New Forest/Hampshire and Dorset (1 Viewer)

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
By late next week we will be heading down to this/these area(s). I def want to visit Brockenhurst(?) since I understand the New Forest ponies often wander down the main street. In Dorset, I def want to visit Lulworth Cove. I know we have Winchester and other places but is there anywhere that we should visit which we might not be aware of? We are awaiting our membership of the C&CC, after leaving the CC. Also, I will try and get to the Tourist Info but there is always somewhere people love which is not mentioned and you wish you had visited. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I stayed on the C&CC site Setthorns, just outside Sway which is 3 miles from Brockenhurst--the ponies are usually on the forest opposite the campsite.
There is also a site just past the Balmer Lawn Hotel at Brockenhurst, walk down into the village. at different times of the year you get different animals in the village. One Xmas it was all donkeys. In the Autumn lots of pigs for the acorns.

I'll be at Setthorns next Wednesday for a week. Hope you have a great trip.

Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
there are some good rallys on at the moment a walking distance from Limington,there till June 5th (this is the next town down towards the coast from Brokenhurst and well worth a visit to the see the quay and boats and the Sat market.
just get off the main roads and you will find animals wandering across all the roads. I've lived in Hampshire all my life and I love the new forest, as soon as you enter into it, it is so different and relaxing.I hope you enjoy your stay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I might be on the forest the week after next.

If you are looking for a site not far from Lulworth Cove, Studland Beach, Corfe Castle ands Swanage I can recommend Burnbake, which is in a woodland setting and is close to a fantastic ridgeway walk. We'll be there from Tuesday.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Ivy, Pat (Roughingitsmoothly) has a CL at Cadnam in the New forest, nice pub within walking distance and new forest ponies were not far along the same road I expect they pass the CL, easy enough to PM him and ask.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
No visit to Hampshire is complete without a visit to www.beaulieu.co.uk/ and of course Buckler's hard

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Stonehenge, wood henge, Avebury, Salisbury Cathedral, the spire walk (outside).

The bat caves at Fovant. Blue pool, Chapmans pool. Man-O-War bay. Corfe castle.

The tea rooms at Burley, anywhere in the Forest, Longleat, not the Safari park all the surrounding area, magnificent.

Portland Bill, right out to the limits. Wilton House. Mompesson House.

There's a lot to see in Gods own country, yes I know there is a bit to see North of the Watford Gap too.........:roflmto:

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I stayed on the C&CC site Setthorns, just outside Sway which is 3 miles from Brockenhurst--the ponies are usually on the forest opposite the campsite.
There is also a site just past the Balmer Lawn Hotel at Brockenhurst, walk down into the village. at different times of the year you get different animals in the village. One Xmas it was all donkeys. In the Autumn lots of pigs for the acorns.

I'll be at Setthorns next Wednesday for a week. Hope you have a great trip.

We should be down that way from 7 June for around a week so I'll try and catch up with you down there. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Burnbake is fab & handy for Studland. Norden Farm Campsite has nice walks into Corfe Castle. Woodland Campsite now known as Corfe Castle is a C&CC site & is great but not quite as great as it once was when a Lady called Hazel owned it. If you are in this area try the Square & Compass Pub at Worth Matravers near Swanage - Fantastic Pub.

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I have to agree.

Beaulieu and Bucklers hard are well worth a visit, look out for the SOE memorial at Beaulieu, it was used as a training base for agents in the war, who then flew to France from Tarrant Hinton The Squareand Compass is interesting and sometimes has live music and there is another site near there, Tom's Field, with fantastic views. Swanage is unspoilt and if you like crab and don't mind boiling it yourself you can but it a lot cheaper from the hut past the pier. If you don't want to do it yourself try Tawny's Wine Bar, just off the town centre. Don't forget the railway either, you can walk from Corfe to Swanage in a couple of hours, then get the train back, or vice versa.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Don't miss Sammy Miller's motorcycle museum at New Milton...

JJ :Cool:

PS. The Winchester Branch of the Man City Supporters' Club meet on the first Monday of the month at the Jolly Farmer Pub...

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
There's a Forest Camping site at Ashurst, No EHU but all other facilities. Great if you want a quiet site.

3 Miles from Lyndhurst along the A35, you can walk it, cycle it or catch the bus.

Woodlands Road goes through the Forest and is a lovely walk/cycle. You can walk through the Forest, take a picnic but remember to honour the Countryside Code and respect the environment.

The Happy Cheese is just over the bridge in Ashurst village, good food.

You can catch the Train to either Southampton or Bournemouth with stops along the way.

We hope to be there towards the end of next week, hope the weather stays nice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back