jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Some of you may be aware of the planned increases 16p a gallon planned from the 1st august you can send your MP a letter from this link join the fair fuel campaign

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fuel prices have dropped by around 5p to 8p per liter so this is fuel (no pun intended) for the chancellor to continue with the planned increase in fuel tax.

if the RAC, the biggest motoring organisation in Europe, cant make a difference then no amount of petitions/pressure groups etc will convince him otherwise.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Fuel prices have dropped by around 5p to 8p per liter so this is fuel (no pun intended) for the chancellor to continue with the planned increase in fuel tax.

if the RAC, the biggest motoring organisation in Europe, cant make a difference then no amount of petitions/pressure groups etc will convince him otherwise.

Thats not quite true John....have you seen the news regarding Paties and caravan tax?....if enough people shout then the world has to listen.....it's apathy thats allowing consecutive goverments to get away with things....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I kinda agree with both your posts but what the heck nothing to lose.....

..........all done..Griff

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thats not quite true John....have you seen the news regarding Paties and caravan tax?....if enough people shout then the world has to listen.....it's apathy thats allowing consecutive goverments to get away with things....
No problem, i signed up months ago.

the pasty tax was a non-starter anyway......even the chancellors advisers said it couldnt be policed and shouldn't have been passed.

what constitutes a hot pasty for the purpose of tax, one on a rack just out of the oven being allowed to cooling down for sale or one in a hot cabinet on the counter with every intention of being sold hot.
the second option but who's going to check if it is actually hot or cold ?...the pasty police with a thermometer :roflmto:
it could just be a display cabinet.

caravan tax, i'll give you that one :Blush: but how much revenue will be raised on statics compared to petrol sales.....a very small percentage i'm sure.

if 100,000 are sold each year at £75,000 each (an example. no idea how many sales or how much they are) the 5% tax would be £375,000,000....a couple of months worth of extra petrol duty maybe ?

Oh, and the world may listen but the chancellor wont.

OP
OP
jhorsf

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If you let your MP know at least you have tried 16p a gallon is just a straw to much

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
its all a con they will probably agree with people and then say they will raise it by half of what they said and then everyone will be happy thinking they have won a victory but all the government whated to do was raise it by half of whats stated anyway

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Taxes have to be raised somehow and, as usual with this self-appointed group, no attempt is made as to any alternative, evidentially costed, method of making up the shortfall if the proposed increase were to be scrapped.
The group is typical of the "anyone should have to pay but me because I have wants to fund" attitude which is too prevalent in this country.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As for the "pasty tax" compare prices of pasties in the likes of Greggs to
those in other shops (e.g. 3 for about £1.50 in Lidl). Greggs and the like have been charging VAT inclusive prices for years, just not passing the tax on. Their protest is just another example of self-interest over public good.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
so how many run there motorhomes without paying

So how many run there motor homes and claim the vat back? a lot of double standards.

OK it seems if you can get away with not paying the vat or claiming it back on the basis it is part of a business when the person knows he is doing no more than cheating the revenue.

I know of a few, I bet you do as well. It is mugs like me that pay the full pump price which others get away with it.

As said there is always a group that wants to claim they should not have to pay.

Same the other day on TV when it was suggested that the UK reduce it's VAT rate... all you heard from businesses was they want the NI to be reduced to help them.. always self interest. Same with the truck industry (haulage) they always bleating about the cost of fuel and it should be reduced for them.... the list goes on.

one rule for one and another for the rest of us.

Same as I have to pay council tax .... so what of the full timers, do they pay?

Oh well, I am out most of to day when the S....t hits the fan... but I will check back to night to hear the excuses used.

