Car/MH radios's, they are not all the same!! (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I thought all in car/MH radio were the same fitting.

The car we have just bought has a cd changer and cassette and It doesnt have a changer in the boot but it has a slot for the cassette( not the old cassettes, a cd changer casette) in the actual radio, I took the radio out of the Mh to fit it in the car but it wont fit, the plug in the back has two slots for the maze of wires .
it was a devil of a job to get the radio out of the car, had to take off the dashboard plastic cover to get at 2 screws that someone had screwed into the side of the radio but the MH radio just slid out with the help of the 2 short arms used to extricate the radio.

Have I lost everyone yet????:Confused:

Anyone got any advice on this?

I would like a CD that I can use but the one in the car wont play them without the CD changer.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no not lost

I thought all in car/MH radio were the same fitting.

The car we have just bought has a cd changer and cassette and It doesnt have a changer in the boot but it has a slot for the cassette( not the old cassettes, a cd changer casette) in the actual radio, I took the radio out of the Mh to fit it in the car but it wont fit, the plug in the back has two slots for the maze of wires .
it was a devil of a job to get the radio out of the car, had to take off the dashboard plastic cover to get at 2 screws that someone had screwed into the side of the radio but the MH radio just slid out with the help of the 2 short arms used to extricate the radio.

Have I lost everyone yet????:Confused:

Anyone got any advice on this?

I would like a CD that I can use but the one in the car wont play them without the CD changer.

No not lost... as you have found out there are tools that allow you to slide out the radio... depresses some of the metal tabs... you can get various cradles that will allow you to switch the radios from vehicle to vehicle ... the wiring is another thing as it will of course have power and a feed to enable the changer to work (CD changer) .. plus of course the ariel wire and an earth wire. It should be possible to do it.. but if you have to take it along to a radio (car type ) place and for about £15 they will switch them or fit it as you require.

Bob

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Halfords are pretty good at matching stereo to car with the relevant leads, and carry a fair stock of them. I bought a unit with a memory stick slot, now i put all my music on that, saves carrying CD,s. Get ready though, most new cars will have a unit that is not interchangeable, and links to IPODS etc and through bluetooth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Its not a new car. It doesn't have an iPod or Bluetooth I have it on my phone and I don't use that.I just want a basic radio that plays CD.s.
The one in the car has radio and a built in CD cassette to enable the CD.s to work but its all missing. Someone must have taken it out before they traded car in.can't blame them,I would do the same thing.
Just leaves me a problem to deal with. I am ok with computers and smartphones but not car radio's.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A word of warning, ensure whoever fits it that the power for the radio/cd comes from the Leisure battery and not the engine battery otherwise you will end up unable to start one day because you forgot the cd/radio was left on.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
unfortunately I cant remember the make (almost certain it was a Philips) but the standard factory fitted unit in my Hilux was a 6CD unit with a single loading slot on the front face.
the 6 CD mechanism was INSIDE the normal single DIN radio

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back