to see a roof box cost 4MPG to use
It also clearly states to tow a close to one ton generater it costs 5 MPG
with a 10mph loss in top speed

It is generally excepted that that a 7.5 Ton V10 does aprox 12-14 to the gallon

It's also excepted that a roof box aint a requirment on a RV due to huge storage lockers

It's also generally excepted that a RV dont need to tow a 1 ton Gen set it has its own

Towing a Toad with a RV usually cost 1 MPG (its a power to weight thing)

That all taken as given I now claim an equivalent theroetical 22MPG with absolutely no losses whatsoever
14 mpg RV+ 5pmg No Gen Set Towing+4mpg No Roof Box' less 1 mpg for the toad
And thats on par with any Euro Box
Geo
Prof of mathematical conundrums

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
The debate must go on
New evidence discovered today throws the debate open once again
I cite as exibit 1 the roof box post

It clearly states for all to see a roof box cost 4MPG to use
It also clearly states to tow a close to one ton generater it costs 5 MPG
with a 10mph loss in top speed

It is generally excepted that that a 7.5 Ton V10 does aprox 12-14 to the gallon

It's also excepted that a roof box aint a requirment on a RV due to huge storage lockers

It's also generally excepted that a RV dont need to tow a 1 ton Gen set it has its own

Towing a Toad with a RV usually cost 1 MPG (its a power to weight thing)

That all taken as given I now claim an equivalent theroetical 22MPG with absolutely no losses whatsoever
Geo
Prof of mathematical conundrums

Excellent post. Wonderful calculations. Can't be faulted. Spot on. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
With calcs like that you should be Chancellor of the Exchequer

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes. but using a 5er is far better. not only in fuel but mot tax insurance .you all lose hands down. luckily for a few of us we are switched on . hee hee.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
good to see we are back on topic Geo

As I get ready to head to France on Tuesday... I thought I would nose about this morning a see what posts would tickle my fancy:RollEyes:... knowing tomorrow SWMBO has a long list of last minute jobs to do... so it brighten my day to return to one of my favourite old chestnuts:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I love an us and them post.

As I own a RV and it is 5 tons all up without the car on the trailer 2600kgs max I am within that sort of 7.5 tons measurement that Geo has used. I have the V10 6.8 petrol engine and I get 14 to 15 to the gallon no problems. That figure is based on three years use with and without a trailer and covers 11,000 miles PLUS all my generator use when we have been at shows..

The only time it dropped was climbing and defending the Tarn Gorge in France when it dropped to 10 mpg... but the rest of the time it has been up there as Geo says.

Like Geo no need for a roof box and as I have a 4kgw generator on board I can certainly feel I can match a lot of the ice cream vans out there. I have been know to pass other motor homes on some steep hill in France.. there aspirated diesels just plodding along...

I am about to put my baby up for sale from the end of June and with all the vehicles I can have, I still am going for another Ford V10 yank.. but a toy hauler this time.

Power:thumb:

Comfort:thumb:

what else is there to say..

Bob:Blush:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I now claim an equivalent theroetical 22MPG with absolutely no losses whatsoever

Theory is wonderful but practice even more so! ::bigsmile:

Whatever vehicle you drive, the mpg will vary considerably depending on your driving style. So if you go for smooth steady acceleration and braking, and keep at 55-60mph on motorways you'll be doing the best that you can. Or is it just us lady drivers that think that way? :winky:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you could do better

Theory is wonderful but practice even more so! ::bigsmile:

Whatever vehicle you drive, the mpg will vary considerably depending on your driving style. So if you go for smooth steady acceleration and braking, and keep at 55-60mph on motorways you'll be doing the best that you can. Or is it just us lady drivers that think that way? :winky:

Now if 'LADY' drivers were to close the window and take there arms in (drying nails) the drag would be less and more MPG:winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
::bigsmile: I like your calculation Geo but 27 mpg is still better than 22 :thumb: Also if you read my post I do not need the RB it is SWMBO who wants it so that takes me back upto 31 MPG :thumb:ALSO DO NOT NEED A TRAILER OR GENNY SO IN YOUR THINKING THAT GIVES ANOTHER (BLOODY CAPS AGAIN) 4 plus 1 giving me 36 mpg ::bigsmile: Getting into Buttons territory now :thumb:::bigsmile: plus don't forget my calculations are for running to shops etc while out and about not just simply motorway from A to B parking up and not moving.Last calculation was 750 MW miles with 750 Small rd sight seeing miles that the RV could not get down some of the roads.::bigsmile:
We should get our heads together to run the country :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I see Buttons fame has arrived