Bob::bigsmile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
is the self appointed group as you are talking about because if it is then as for the government raising funds then let them scrap the appalling overseas budget to pay for some of the cash they so call need to raise also pull our troops from places where we have no business to be costing us massive amounts of cash and lives also we could fund god knows how many nhs hospitals if we just stopped all this leaking cash we give to the eu to fund the governments (labour and conservatives)mates in the European parliament all i would like is to stop the parasites in power raising their cash on the backs of the drivers who pay enough already my costs to my customers raises due to the amount of the price of diesel costs of which have risen from around £45 for my tank full to around £65 now and still rising

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
no bob i claim diesel for my work van but never claim for the mh all im saying is the rise has to be passed on if u need diesel for business stop killing the motorist

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
So how many run there motor homes and claim the vat back? a lot of double standards.

OK it seems if you can get away with not paying the vat or claiming it back on the basis it is part of a business when the person knows he is doing no more than cheating the revenue.

I know of a few, I bet you do as well. It is mugs like me that pay the full pump price which others get away with it.

As said there is always a group that wants to claim they should not have to pay.

Same the other day on TV when it was suggested that the UK reduce it's VAT rate... all you heard from businesses was they want the NI to be reduced to help them.. always self interest.[HI] Same with the truck industry (haulage) they always bleating about the cost of fuel and it should be reduced for them.... the list goes on.[/HI]

one rule for one and another for the rest of us.

Same as I have to pay council tax .... so what of the full timers, do they pay?

Oh well, I am out most of to day when the S....t hits the fan... but I will check back to night to hear the excuses used.

Bob::bigsmile:

Bob,
You obviously have no appreciation of the effect of costs within the haulage industry.
Costs which are the sole reason for hauliers going to the wall on a regular basis.
Any increase in fuel costs must be passed on in total to the consumer, which is resisted vigorously.
If the industry readily accepted these increases and passed them in total and immediately to the consumer, would you readily accept that any fuel increases in turn increases the cost of EVERYTHING you buy?
If you have it, a truck brought it.
No problems with massive concessions for the farming industry then? They bleat about how poor they are, worried sick where the next Volvo is coming from, whilst happily growing crops to plough in and get paid for by govt / EU.

End of rant for now.
Off to work.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Some of you may be aware of the planned increases 16p a gallon planned from the 1st august you can send your MP a letter from this link join the fair fuel campaign

Link Removed
You don’t want vat on pasties, you don’t want vat on static caravans, now you don’t want fuel tax to increase along with inflation.
Perhaps you could come up with some more realistic alternatives for the exchequer to pay off the huge deficit left by the last government.
Even with the additional 3p per litre, the fuel price will still be much lower than it was a few weeks ago.

So we drive less efficient vehicles (motorhomes), not the fault of poor of this country whom can’t even afford a car. Why do you want to penalise the poor just so you can drive a gas guzzler for your pleasure. Sorry all sounds very selfish to me.:Sad:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My answer to the stupid fuel prices is very simple. I use less fuel.
The gas guzzler car has gone and weekends away in the van are more local than before.

I probably use 50% less than 18 months ago.

For continental touring I will buy all my fuel abroad.

If I could claim VAT back on the fuel I use I would claim it.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
then Treacle you are like the rest of us

My answer to the stupid fuel prices is very simple. I use less fuel.
The gas guzzler car has gone and weekends away in the van are more local than before.

I probably use 50% less than 18 months ago.

For continental touring I will buy all my fuel abroad.

If I could claim VAT back on the fuel I use I would claim it.

Then treacle you are like the rest of us then:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob..... p.s fuel is no cheaper in France, certainly not on the Toll roads.. need to head off and in to the towns where it is a lot cheaper.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Bob, I don't mind paying more in France than the UK.

I object to paying the UK government all this tax. I pay plenty as it is.

So if I can buy petrol, fags, beer, clothes, shoes, or anything else abroad I will.

My little personal protest::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you let your MP know at least you have tried 16p a gallon is just a straw to much
Not sure if your MP will acknowledge gallons, we moved from imperial some years ago. Just 3p per litre is all they are proposing. :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Then treacle you are like the rest of us then:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob..... p.s fuel is no cheaper in France, certainly not on the Toll roads.. need to head off and in to the towns where it is a lot cheaper.

