Can I run habitation aircon when travelling? (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it certainly will if the inverter is off the hab batteries.

the split charge relay will only replace a few amps to the leisure battery as it charges at the same rate as it charges the engine battery.
if the engine battery is fully charged, which it should be with engine running, the alternator output will be very low so little charge to the hab battery.

assuming the inverter only runs the aircon and nothing else then a second inverter, with a change over switch to isolate the hab inverter, connected to the engine battery would work well as long as the engine is running

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The Dometic air conditioning units can be made to work in motion with either a DC-2 or a DC-3 kit which, as I understand it, is little more than an inverter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all,

I have no cab aircon but have habitation air con which is powered by an inverter? Can i use the aircon whilst on the move? Will it run down the leisure battery?
Richard

There's one way to find out - try it.

The fact that it is wired to an inverter hints that it will work.

Does it say how many watts it consumes ?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Mine would work for about 1/2 hour before it spanked th batteries. But as addis says It can be done with a alternator to battery charger or similar.

But course someone will be along to say otherwise :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There's one way to find out - try it.

The fact that it is wired to an inverter hints that it will work.

Does it say how many watts it consumes ?

of course it works Brian....thats how it works now, but the real question is....for how long before the hab battery is flat.
obviously on hookup its not a real issue as the charger will keep the hab battery topped up, within reason, if used for short periods

that was the reason for my suggestion of a second inverter running off the engine battery

the Dometic aircon on my Kontiki was rated at 1700w start-up and around 1300w running

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mine would work for about 1/2 hour before it spanked th batteries. But as addis says It can be done with a alternator to battery charger or similar.

But course someone will be along to say otherwise :Smile:
I would agree Paul, around 1/2hr before the battery (assuming 110ah) would be 50% discharged.

to be honest, mine was never used to keep cool, only to run up and keep things working.

just the same with the twin units on the RV....never had cause to use either for cooling in the UK.

if it gets a bit too warm, which it very rare here, i carry a 12" desk fan to move air around.
moving air is cooler than stagnant air.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Assuming its a Dometic/Waeco unit ad it has the proper inverter for it with a heavy duty split charge system and the vehicle has an alternator capable of putting out at least 100 amps then it shoul be ok to run whilst driving. If its an AC air con unit that has been connected to a bog standard inverter and no heavy duty split charge system or a smaller alternator then it will murder the leisure battery(ies) (assuming the inverter is connected to it/them) in short order.

D.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am presuming when people use terms like kill and murder they mean the battery will die permanently not just use the all available juice in no time.

It is important to note that the faster or deeper you discharge a battery the fewer charge/discharge cycles you will get.

Unless as Dave and others have said.. You must have a proper system in place that will supply power directly from the alternator side otherwise you will be forking out for new leisure batteries in short order.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Or as in the case of an RV, start up the generator and turn on the AC. :ROFLMAO:

But then you probably don't understand, but if you did, I would have to kill you. :Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
as Mike says not an issue for the RV owners

Or as in the case of an RV, start up the generator and turn on the AC. :ROFLMAO:

But then you probably don't understand, but if you did, I would have to kill you. :Eeek:

Like Mike if it is very hot in the back where Ezzie is.. I just fire the chassis generator up and put the roof ducted air on and cool the back down.. the cab has it's own Ford aircon system.

I have a proper investor (pure sin wave by Sterling) 1500 watts.. but would not run my aircon off my batteries .. it would take them down to quick.. yes I use that via a EHU on site rather then run the genny. But no way would I just use the batteries.

I doubt even with my 140 amp alternator I could throw enough charge back in to the the batteries while underway...

Bob

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
at was the reason for my suggestion of a second inverter running off the engine battery

I thought it was normal for a relay to strap the two batteries together as soon as the alternator kicks in. So I did not understand that.

However someone has just said 1500 watts, 100 amps, does the average alternator output this much ?

That's 2 HP so it will increase fuel costs.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
obviously on hookup its not a real issue as the charger will keep the hab battery topped up, within reason, if used for short periods

I would argue that "within reason" and "for short periods" are not compatible. It either works properly ( as much as you want ) or it doesn't.

Most chargers are not 100A.

This is looking an abomination of an idea to me.

Is there and Inverter/Mains switch lurking somewhere ?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The DC Kit two and three link the engine and leisure batteries, connecting them through a voltage sensing relay (VSR) which is adjustable. The connecting wire used is (should) be a minimum of 25mmSq for short runs.

The VSR will allow the inverter to use power from the leisure batteries and the engine/alternator simultaneously, whilst monitoring the state of charge of the engine battery. Should the engine battery fall below a pre set level the VSR will open the circuit and force the inverter to use the leisure battery only. This avoids arriving at your destination with a flat engine battery

Even with the DC kits we advise careful use of inversion whilst travelling unless you know that when you arrive that you are going to have electric hook up so therefore not be relying on your leisure batteries.

Hope this helps

Eddie

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
i have 4 115 amp batteries and a 3kw inverter runs aircon for 2.5 hrs to 50% of batteries that was without engine running. i did run it for 4.5 hrs once batteries were pretty flat

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
i have 4 115 amp batteries and a 3kw inverter runs aircon for 2.5 hrs to 50% of batteries that was without engine running. i did run it for 4.5 hrs once batteries were pretty flat

A couple of goes at doing that and you will have reduced your battery life considerably....:Sad:

OP
OP
C
Apr 1, 2012
Sarratt, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks guys!

Apologies for the late post, I've been too busy with work to look at the MHF website. Won't happen again I promise!!!!!

Look's like I'll be opening the cab window unless I'm on EHU! I can always ask my wife to fan me with the atlas if it's too hot:winky:

Cheers

Richard

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back