Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Motorhomefun is for motorhomers married single or whatever of whatever colour, background or sexual pursuasion, why do some people think they have to be seperate is beyond me, if you want to be a loner why are you looking to meet up with people? The reasoning eludes me, at a meet I'll talk to anyone, sit with anyone, even run off with anyone if thats what you want, well maybe thats a bit strong after all my legs, like everything else are no what they once were. You are only seperate because you make yourself so. For goodness sake just get on and mix in, we don't bite unless you ask very nicely.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I concur. Having been a single Funster & a non-single Funster, I've had just as much fun at meets and rallies.

I talk to anyone - if they don't want to talk to me, that's their problem :winky::roflmto:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Roger, Hope you had a lovely holiday:Smile:

I agree with you that there are so many lovely people at the ordinary meets that are in couples that it probably is unnecessary to have a loners meet, but I think some people feel more comfortable with them because, as other lone females have said to me in the past, some people have made them feel unwelcome, or that they are a threat. This doesn't happen with Motorhomefun ... indeed it has never happened to me at all with any club ... but it must be unpleasant if it should happen to someone who may not be overly confident on their own anyway. (Ooops. told a lie, as it has happened once some time ago). Many, many of my friends from motorhoming are couples and keep in touch all the time and hopefully, once the loners do come to meets they won't feel the need to have a separate meet up. Maybe on seeing this thread they will feel a bit more confident. :thumb:

Oi. You never asked ME to run away with you:Angry: but Sue did!!!!:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I was a shy, retiring, quiet sort of chap who would go to the motor home shows on his own and camp in the general parking fields...

And then I joined MotorHomeFun... :Eeek:

Just look what happened to me!

JJ :Cool:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I was a shy, retiring, quiet sort of chap who would go to the motor home shows on his own and camp in the general parking fields...

skating on very thin (French) ice JJ:Eeek:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

SNAP !!!!!!!!!!!!
I blame ambilkate for our conversion at Shrewsbury last year... :winky:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Perceived as a threat or feeling like a gooseberry.....

All valid reasons for a solo meet (note I said solo not singles)

Some people wouldn't feel comfortable going into a working men's club in the north east. Others wouldn't feel comfortable going to a silver service diners club.

I can understand why some people don't feel comfortable going to a normal meet with lots of couples.

Nothing wrong with having a solo's meet in my view although I don't feel the need to go myself but will if it is near and I am free..:thumb:

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Am I missing the point (again)

Why belong to a (sociable) club like MHF which, as the name suggests, is primarily to have fun with one's motorhome and then decide to be a solo and set up solo meets or go to a general meet and then not join in. As a solo traveller I have never found any problem or felt excluded from any activity.

Each to their own, but I have yet to come across any solo at a MHF meet who felt that they were treated differently.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Why belong to a (sociable) club like MHF which, as the name suggests, is primarily to have fun with one's motorhome and then decide to be a solo and set up solo meets or go to a general meet and then not join in. As a solo traveller I have never found any problem or felt excluded from any activity.
[HI]
Each to their own,[/HI] but I have yet to come across any solo at a MHF meet who felt that they were treated differently.

We have been members of MHF since day one, 2007, but have only ever been to ONE meet... does that make us anti-social ? Well maybe it does.. however..

I didn't join to go to meets but to both give and get help with motorhomes and travel information.. Personally we don't enjoy meets as we much prefer doing our own thing ..

For three years we wandered in our RV, met many nice people and made some good friends, but don't enjoy crowds.. but as you say each to their own .. there is no 'right' or 'wrong' in doing exactly as you please... that's what it's all about .. so if some want to organise a solo, kid free, old gits, swingers or whatever that's entirely up to them.. it's certainly none of my concern..

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008

Each to their own, but I have yet to come across any solo at a MHF meet who felt that they were treated differently.

