Changing gas bottles to French ones (1 Viewer)

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Hi

We bought our MH in the UK and, as we live in France, are now in the process of registering it here.

My question today is about changing the gas bottles to French ones. Can someone please tell us which would be the best gas bottles to buy here in France, preferably ones which will also be easy to buy replacements in other continental countries.

Any other info/tips you have on this would be much appreciated!

Anna

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Get them from a supermarket chain, then refills are readily availiable.
I found Intetmarche to be the cheapest.

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi

We bought our MH in the UK and, as we live in France, are now in the process of registering it here.

My question today is about changing the gas bottles to French ones. Can someone please tell us which would be the best gas bottles to buy here in France, preferably ones which will also be easy to buy replacements in other continental countries.

Anna

Anna, we live in France ..all your super markets sell exchange bottles....as do many other stores like garden centers.....we use to use ACTIGAZ verre ....This bottle is bright lime green and is Propane, and they sell them all over France from mid upwards and you can see them from the road before you enter the supermarket or shop they also sell a ACTIGAZ Jaune this bottle is bright yellow and is butane..they cost at the moment (as they go up and down in price) 24.95 euros for a 11kg bottle....Super "U" they sell a exchange bottle 13kg at around 24 to 26 euros....same with all supermarkets
If you have a English butane pigtail, meaning interior female nut connection they will fit the French bottles as they have exterior male thread....
Or you can do what we have done had Dave Newel in Telford fit us two Alugas refillable bottles with a exterior fill connector...I would go for these type of bottles because they are lighter than the Gaslow bottles which are just has good but twice as heavy...If you wanted you could just have one refillable and one exchange type bottle it is up to you I hope that helps you a little.

Refillable means all countries...in europe, and all you then need are the 4 adaptors that come with the completed job from Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Anna Mel gives sound advice from experience. To get gas in any country you need refillable bottles so that with the appropriate adapter you can fill at any lpg/gpl pump throughout europe.
Do it right, do it once good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anna

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Thanks for the replies.

The thing is that we won't now be going back to the UK in the foreseeable future...if ever, as we're French residents.

We do have knowledge of French gas bottles from our local supermarket for our house here but have no knowledge of which gas (it states Propane on the door) we should use in the MH and which actual French make would be best to buy.

We have to do it right with new French gas tube too as our MH will have to pass French regs before we can continue on the journey to obtaining French registration. So don't want to take the word of a French petrol pump attendant!

Hoping someone who perhaps has a French registered MH can also reply?

Anna

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hope its a lhd drive m.home you have .many ex uk folk have given up trying to register rhd m,homes in france. specialy if the side door exits to the left.

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
hope its a lhd drive m.home you have .many ex uk folk have given up trying to register rhd m,homes in france. specialy if the side door exits to the left.

That is very true Alan:Doh:

Me

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thanks for the replies.

The thing is that we won't now be going back to the UK in the foreseeable future...if ever, as we're French residents.

We do have knowledge of French gas bottles from our local supermarket for our house here but have no knowledge of which gas ...it is the same bottles you use as your home IF your motorhome will take that size 13kg if not use the ones I suggested 11kg or a similar size of a different make(it states Propane on the door) we should use in the MH and which actual French make would be best to buy.

We have to do it right with new French gas tube too as our MH will have to pass French regs before we can continue on the journey to obtaining French registration. So don't want to take the word of a French petrol pump attendant!

Hoping someone who perhaps has a French registered MH can also reply?

Mel

Anna

You can use both ,...BUT Propane has a Lower freezing point...better in winter

Mel

We have a French motorhome registed in France.....and we would use Propane, only because we use it in cold weather.... winter

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
got friends not far from here ,moved to france 12 yrs ago .ended up sending the van back here to be sold . now just moved back to uk . have a french reg van. but go away each winter . do they reg here or leave it reg at their daughters home in france?
hard one . tax ,insurance mot etc .seems better to just holiday here in summer .then go to their daughters or their home in winter .nod nod .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anna

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Hi
It's RHD and we do know the hassle it's going to be! It's not actually difficult unless it's been modified, which ours hasn't, it's just a lot of hassle with forms to fill in and checks to be done and, of course payment for the checks, etc! The bit about the side door exiting to the left is a fallacy! That makes no difference and isn't even mentioned on the paperwork. If there is a European Certificate of Conformity, it's dead easy and not expensive. But, we've gone and bought a 1998 MH, which, although we got a COC ok for the chassis cab from Fiat, it's impossible to get one from Swift as it's over 10yrs old! Hence the need for the French bureaucratic paper trail! However, it'll be worth it as much cheaper than buying a French one and there's no smelly cheesy fridge with this one lol!

