how many vignettes for swiss travel? (1 Viewer)

Peeboin

Free Member
May 24, 2012
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi
We'll be travelling through switerland this summer using our motorhome and towing a motorbike on trailer. I know that we need a vignette for motorway travel but do we need one for the bike also even though it will be on the trailer and not in use in Switzerland. Many thanks

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No idea Peeboin, but i would hazard a guess and say no....it isnt being used on the road.

as its on a trailer just cover the number plate so the camera's/sensors cant pick up the reg number

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You will need one for the van and another for the trailer.. And they are bloody hot on it too
With each vignette costing €33.00 that is a real expensive place to go and is why we no longer visit Switzerland..

Here is a link for you:
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
But surely the vignettes only apply to motorway travel.

So the answer must be not to travel on the motorway.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
But surely the vignettes only apply to motorway travel.

So the answer must be not to travel on the motorway.

Not any more I am afraid.. It is now on motorways and all national roads too( equivalent to our A roads )

QUOTE:

Roads subject to tolls and compulsory vignette
Vignettes are compulsory in Switzerland on all national class 1 and 2 roads. There is only the 1-year vignette valid from 1 December of the preceding year until 31 January of the following year, i.e. 14 months. Buy the vignette here for your vehicle now.
The vignette price does not include driving through the following tunnels: Grand St. Bernhard Tunnel and Munt la Schera. A special toll must be paid here.
Buy the vignette here for your vehicle now.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Our motorhome is over 3500 - anyone know how much this will cost us if we travel through switzerland?

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Not any more I am afraid.. It is now on motorways and all national roads too( equivalent to our A roads )

QUOTE:

Roads subject to tolls and compulsory vignette
Vignettes are compulsory in Switzerland on all national class 1 and 2 roads. There is only the 1-year vignette valid from 1 December of the preceding year until 31 January of the following year, i.e. 14 months. Buy the vignette here for your vehicle now.
The vignette price does not include driving through the following tunnels: Grand St. Bernhard Tunnel and Munt la Schera. A special toll must be paid here.
Buy the vignette here for your vehicle now.

Can you imagine the same thing happening here?
Every vehicle entering the UK having to buy the equivalent of a years Road Fund Licence?

Hey, I think I've just solved the countries financial problems......
No.....no.....don't thank me, just pay me my usual 5% fee.......kerching...!

Pfffftttt - crosses Switzerland off list of countries to visit.
Spain don't want us.
Greece is going t!ts up.
Italians rob you blind.

Pretty soon there'll be only Belgium left.....:ROFLMAO:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Our motorhome is over 3500 - anyone know how much this will cost us if we travel through switzerland?

For vehicles over 3500 the price goes up, but the good news is you don't have to buy the full year. Instead a 10 day or 1 month is available and this can be purchased at the border control for less money than the 27 - 35 euros for the annual ticket.

........So not all bad news for the larger m/home........
:thumb:

edit: The vignette can be bought in advance at service areas on main routes approaching the border.

If your motorhome is above the 3500kg weight limit you will need a special permit for one day (3.25 SF), 10 days (32.50), one month (58.50) or a year (650.00). Just make sure you put the dates in for the days that you are travelling if you have the 10 day/monthly/yearly permit. There's a minimum charge so don't buy a one day pass.

If you are travelling mid week be prepared to wait as you use the same counter as the truckers.

When we had the Laika (4200kg) we would buy a 10 days pass to transit Switzerland out and back. The ten days don't have to be taken consecutively, so the pass is good for a return journey too, provided it's within one year.

Excellent value, as the motorways include the 10-mile St Gothard Tunnel through the Alps into Italy!

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it will cost a lot

Over 3,500 you are a truck and that is expensive in Switzerland or Austria

Bob

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I personally think that the charge is a reasonable.

You get great scenery and also includes the Gotthard Tunnel.

However, it's the only thing in Switzerland that is reasonable!

I've realised that Swiss things that are supposed to be luxury and quality may not actually be, it's just we pay the Swiss price for it.

Watches, knives, clocks, etc.......

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Vignettes are compulsory in Switzerland on all national class 1 and 2 roads.

But what are class 1+2 ???

If it's not ALL roads then there must be a way.

Anyway, people pay the French/Italian/Spanish tolls far far more so what's the big deal ? Switzerland is well worth it.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Over 3,500 you are a truck and [HI]that is expensive[/HI] in Switzerland or Austria

Bob

Well if you are below 3500 then it costs you 40f or 34 Euros, but that lasts a year.

If you are over 3500 you can purchase 10 days worth for 32.5 Euros, .......cheaper..

and if you are only passing through catching some of the scenery, Lauterbrunnen, Brienz etc then I think that is good value.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We always bypass Switzerland no matter what.. Do not like the people a lot, do not like the greed, do not like their attitude to anyone not Swiss

Austrians are exactly opposite and the scenery is better ( Welllllll the same anyway )
On top of that the camp sites are cheaper, there are loads of great passes to explore and cross for free or at most a few Euroes..

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you fork out for a vignette, make sure you use tunnels that don't charge you a fortune on top, ie Gotthard as opposed to Mont Blanc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back