Use of Orminster Awning in weather. (1 Viewer)

MJ65

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 17, 2012
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Well going away next week, having had the motorhome for a month and not had a chance to do anything other than unwind the Ormnister (5m I think) awning, which worked fine and is fitted to our Swift Sundance 630g (06).

I have some substantial straps specidically for "strapping" down in weather, but what sort of wind should I consider winding back? We will not be fitting sides.

It's likely to rain some, if so (and not torential thunderstorm or downpour) can the awning be left open and strapped down.

Would appreciate any advice. Also is there any maintenance you recommend of these - lubrication etc.

Thanks

MJ

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Well going away next week, having had the motorhome for a month and not had a chance to do anything other than unwind the Ormnister (5m I think) awning, which worked fine and is fitted to our Swift Sundance 630g (06).

I have some substantial straps specidically for "strapping" down in weather, but what sort of wind should I consider winding back? We will not be fitting sides.

It's likely to rain some, if so (and not torential thunderstorm or downpour) can the awning be left open and strapped down.

Would appreciate any advice. Also is there any maintenance you recommend of these - lubrication etc.

Thanks

MJ

One thing to be aware of is to have on end of the awning slightly lower than the other end so rainwater will run off rather than create a pool in the middle.:thumb:

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Go with your gut feeling...

If it starts to flap about or stops you from sleeping cos your worried about it.. Or the noise..

Wind it in...... and keep an eye out for what others with similar awnings to yours are doing.. :thumb:

Try and park alongside a big fat Yank RV... that way you will get a bit of shelter.. :winky:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Tie Down Kit

We always use a tie down kit on our awning. Sounds like you have one, wide strap that pegs out. Personally, we always wind ours in after use, we have seen so many damaged and watched a brand new van have one demolish a new sat tv ariel and rip a big hole in the van. with a gust. I think some people leave it up but keep one leg slightly down in case it rains, then the rain won't puddle in the awning and runs off, I think that looks so untidy but see the logic in it. Personally, I think it's a sun awning and that's what it should be used for.

We have had three now and wouldn't be without one, just make sure it's clean when you put it away. I'm sure someone else will be along with a more technical answer than mine .

Hope the sun shines for you.:Cool:

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Good advice on setting it at an angle as I once had far more than a puddle in the middle after a night time rainstorm - more like a huge balloon which weighed heavy :Eeek:

The side / roof mounted "awnings" are described as no more than sun shades so I always used to put mine away as soon as the wind became more than a breeze. The potential for significant and very expensive damage is always there which others unfortunately have had to face.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Damage is an issue and very difficult to estimate when it will take place but more annoying is night time, just a light breeze and they make a hell of a noise so you lie away all night wondering if the whole van is going to be blown over.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we use several tie down systems

Even with an A & E American system on our RV which has much large arms attached to the side of the RV I still use two different ways of strapping down... one across the top left to right coming down each side of the awning and I use two ratchet downs attached to the arms.. Very very large found stakes.

Have left it out in some serious wind at Shepton and Lincoln last year... But Peterborough this year was a tad to much and had to take it in on the Sunday morning.

Just a case of being aware of the wind speed, the angle of the awning and wind direction.

Expensive if it rips up and over the motor home .. could end up with some serious damage.

We did see one RV lose an A&E at Belviour castle last year .. boy did that go.... a lot of us did not even bother to put the awnings out then.

Bob

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i think that when these things do actually go in the wind the potential for damage is immense at best it just flops down the side of the van and flaps a bit.
next up the scale is if it goes up on to the roof breaking sat systems roof lights air-con units etc.

and i suppose the worst case would be to rip big holes in the side of the van where it was bolted through then continue to blow off down the site damaging other vans.

best to wind it in when you either leave or before you go to bed.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
on the RV's we have flappers

Damage is an issue and very difficult to estimate when it will take place but more annoying is night time, just a light breeze and they make a hell of a noise so you lie away all night wondering if the whole van is going to be blown over.

Made for the American RV's we have flappers... in our case we have three each side.. these attach to the bar that holds our winding bars out and they attach via mini clamps to the fabric and stoops the noise in the wind... just pulls the canvas taunt ... due to the design of the American Awnings it is rare to have water pool and you can get little plastic gutter holders and use the front edge to act as a gutter and take the water away. But we do leave one side up fraction higher to send it to the cab end of the awning.

Next time at a show look at the A & E type awnings on RV's and see the difference in the way they are constructed. Lot more substantial than those you see on european motor homes.

Bob

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Next time at a show look at the A & E type awnings on RV's and see the difference in the way they are constructed. Lot more substantial than those you see on european motor homes.

Bob

Yes they are more robust but they have a fatal weakness... they can deploy when cruising and have disastrous consequences.. that's what happened to mine on the M6....there is a post about it somewhere... to prevent this you should fit awning securing straps around the roller.. Duncan sells them..

a photo of mine
Link Removed

a picture of a Yank awning blown off while driving ..

awning06g.jpg

http://awninglock.com/index.shtml

What Happens to RV Awnings?

While driving down the highway, the awning fabric billows upward. This is most likely to happen while at cruise speed on a day with strong gusts of wind. When the awning billows, it simply becomes a huge sail with lots of power. That power usually rips the fabric and often bends or breaks much of the hardware which attaches the awning to the coach. Often, awning fittings are literally ripped from the coach, damaging the coach as well as awning fittings, rafters, and the roller.

According to The Greatest Myth in RVing, this disastrous event is triggered by the support arms falling open. Not True! This can happen even if the arms are secured so they can not "fall open." It is triggered by air action which pulls the canopy fabric upward. This can put tremendous force on the roller, force which the manufacturer's built-in brake can not hold. The awning roller rotates and lets more of the awning fabric unroll. This creates an even larger "sail." This puts ever greater forces upon the RV awning components and something has to give! Usually the awning fabric tears and the awning parts are ripped from the coach. Once the destructive process begins, it will all be over in a few seconds. Except dealing with the aftermath, that is.

If one is very fortunate, only modest additional damage is done to the coach itself or to other vehicles. Even then, the expense to return to normal is several hundred dollars, a frustrating delay, and a mess to clean up. And remember, that's if you're lucky!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back