VED calculations (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I had the dealer pay my first 6 months VED as part of the deal, and it's now due to come up again. Looking at the disc, it seems he paid £118.25 for the 6 months, which is the equivalent of the £215 a year rate for light goods vehicles registered after 2001 according to dvla [http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524]

It seems if the engine was Euro IV compliant, the cost would only be £135 a year [the van was first registered May 2006]. How can I determine if it is or isn't Euro IV compliant? The V5 is silent on the subject!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Motorhomes seem to have a different rate ( ** I will come back to this ) .. My van is 2012 LEZ compliant but still attracts VED of £165 ( phg )

There are other instances of obtuse reasoning by the DVLA
My wee 340cc buggy has an EU certificate for Euro5 compliance.. In fact the emissions from the buggy are equal to those vehicles in band C, yet it comes under the heavy quadricycle all of which fall in to band F !

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
DVLA law to them selves

Motorhomes seem to have a different rate ( ** I will come back to this ) .. My van is 2012 LEZ compliant but still attracts VED of £165 ( phg )

There are other instances of obtuse reasoning by the DVLA
My wee 340cc buggy has an EU certificate for Euro5 compliance.. In fact the emissions from the buggy are equal to those vehicles in band C, yet it comes under the heavy quadricycle all of which fall in to band F !

My disabled scooter - battery powered has a registration number Q plate and has a tax disc as it is a Class III disabled vehicle (VED is free).. but still has a V5 registration document...

The RV is £165 a year and is a Heavy Private Goods Vehicle .... work that one out...

Bob:winky:

UKMotorhomes

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
4x4 camper truck
Exp
More than 30!
I had the dealer pay my first 6 months VED as part of the deal, and it's now due to come up again. Looking at the disc, it seems he paid £118.25 for the 6 months, which is the equivalent of the £215 a year rate for light goods vehicles registered after 2001 according to dvla [http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524]

It seems if the engine was Euro IV compliant, the cost would only be £135 a year [the van was first registered May 2006]. How can I determine if it is or isn't Euro IV compliant? The V5 is silent on the subject!
Most motorhomes up to 3500kg MAM will be in the PLG VED class, or if over 3500kg they will be PHGV. Generally speaking if the original base vehicle was registered before being converted the original VED rate will continue to apply after conversion. If the first registration of the vehicle was after its conversion then either the PLG or PHGV rate will apply.

So for a Euro4 LGV VED category to be applicable the original base vehicle should have been registered as such before conversion.

What is recorded on your V5C for 'Body type' and 'Taxation class'?

Andy

loftypeak

Free Member
May 26, 2012
Peak District
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1984
I had to pay £215 for my 2011 Ducato 120 Euro IV.

B******S, let Vodafone make up the shortfall, not us!

Must go, my carer is at the door..........

Iain

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I think it is based on certain dates.

If you go to the Transport for London site and check the LEZ details i am sure they give the details of when vehicles became Euro III, IV & V compliant.

I am sure someone will come along with a link as I cannot find it at present.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I see...the body type is listed as motorcaravan and the taxation class as private/light goods. So presumably it was registered after conversion and thus the question of its being Euro4 or not becomes irrelevant. Thanks very much for the clarification - seems a bit illogical though, as if it does have a Euro4 engine [A Good Thing, I'm assuming] seems no reason why we motorhomers shouldn't benefit from a lower tax regime as well as White Van Man?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back