Thanks for your view and I am glad you have never had problems or felt excluded. However it seems that several solo members, mostly female, do not go to meets precisely because they are on their own and are nervous. As a lone female for many years I entirely understand their position. There is no intention to set up as a separate entity, more a way of introducing lone travellers to MHF. I go to meets on my own and don't have trouble either, but I was very nervous going to the first one...

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
As I travel alone, and go to meets on my own , I have never felt left out, and I enjoy the company of other funsters, and long may it continue.................Del::bigsmile:

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Thanks for your view and I am glad you have never had problems or felt excluded. However it seems that several solo members, mostly female, do not go to meets precisely because they are on their own and are nervous. As a lone female for many years I entirely understand their position. There is no intention to set up as a separate entity, more a way of introducing lone travellers to MHF. I go to meets on my own and don't have trouble either, but I was very nervous going to the first one...

Absolutely right about feeling nervous going to the first meet, I know I was, so it is not only solo women who feel that way.

I always make an effort to include new funsters, especially solo travellers, simply because I can empathise with them and the possible feeling of awkwardness at first. I have no hidden agenda, it's the way I am.

As Jim says above, we all join for different reasons, but knowing the problems associated with solo travelling, I strongly recommend meets as a way to enjoy solo motorhoming (that sounds like an oxy-moron when read back)

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
SNAP !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully this year you will join us in the arena, instead of sitting by your van. Tell Irene i got a bottle of Pimms:winky: promise not to put soda water in it:winky:

Last edited:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
quote Tonka
SNAP !!!!!!!!!!!!

They have lots to answer for they do... :ROFLMAO:

:winky::winky::winky::beer::wine::hug::drink::party2::wooo::rollonfloor::beerchug::thumb: what you to talking about, we are a very shy, quiet :party2::party2::winky::winky::winky:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Not on loners but families--

We have been to a few caravan/ motorhome meetings now and find that there never seems to be any children around :Eeek:
Last Newbury show walking around the arena, i probably spotted 5 children in 2 days !!!
We have 2 under 5 years old and we could see they felt a little out of their depth .
Where do all the young people go???
Is the use of a motorhome a select hobby for the older generation?
We all love using our motorhome and going off for trips but never see any kids.
We don`t like the usuall (haven hols sites) where it is all tarmac , burger bars and swimming pools but prefer fields with walks and a playground ----and maybe a pub nearby sometimes :thumb:
I notice there are adults only sites, i have never been to one yet, but most sites seem to be that anyway.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Are you perhaps suggesting that all these loners get together and produce hordes of kids for yours to play with?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'll see what/who can be done:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Are you perhaps suggesting that all these loners get together and produce hordes of kids for yours to play with?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'll see what/who can be done:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Babby sitters on site !! yippeee !:thumb: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

We have been to a few caravan/ motorhome meetings now and find that there never seems to be any children around :Eeek:
Last Newbury show walking around the arena, i probably spotted 5 children in 2 days !!!
We have 2 under 5 years old and we could see they felt a little out of their depth .
We don`t like the usuall (haven hols sites) where it is all tarmac , burger bars and swimming pools but prefer fields with walks and a playground ----and maybe a pub nearby sometimes :thumb:
I notice there are adults only sites, i have never been to one yet, but most sites seem to be that anyway.

When you have school age kids your holidays are dictated by the school .. go away during school holidays and you will find hundreds of families but the vast majority will have caravans as they are not only cheaper but offer more space for a growing family ..

Motorhomes are by and large used by older couples, many having 'done' the tugger/family trips and are now looking at more extensive touring .. also many families can't afford to buy and run two vehicles, especially when they only have a limited time to use a motorhome, so a caravan is a better choice.
Lets be honest, when you are bringing up a family not many can afford the luxury of a £20k +++ motorhome..

If you want to see kids, try Europe during the French or Spanish holiday season .. !