It was much cheaper EVERYWHERE in France earlier this year and AFAIK it still is. Infact digits wise pound for Euro it was about the same eg.. €1.45 £1.45

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you save me some money Jim

It was much cheaper EVERYWHERE in France earlier this year and AFAIK it still is. Infact digits wise pound for Euro it was about the same eg.. €1.45 £1.45

I was going to top of my tank at the weekend.. I only have 202 miles to do from here to where we stay in France.. got half a tank on the RV.. so may now wait until I get over there and top the tank then.

I tend to buy it off the motorway routes in any case and there is a fuel station just down the road from the site.

Bob:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Looks like you'll be much better off arriving in France empty and leaving full. :thumb: http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html

I was going to top of my tank at the weekend.. I only have 202 miles to do from here to where we stay in France.. got half a tank on the RV.. so may now wait until I get over there and top the tank then.

I tend to buy it off the motorway routes in any case and there is a fuel station just down the road from the site.

Bob:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Indeed buttons, it's only a small increase and I'm very happy to help pay for the 5p tax break the rich have been awarded .. after all, they need it more than the pensioners :thumb:
Someone has to pay for it Jim, why not those driving large gas guzzlers for pleasure purposes only. Is 3p litre going to make that much difference to any of us?

Save your protests for something more deserving like the last budget changes to pensioner’s tax allowances, I don't recall any motorhomers support for that needy cause.

As I said earlier, most pensioners can’t afford a car. The free bus pass won’t be effected whatever the tax on fuel so I totally agree lets do our best for the pensioners.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
do I hear a pensioner talking?

Someone has to pay for it Jim, why not those driving large gas guzzlers for pleasure purposes only. Is 3p litre going to make that much difference to any of us?

Save your protests for something more deserving like the last budget changes to pensioner’s tax allowances, I don't recall any motorhomers support for that needy cause.

As I said earlier, most pensioners can’t afford a car. The free bus pass won’t be effected whatever the tax on fuel so I totally agree lets do our best for the pensioners.

Buttons do I hear a pensioner talking:Blush:

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
funny you should say that

Not in this case Bob but I do have empathy for those that are struggling after 50 years of hard work with little to show for it... Bit like yourself maybe.:winky:

Funny you should say that Buttons... retired yes, but no state pension yet ... done my stint

Bob:Blush:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Funny you should say that Buttons... retired yes, but no state pension yet ... done my stint

Bob:Blush:

If you are approaching pensionable age Bob then the budget changes to your tax allowance will effect your pocket far more than the 3p litre fuel increase, so how about us starting a protest with a campaign for the reversal of these budget changes. I wont hold my breath for support from motorhomers though.:Smile:

OP
OP
jhorsf

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Not sure if your MP will acknowledge gallons, we moved from imperial some years ago. Just 3p per litre is all they are proposing. :thumb:

So you think its just 3p per litre what about everything you buy that gets the increase passed on???

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I admit I am out of date with things

I was entering up on Ibank yesterday the expenditure.. love playing bank manager.... anyway Sue gave me her shopping receipts.. she uses Sainsbury's, Tesco and Asda... plus Iceland..

She buys the best deals from each.... I think:Blush:

Anyway there was a buy two with a 46p saving yesterday on blackcurrant jam.. now I love my blackcurrant jam... I just happened to look at the cost.... normally I just put the total in and look at the bank balance.. but I was amazed that it was £1.50 a jar.. last time I looked it was 79p a jar ... I hear Sue always moaning about the shopping costs..... we do not work to a budget... just what we need or want.... but when I do look on the computer and compare the shopping costs month on month boy have they gone up.

I have notice now that Abbey have upped there agreed overdraft from £7.50 a month to £20.00 a month... so it is a case now of making sure that funds are swung in tot he account to safe guard it... was not happy with £7.50 but £20.00 no way... even thinking of closing one account.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back