lake destinations in france please! (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2011
Lytham
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Hi, im taking my children ( Aged 8 & 5) to france on the 30th of june. We are lookng for any ideas/recomendations for lakes to visit and lakeside campsites. We are crossing via the eurotunnel and would like to find somewhere within 3-4 hours drive if possible ( to prevent dad suffering from "are we there yet syndrome"). Regarding the crossing i was going to book it a few days before we set off, is this ok or will i struggle to get on & will i be ok to book one way so im not commited to a return date. We have been to france before without children and always done beach holidays so just fancy a change.*

Thanks Guys*
Dave

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Here's one. Also many others on this website.

Link Removed

There is also an "aire" here.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
will i be ok to book one way so im not commited to a return date.
Thanks Guys*
Dave

We tried doing that on one trip-it seemed good idea at time. BUT when we arrived at Calais at a time to suit ourselves we had to pay over £100 for the crossing to Dover !!!
Now we book a return crossing and pay a much smaller amount to change it if we need to-it has varied from £00 to £35 last time.

Mike.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'd agree with Lake Garda, not least because of the theme parks and water park on its shores, but it's not 3-4 hours drive from Calais. On the way there is Interlaken in Switzerland.

Also not 3-4 hours from Calais is Lake Geneva (or Lac Leman if you're French). How about a Lakes tour?

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Single ticket or return tickets book as early as possible to get the best prices and guaranteed place on Eurotunnel.

:france::france::france:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but it's not 3-4 hours drive from Calais.

This is true. They moved it and hid it in the mountains to keep the riff-raff out.

If he hadn't used the "L" word I'd not have commented. France has everything kids of that age need for a top holiday.

Ours still remember a nice paddle in the Dordogne region, here:

http://le-paradis-camping.com/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
campsite

Link Removed
can recommend this place stayed twice last year.on the way down and and again back up through France.great for kids and not too far from Calais

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We have stayed at Lac Panthier, which is near Dijon.

Right on the Lake edge, about 4 miles walk around the perimeter.

Shielded pitches, nice Cafe/Restaurant, small shop, pleasant company.

Boats etc are available at the nearby watersport area, about 5 mins walk.

Wil put up www link when I have found it.

As promised http://www.lac-de-panthier.com/en

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Last year we stayed a few nights here

http://www.yellohvillage.co.uk/camping/yelloh_en_champagne

Not a bad site with a decent cycle trail round the lake. Don't know if it would tick your boxes, but worth a look at the website.

John

We were on one of the Aires (free) at Lac du Der- Chantecoq (the one at the 'site du Chatecoq) just the other week! - that is one BIG lake. Well, we knew it was .... LOL When we arrived in the evening it was sunny, we said we'll take some photos tomorrow. Tomorrow it rained and we were confined to barracks ..... and then we moved on.

Gorgeous area, brown and white thatched cottages (the wood has stayed brown instead of the stark black and white we are used to in England) and it's just utterly idyllic if the weather's good. There is a Petit Train that goes round part of the lake and I was very disappointed not to get a ride on that, as there are dams round a lot of it and you'd get a really fab view of the whole caboodle off the top of it, there's a cycletrack upon it too or you can walk, but not much fun really if it's heaving down and blowing a hooley. Shame.

If you want to take the journey easy to there, we can recommend the aire at Stenay - that is utterly huge, on a river with a marina, electricity, showers, €8 a night. Pull into the layby by the aire - it's just across the river bridge from the town - and walk back to the Captainerie and pay, to get the code for the gate and the shower block once you are on site.

From there, it's but a ?couple of hours meander to Lac du Der.

OP
OP
Oscarbobs
Feb 9, 2011
Lytham
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Many thanks for all the ideas. Garda and Geneve look fantastic so were looking at maybe stopping off at some of the other suggested sites if any are enroute to break up the distance and make it more enjoyable for the kids. If anyone can suggest any routes or stopovers i would appreciate them. Also i will book my return journey in advance as suggested.

Thanks Again
Dave

Paulh

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
I can recomend "Camping Jablines", east of Paris, 15 mins. to Disney (shuttle bus if needed) with a gorgeous lake white sand beaches, beach bars/cafes etc. We"ve stayed 3 times and always have a great welcome and they have fully serviced pitches if you want all your connections.:Smile: Cheers and have a good one, we"re off to the Vendee on 14 July, can"t wait ..!:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back