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Joner, I worked with children, many with special needs, and since having to give up then I don't half miss them. You need a babysitter at a meet that I am at .... you got one!!!:Smile: Love 'em to bits. Joy xx

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Joner, I worked with children, many with special needs, and since having to give up then I don't half miss them. You need a babysitter at a meet that I am at .... you got one!!!:Smile: Love 'em to bits. Joy xx

Good to see there are good Funsters on here, this is what this site is all about Joy nice one, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

When younger and having school age children, we mostly went out with the local c&cc District Association meets. Always loads of kids and activities going on and generally in a field near a pub. Perfect for when the kids are young as they develop a group of camping friends who they see at weekends. Also as a bonus, most DAs have a junior and youth sections, where the youngsters are taught about camping similar to the duke of edinburgh awards.
other than a few exceptions, we have always found camping youngsters are a great bunch with excellent manners:thumb:

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
I can't see the problem.............

Why not have solo meets, family meets, doggy meets, non doggy meets etc. in addition to general meets?

I do think that it is harder going to general meets on your own. At least a couple if they are newbies have each other's company. I think that quite naturally at meets you tend to gravitate to people similar to yourself, so that solos often hang out together, as do couples. The benefit of the larger meets is that you can pretty much guarantee to meet people in a similar situation to yourself.

That said I've met alot of lovely people so far (couples and solos), and have had a great deal of fun at the meets I've attended. :thumb: Funsters generally go out of their way to make someone new feel at home.

I will continue to attend general meets, BUT, I do think that a solo meet would be a good idea and would be alot less intimidating for new solo members.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Why not have solo meets, family meets, doggy meets, non doggy meets etc. in addition to general meets?

I do think that it is harder going to general meets on your own. At least a couple if they are newbies have each other's company. I think that quite naturally at meets you tend to gravitate to people similar to yourself, so that solos often hang out together, as do couples. The benefit of the larger meets is that you can pretty much guarantee to meet people in a similar situation to yourself.

That said I've met alot of lovely people so far (couples and solos), and have had a great deal of fun at the meets I've attended. :thumb: Funsters generally go out of their way to make someone new feel at home.

I will continue to attend general meets, BUT, I do think that a solo meet would be a good idea and would be alot less intimidating for new solo members.

I met you at the royal wedding meet last year and have been looking forward to seeing you and your hound again. When are you back out again?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Done the kids bit

Having owned motor homes, caravans and RV's for over 25 years we have done the kids bit and now it is the two of us. While we have done Malvern with kids .. Now married.. Own kids at places like Malvern ( under canvas ) and South of France ... They want a motor home.. But it is the ost and the time... Lo easier when you are retired or semi retired.

Singles to us are just people and have talked and they are just like anyone else..Stuart and his Ukulele .. Always the first to engage people solo or not in conversation... Same as Roger (Wildman) .. Speak toy Joy when we see her... Even been known to talk to JJ :Sad:and certainly Frankie::bigsmile:

But it is what you put in, you get out

Bob:Blush:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009

Hi, Like i said on another post, it would be very nice for you and many other solo's and singles to attend the Rutland water Rally, and you can have a solo meet area there and be together as well with all the other RVOV and MHF mebers so best od both worlds really. hope to see all solo's at Rutland Rally meet, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We have only met one of the Forum So far, events ,trips already planned, overseas visitors, all happened to put the mockers on us attending a meet, but' singles couples grumpy old gitt, dog lovers/haters? Who cares! You have all this Quirk! this Madness! Funsters:thumb:

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
from both sides!

I have attended meets as both a solo and as one half of a couple. I have never been made to feel un-welcome.

I am now a solo once more and happy to be so. I will not be stopping going to general meets as that is where a lot of the very good friends i have made over the years will be.

But if any one does want a location to arrange a solo meet, there is a field in Warwickshire that is crying out to be used.

And i would gladly join in too.

See some of you at the Rutland meet.

Cheyne

May 29, 2012
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cheyenne 635se
Exp
since 2008
divorced

im divorced and disabled this will be my first time at a motorhome meeting on july at rutland looking forward to meeting people as i have been out of touch with things for along time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back