::bigsmile: I like your calculation Geo but 27 mpg is still better than 22 :thumb: Also if you read my post I do not need the RB it is SWMBO who wants it so that takes me back upto 31 MPG :thumb:ALSO DO NOT NEED A TRAILER OR GENNY SO IN YOUR THINKING THAT GIVES ANOTHER (BLOODY CAPS AGAIN) 4 plus 1 giving me 36 mpg ::bigsmile: Getting into Buttons territory now :thumb:::bigsmile: plus don't forget my calculations are for running to shops etc while out and about not just simply motorway from A to B parking up and not moving.Last calculation was 750 MW miles with 750 Small rd sight seeing miles that the RV could not get down some of the roads.::bigsmile:
We should get our heads together to run the country :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Terry, I see that Buttons fame to have the 99 mpg VW has arrived on the post.. you could ask if Geo is trying to get the title? :Smile: I would say not... RV owners know what there vehicles do to the gallon. For most it was not a consideration when they purchased them... ice cream owners seem to always want to know how mpg they will get on this model or that model .. Us RV owners just accept we have a trade off for the goodies we enjoy.

Bob:winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Bob I think Geo is bored with the DJ :party2: so he is :reel: If it bothered me about MPG the roof box would be off no matter what SWMBO said :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Nice idea Geo......

I don't know my exact mpg just yet but it is around 30mpg. I don't tow and my genny doesn't add anything so does that mean I am at 39mpg?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
at 39 you are starting to catch Buttons up

Nice idea Geo......

I don't know my exact mpg just yet but it is around 30mpg. I don't tow and my genny doesn't add anything so does that mean I am at 39mpg?

Keep going and you will be number two on the list behind Buttons and his 99 mpg... to be honest I think the number has grown ... he only claimed 63 mpg if I recall.. but I can stand corrected.

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think Ive got em all beat inc Buttons
To move 7.5 Tons terry you'd have to make 3 trips :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So that makes me 3 x 22 =66 Mpg
Buttons would have to do 4 trips 4 x 22 =88 mpg:Eeek::Eeek:
You all want one now don't ya:thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
slobadoberbob; [url said:
http://www.motorhomes.mobi/motorhomes/tabid/95/itemid/21219/motorhome/Winnebago-aspect-23/default.aspx[/url]

Looking at the last pic, have you cured that oil leak yet? :Smile:

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
So remind us again, Geo. How many times did you fail CSE maths? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Took exam 5 times and and got 9 out of 7 question wrong 6 times
It was them damn loggy rythams I dint have a saw with me for the divisions

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I think Ive got em all beat inc Buttons
To move 7.5 Tons terry you'd have to make 3 trips :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So that makes me 3 x 22 =66 Mpg
Buttons would have to do 4 trips 4 x 22 =88 mpg:Eeek::Eeek:
You all want one now don't ya:thumb:

Only 2 Geo :thumb: 4.2 ton :winky: so still up on you ::bigsmile: if you had to move 8 ton plus :Smile:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
even better i can put over 5tons into mine .hee hee.
either in the trailer or in/on the unit. could use the full train of 9.8ton.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
My Winnebago with a 8.1L Chevy engine, does 363 mpg on a bad day. Now prove it doesn't. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
oh come on Mike

My Winnebago with a 8.1L Chevy engine, does 363 mpg on a bad day. Now prove it doesn't. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh come on mike.. you cannot take Buttons record away can you....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That makes you in the lead, Buttons second and Gromit third at the moment.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:

Bob

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Oh come on mike.. you cannot take Buttons record away can you....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That makes you in the lead, Buttons second and Gromit third at the moment.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:

Bob

What at Bob, fibbing or telling the truth. :Cool:

NEV3

Free Member
Feb 11, 2008
North East Wales
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 1996
Reading through this post and taking into consideration all the driving tips and advice (and the mathematics used), I reckon I can fill my car from the motorhome tank at the end of every journey, cos I should have more than I started with.

Nev

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
course we havent got into filter kings, lead pellets in the tank .pressure regulators, magnets .special air cleaners etc . its not a car you need but a fuel tanker to take it all away. i forgot if petrol you cut the main ign lead and have a slight air gap to increase the spark. etc etc .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Reading through this post and taking into consideration all the driving tips and advice (and the mathematics used), I reckon I can fill my car from the motorhome tank at the end of every journey, cos I should have more than I started with.

Nev

If you use Geo maths it will be no problem ::bigsmile:
terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Stop fooling yourselves, the truth is, that when driven frugally RVs return between 7-14 mpg. Euro coach between 17-28 mpg and the VW California’s when driven much less frugally will return between 35-56 mpg. Anything else is as a result of the psychological phenomenon known as the Hawthorne effect. Sorry ...............:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back