mickcope

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
We are planning to use the Bilbao ferry on the regular basis - any idea on when the 'bad weather' and seasick periods are - and is it 'that' bad
ta
Mick

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We were waiting for the delayed ferry in Portsmouth once, we watched them disembark and for the first time I did see that humans can turn green.

Depends on the ship.

Depends on the weather.

Millpond luxury cruise or "if hell is like this I'm going to confession every day and I'm Jewish".

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Could pick up a rough crossing any time of the year...:RollEyes:

But obviously the winter more like.... the ship from Plymouth has good stabalisers on and all the times we have crossed it`s never been that bad..:thumb:

You pay`s your money and takes your chance...:winky::ROFLMAO:

If they think it`s going to be that bad they will cancell or delay the crossing, with today`s forecasting they have a pretty good idea on how the crossing will be.. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think you are better off going to Santander - its a bigger better boat than the Bilbao crossing.

We came back at Easter and the Bay of Biscay was pretty wild:Smile:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
It's "The Bay Of Biscay":Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

It tends to be a meeting place for all the currents and winds in the north atlantic.

If they happen to be in harmony then the ship rolls and pitches a bit - nothing to worry about;
BUT if they are not in harmony then look out. Thirty foot waves are not uncommon and cross-swells make the ships movement a nightmare, rollercoaster.

Pot luck really, though the Spanish/French shipping forecasts may help, if you can find it. I'll have a look later and see if I can dig anything out.

But anyway - good luck. You may or may not need it. ::bigsmile::RollEyes::whatthe:

John

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
It's not always bad. the picture on my avatar was taken at sunset in the Bay, I think about May time one year.:thumb:

However, as others have said, it all depends on time of year and weather patterns at time of the crossing.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When its good its very good....when its bad... :Eeek::Eeek:

No matter how good a traveler you are, in the company of others vomiting, or coming across the results, its hard to keep your stomach contents down, its like a chain reaction. In the main loos, you soon realise how handy that 6 inch high lip on the floor is at keeping it all in!:Smile:

Have a good trip:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
In the main loos, you soon realise how handy that 6 inch high lip on the floor is at keeping it all in!:Smile:

Have a good trip:thumb:

Yes, folk think of taking pills, they often forget to take their wellies.

Be Prepared.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
more bad than good

Been through it on a 99,000 ton cruise shop and that had all the stabilisers and it was bad... as bad as the Atlantic in December to January...

These days I use the tunnel.. not an issue then.

Bob:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Went through there on 68,000 liner, as opposed to a cruise ship.
The bow was 78' above the water line and going under !:helptitanic:
Was quite a view from the crows nest bar, amazingly the Portuguese fishing boats where still out in this!

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We travel on this route every year but normally in July without any problems.
This year we sailed out on May 29th and it was terrible. I was thrown out of bed twice and had massive sickness. Coming back on May 22nd the first few hours were rough but after that it was smooth. According to the crew it has been very rough off and on for over 6 months. Take plenty of food as the ship prices are a total rip off. The duty free is very reasonable for tabacco and some spirits.
You may wonder why we had a short trip, well family terminal illness forced us to return. We were not booked to come home until July 3rd but family is more important.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
we came back yesterday smooth all the way::bigsmile:::bigsmile:, 4 good sunny months in Spain and its raining today :Sad::Sad:. I have used the Bilboa other times with no probs its just the luck of the draw, friends went out in Jan to Santander but were landed in France due to bad weather. Pete :thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
as others have said when its good it is like a mill pond, when its bad its bad, but to those of us that are not affected by the motion being near the reception/information desk it can be quite funny on occasion. We have had both types of crossing.
On the bad one we were held out at sea for an extra 24hrs, they stopped serving hot drinks and meals due to the weather (more likely due to H&S and possible insurance claims from passengers) The ship seemed to have only a few hardy passengers on board but occasionally someone would stagger to the reception desk demanding 'to be let off this boat now' or demanding a refund as they didnt pay to come on it and spend their time throwing up when they hadnt even been able to go and drink in the bar (booze cruiser). When we eventually docked I realised just how many folk had been on the ship and Spanish News teams were there filming us.
I can honestly say i felt sorry for the cabin cleaners and what they must of had to deal with after folk had got off.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have even cut out the Hook Van Holland route

Last time across from Harwich to Hook.. it was bad... would not mind, but purchased a breakfast before we sailed (clam at Parkstone Quay in Harwich)... come the next morning at Hook I could not face anything.. so two breakfasts unused... made me feel unwell for the whole day... it decided us that we would not go any more on ships, but stick to the tunnel..

OK it rocks about a bit in the RV, but it does not go up and down.... Ezzie cannot work out how come we are not moving but there is some form of motion.. she sits looking out the window trying to work it out. :RollEyes:

You think the bay is bad... do the North Atlantic to New York in the middle of winter in force 9 to 10 ... seen snow on the deck before and seas so high... 4 days of that would last you a life time... never such a welcome site as the Ambrose light.

Bob

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
It's "The Bay Of Biscay":Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

It tends to be a meeting place for all the currents and winds in the north atlantic.

If they happen to be in harmony then the ship rolls and pitches a bit - nothing to worry about;
BUT if they are not in harmony then look out. Thirty foot waves are not uncommon and cross-swells make the ships movement a nightmare, rollercoaster.

Pot luck really, though the Spanish/French shipping forecasts may help, if you can find it. I'll have a look later and see if I can dig anything out.

But anyway - good luck. You may or may not need it. ::bigsmile::RollEyes::whatthe:

John

As promised...
I managed to dig up these websites:-

http://www.myweather2.com/Marine/Sea-Areas/Bay-Of-Biscay/Biscay-Lat-4500-Lon-800.aspx

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/mari...&CEL=C&SI=mph&MENU=0&MEER=fatl&MODELLTYP=uv10

with the last one you can get a larger scale of the individual sections by clicking on the links down the left side.

Hope you find this helpful.

John

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
In December 2011 we went across the bay, we had a severe gale force 9, we could have been in a submarine as all we see going past our porthole was water, Pam and Nigel were one deck above us and they had the same view, that was from Portmouth to Santander, was 3 hours late in docking at Santander. :helptitanic:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Only on days that have a "Y" in them otherwise you will be fine good luck.

Tomorrow aint got a Y so yer alright tomorrow!

One of my various trips cross the Bay, no kidding, we spent a fortnight on one wave, one week up, one week down, and MAN! up wus up and DOWN wus DOWN ,not saying it was lumpy!:Sad:

Just a friendly no BS tip, If you start to feel queeseey! focus on the point where the Horizon meets the Sea, coliwobbles will soon go away!

Easy innet!

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
My dad was in the navy and he sailed the world. He told me the worst seas he ever encountered were in the Bay of Biscay....but at other times it was like a calm lake.

Id rather cross the channel over or under and enjoy the drive down.

barry

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
a good cure for sea sickness is strawberry jam.try it ...........it doesnt stop it coming up but it adds a nice colour to it lol:thumb::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
mickcope

mickcope

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
thanks all for your help - i think will keep trying until we have the bad experience and then reflect

ta

mick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back