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes i would say i would struggle through and make them do it. just quite a few i know have given in. have sold a few for them over here . spain seems to be the worst. .here its no probs at all. i used yto buy abroad and re-reg here as part of my garage work.
i think some just tire to easily . i like giving authority hassle .think i thrive on it . as it is uk is a great place why go abroad . getting abit expensive over there. hee hee .
best pm me your address then its another place to stop if travelling through. ha ha .
i like the dourdogne specialy arond gordone etc .

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Anna, we live in France ..all your super markets sell exchange bottles....as do many other stores like garden centers.....we use to use ACTIGAZ verre ....This bottle is bright lime green and is Propane, and they sell them all over France from mid upwards and you can see them from the road before you enter the supermarket or shop they also sell a ACTIGAZ Jaune this bottle is bright yellow and is butane..they cost at the moment (as they go up and down in price) 24.95 euros for a 11kg bottle....Super "U" they sell a exchange bottle 13kg at around 24 to 26 euros....same with all supermarkets
If you have a English butane pigtail, meaning interior female nut connection they will fit the French bottles as they have exterior male thread....
Or you can do what we have done had Dave Newel in Telford fit us two Alugas refillable bottles with a exterior fill connector...I would go for these type of bottles because they are lighter than the Gaslow bottles which are just has good but twice as heavy...If you wanted you could just have one refillable and one exchange type bottle it is up to you I hope that helps you a little.

Refillable means all countries...in europe, and all you then need are the 4 adaptors that come with the completed job from Dave

I have placed a photo of the gas we did use before refillable."Actigaz"..the prices are from an old leaflet, when ACTIGAZ first came onto the market about 6 years ago

Attachments

• img029.jpg
    img029.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anna

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
got friends not far from here ,moved to france 12 yrs ago .ended up sending the van back here to be sold . now just moved back to uk . have a french reg van. but go away each winter . do they reg here or leave it reg at their daughters home in france?
hard one . tax ,insurance mot etc .seems better to just holiday here in summer .then go to their daughters or their home in winter .nod nod .
Hmm, bit dodgy leaving it in French reg if they're UK residents, for insurance purposes! Certainly, no road tax to pay in France and Controle Technique (MOT) cost about 65€ and lasts for 2yrs!

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hmm, bit dodgy leaving it in French reg if they're UK residents, for insurance purposes! Certainly, no road tax to pay in France and Controle Technique (MOT) cost about 65€ and lasts for 2yrs!

That is correct about the two year MOT and no road tax .....UNLESS you are over 3500kg then it becomes heavy goods 100 euros EVERY YEAR FROM THE FIRST YEAR OF REGISTRATION
like mine:Doh::cry:

Mel

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anna

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
I have placed a photo of the gas we did use before refillable."Actigaz"..the prices are from an old leaflet, when ACTIGAZ first came onto the market about 6 years ago

That sounds good but do you know if they sell same in Spain, Portugal, Italy, etc?

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
That sounds good but do you know if they sell same in Spain, Portugal, Italy, etc?

No Anna ACTIGAZ is just France..........YOU want refillable like we have:thumb: covers all and also back in the UK.

Mel

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, they actually spend more time out of uk than in . have a static as a kind of base here . sold their house in france . like all things in life what do you do. the insurance from france covers far more countries than uk insurance etc .
but the gas thing is difficult .i have a total bottle exchange in france or morocco. there is also buta gas that also does france and morocco.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anna

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
No Anna ACTIGAZ is just France..........YOU want refillable like we have:thumb: covers all and also back in the UK.

Mel

As we won't be back in the UK, can't get that and don't think that would pass the checks we've to get done for registering our MH here. I would like to know how the French overcome that problem. Perhaps someone with a French registered van will reply to that?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anna

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
That is correct about the two year MOT and no road tax .....UNLESS you are over 3500kg then it becomes heavy goods 100 euros EVERY YEAR FROM THE FIRST YEAR OF REGISTRATION
like mine:Doh::cry:

Mel

Gosh, that's a bit steep! Do you need a special class of driving licence for that? Also, does it cost more on the autoroutes too?

