jennymaywright

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi, we're off to France next month and hope to use the netbook while we're there. We were thinking of buying a dongle in France to make it cheaper to use. Can anyone suggest which would be the best to buy and the best place to get it from?

:Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi, im no expert on this :Doh:( as i am sure will be confirmed by the next few posts ) but, i believe to get / use a French sim card in a dongle you need everything including your dogs inside leg measurement and a permanant address in France.... but thats only my belief:Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Wrong.. that is Spain

hi, im no expert on this :Doh:( as i am sure will be confirmed by the next few posts ) but, i believe to get / use a French sim card in a dongle you need everything including your dogs inside leg measurement and a permanant address in France.... but thats only my belief:Eeek:

Wrong... that is Spain

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

You are not far off Phill:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Best way is to go to CITE EUROPE to the large shopping center just off the A16 at Calais...
In there look for the SFR shop, Ask them to set you up with a pay as you go dongle and enter your first pay as you go payment (they will enter an address for you to set it in motion) take your laptop/net book with you!.......
Then as you run out go to any SFR shop for a top up......DO NOT EXPECT UK PRICES,.... DO NO EXPECT LARGE AMOUNTS OF Gbs.... for a few euros!!!!!! it is not going to happen.

Or you can do what a friend did, tried to do it himself, walked into a supermarket before he reached us......he told us it was easy just walk in purchased it...no problem.....BUT after entering the payment code to activate the sim card it would not work until he entered his address, his bank details, his EDF account number and other questions .....which he could not and would not..so that was around 25 euros + the dongle down the PAN and never got used:Doh:

Mel

Deleted User
Current costs on pay as you go SFR are 500Mb - €25, 1Gb - €35 valid for 2 months plus other smaller options and some time based options.I don't know the cost of the dongle at the moment, last year mine cost around €39 and has just been recharged in an SFR shop, it is not possible to recharge on line with a UK credit/debit card.

SuperDuty

Free Member
Jan 16, 2012
Germany
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Last yearwe boughta prepaidcard + Stick at Orange,Strasbourg.
The service in theshopwas bad. But the stick worked well.

OP
OP
J

jennymaywright

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks everyone. Looks like it'll be expensive. Think I'll leave the netbook at home!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thanks everyone. Looks like it'll be expensive. Think I'll leave the netbook at home!

Jenny, don't forget you can use Mc Donalds ..which I have used many times....and there are plenty of them all over France.....also they tell me a lot of the supermarkets are starting to come on board..but mainly the ones with a cafe..(but I have not used any of these as yet)....also look for the mediateque in some towns....:thumb:

Mel

Oldroadies

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Channel Islands
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autocruise
Exp
6 + 20 caravaning
As previous post use MacDonalds also most public libraries/tourist informations have free internet access, you need to go in and get the access code, but you normally see students sitting outside with their netbooks, phones etc. more and more campsites have wifi (some paid for some free) - especially English/Dutch run ones also there are some bars which publicise free wifi and for frequent travellers it might be worth looking at this site
http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/home/en
but generally the French haven't quite got to affordable payg mobile anything yet!

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
Kindle 3G

Hi

Interested in this. I have a Kindle 3G - how can i utilise this for emails/internet in France? Sorry to be thick, but i wasn't aware this was possible. Is this expensive?

Caroline

SuperDuty

Free Member
Jan 16, 2012
Germany
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Hi

Interested in this. I have a Kindle 3G - how can i utilise this for emails/internet in France? Sorry to be thick, but i wasn't aware this was possible. Is this expensive?
Caroline

it could go if you can make some settings on your Kindle 3G.
I had made the following settings with
my 4g-Systems_XSBoxMove and a orange sim-card:
Ethernet-Port-Konfigurationen: LAN3G
Ausfallsicherung: nothing,
Internet-Adresse zur Prüfung:
WAN-Typ 3G
APN:orange.fr
PIN-Code:OOOO
Gewählte Nummer:*99#
Username: orange
Passwort: orange
Authentifizierung: CHAP
Primärer DNS: nothing
Sekundärer DNS: nothing
Verbindungssteuerung: Auto-Reconnect (Immer an)
Maximale Stillstandszeit: 600 Sekunden
Aufrechterhalten: deaktiv
MNC-Mobile Network Code: O1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back