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
As we won't be back in the UK, can't get that and don't think that would pass the checks we've to get done for registering our MH here. I would like to know how the French overcome that problem. [HI]Perhaps someone with a French registered van will reply to that?[/HI]

Mel has a french registered van :Doh:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anna

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Or you can do what we have done had Dave Newel in Telford fit us two Alugas refillable bottles with a exterior fill connector...I would go for these type of bottles because they are lighter than the Gaslow bottles which are just has good but twice as heavy...If you wanted you could just have one refillable and
one exchange type bottle it is up to you I hope that helps you a little.

Do you know if you can buy refillable bottles here in France then? Just want to avoid having to fork out for standard French bottles only to find out later that we could have bought refillable ones, to use in other continental countries (as I mentioned earlier, we wont be taking our MH back to the UK), bearing in mind we have to conform to French regs to get our MH into French plates.

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Do you know if you can buy refillable bottles here in France then? Just want to avoid having to fork out for standard French bottles only to find out later that we could have bought refillable ones, to use in other continental countries (as I mentioned earlier, we wont be taking our MH back to the UK), bearing in mind we have to conform to French regs to get our MH into French plates.

Anna yes.........Narbonne, Destinea, and Masters all do them....they may be a little more expensive but with the pound /euro getting better and your cost back to the UK...e.g crossing and diesel in France and the uk...you may be better getting them or one in France.

Mel

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi

Anna

This is one of the gas refillable's on sale in France Anna...NARBONNE

Mel

Attachments

• img030.jpg
    img030.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Gosh, that's a bit steep! Do you need a special class of driving licence for that? Also, does it cost more on the autoroutes too?

Anna
Yes it does cost more on auto routes...class 4 for over 3500kg ..some times it is less ??
there are many other complications being heavy goods.. 1 example.the test station said heavy goods should not be driven on a Sunday???? WHAT.

Yes your licence must cover it, like the UK...if you have passed your test before 1/1/1997 allowing you to drive up to 7.5 ton....BUT if you apply for the French licence, or you loose your UK licence due to speeding or any other offence they will require to remove points on your licence so they take your UK licence and give you a French licence automatic!!! then in France you must have passed your test before 1975 to get the 7.5 ton Mmmm a bit different... or you have to go for another test to get back the 7.5 tons again.

Mel

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anna

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
This is one of the gas refillable's on sale in France Anna...NARBONNE

Mel

Thanks for the info Mel.

:whatthe:Think we'll have to save up for that! Hopefully, when our property sells and we start fulltiming, we'll be able to afford refillables!

In the meantime, what would you suggest would be the best solution for travelling in, eg, France and Spain? Would we have to make do with a French gas bottle and then purchase a Spanish one to carry also?

It's all these sort of things that I'm trying to plan ahead for!

Just can't wait for the day we can sell up and go!

Anna

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thanks for the info Mel.

:whatthe:Think we'll have to save up for that! Hopefully, when our property sells and we start fulltiming, we'll be able to afford refillables!

In the meantime, what would you suggest would be the best solution for travelling in, eg, France and Spain? Would we have to make do with a French gas bottle and then purchase a Spanish one to carry also?

It's all these sort of things that I'm trying to plan ahead for!

Just can't wait for the day we can sell up and go!

Anna

I would say yes..Gas.. Get the regulators and bottles for the countries you are in.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would say get a french bottle and regulator .then in spain get a spanish bottle but buy in most hardeware shops an adaptor to that same french regulator . you then carry a spare reg. its far better to have a spare that you can make fit both bottles . even here in uk .i adapt the clip on uk bottles to that same french style reg.

Upvote 0

ValinFrance

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Anna
I expect you are on your travels now... We live not far from you in S Vienne!

Just got our MH in the UK and its got a Calor gas tank fitted...! Did you manage to sort out your gas bottles and register the MH ok? We are just about to embark on all that! Any tips or info appreciated...

Happy New Year!
Val

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
You can use both ,...BUT Propane has a Lower freezing point...better in winter

Mel

We have a French motorhome registed in France.....and we would use Propane, only because we use it in cold weather.... winter

Butane has an incredibly low freezing point, well below any atmospheric conditions you will find anywhere in Europe.

However the freezing point is not important at all as the gas never freezes.

What is important is the temperature at which the liquefied gas will stop gassing off (or at least become so slow as to be useless). With butane this occurs at around 6C making the gas not very usable in winter. With propane it occurs at around -40C so it is much better for all year use.

Keeping a gas cylinder insulated is also not very useful as the evaporation cools the liquid gas and this takes place inside the bottle underneath the insulation.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back