Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I am thinking of buying a BBQ and wondered if you guys could point me towards a small ( just for 2) gas BBQ, it would be better (I guess) if it worked off a large gas bottle as we spend a lot of time in Spain and getting the small bottles maybe a problem when not in UK.

I could buy it in UK or Europe, just thought that with all the experience on this forum, I should ask the question.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Price, well price is not a problem but I was looking for whatever you guys consider a "Good Buy"

Last edited:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Having used quite a few over our camping and caravanning years we decided to buy a new one this year for our new MH adventures. We looked long and hard and finally decided upon a Weber Q 220. This is our first gas BBQ as I've always been a die-hard caveman of fire, sitting there cooking half a dead animal on charcoal embers.....

Anyway have to say that we are very pleased with the 220 although you mentioned only for 2 people, then the 100 or 120 would be enough.

I've modified mine so that it can fit the larger and cheaper gas cartridges rather than the weber only, smaller and more expensive versions... didn't want a heavy bottle even if it's overall more economical either way they are worth a look at.

You can get a stand and a nice cover if that's your thing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Webber are very good BBQ's but we chose the Cadac as it was close to £100.00 cheaper many use cadac because you can run it off a bottle or straight off the van gas saving carrying bottles.

All the best Rick

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
suggest you find out about a Cobb .. used them for 3 years now.. and they are fantastic.

Bob

Thanks for the info Bob, I looked at them on line and it seems you have to get special brick type fuel for them, is the fuel easy to get? And can you get the fuel in Europe do you know?

Have to say I like the idea, thanks again.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We had a Cadac for 1 year then sold it and bought a Weber - 100 or 120 - can't remember off the top of my head - sorry! We've had it 4 years now.

It's brilliant!::bigsmile:

I use it all the time in UK in the summer and Spain in the winter with a CampingGaz 907 bottle which we can exchange just about anywhere!

I use it for normal BBQ stuff but also for roasts and roast potatoes - even pizzas! I've even made my own Cornish Pasties and cooked them in it!:thumb::thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Rick
Cadac seem like a good one, can you remember the model you got?

Carri chef delux......we bought a set of smaller legs £10 which gave us the option of freestanding or tabletop.....we also bought the paella pan and we don't use any thing else.......we have BBQ for two but we have also done more than one for a lot more people........it is the most versatile one I have found......light weight and packs down for easy storage.

All the best Rick

Carreraboy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Weber Q120 for us. Top quality bit of kit and certainly made to last.

They come with Weber gas canisters making it totally portable or we plug ours straight into the gas outlet in the side of the van. You can of course connect it to the normal gas bottles with an adapter.

Kevin

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
on recommendations i got on here i am going to purchase a paella pan and one of those £10.00 gas rings that run on the aerosol size cans of gas. compact and cheap.

most people with cadacs only use the paella pan as cleaning the rest of it seems to be a pain and if i feel like cremating half a cow somewhere i'll just buy a couple of disposable ones.

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Weber 220 for us, run it off the gas outlet on the RV
Although we are looking at getting a Cadac with the paella pan seems quicker and cleaner for breakfast's

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Like Rick, we have a cadac carri-chef delux.

and like rick we only use the solid pan, in our case the skottle top or the cast iron griddle.

use it as a conventional BBQ with wire grill and they are a bugger to clean.

cooked lemon chicken, curry and pizza on mine, as well as the usually BBQ meats etc, though I started using the silicon baking sheet so the Cadac doesn't need cleaning at all...just wash the sheet and dry.

Nov 30, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt autoroller 700
Exp
on and off 20 years
We to use a cadac carri-chef delux. It's great for cooked breakfast, curries standard bbq's and so on. It's down to personel preference but we find it a great all rounder.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
We have a safari chef too, attach to a BBQ point inside the locker.

Love the many different configs it can do.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Personally, and because I make charcoal in my spare time :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, I would suggest the Outwell Cazal Portable Notebook Grill BBQ Link Removed
It folds flat so you will have plenty of room for the bag of charcoal (get proper barbecue charcoal made in the UK or locally on the continent not briquettes or cheap lumpwood charcoal they are not worth using) and one of these [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/BBQ-Master-Chimney-Charcoal-Starter/dp/B0030BN0DA"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/BBQ-Master-Chimney-Charcoal-Starter/dp/B0030BN0DA[/ame]
There's nothing like cooking over charcoal. :thumb::thumb:

Bill123

Free Member
Jul 7, 2011
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Lancashire
Exp
New to it all!
We've got a Cadac (the Safari Chef, I think) - Mr Bill loves it - although he's only really done breakfast on it. Good thing is it all packs together, and the main unit lives on top of the spare gas bottle in the gas locker out of the way.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Personally, and because I make charcoal in my spare time :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, I would suggest the Outwell Cazal Portable Notebook Grill BBQ Link Removed
It folds flat so you will have plenty of room for the bag of charcoal.
There's nothing like cooking over charcoal. :thumb::thumb:

Yes that's like ours, we mainly use the little bags of "instant light" charcoal.
The space taken up by the charcoal on the way out is then taken up by wine on the way back:winky:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Used a Cobb for years now, really nice bit of kit, but just bought a cadac so I can use it off the LPG tank on the RV. Gonna use it for the first time this weekend. Looking forward to it as so many people recommend them. :thumb:

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Just as I thought, a wonderful selection of BBQ from you guys. It seems that the Cadac has the most " followers" so I shall be looking into getting one.

Thanks 2 everybody for taking the trouble to guide me in the right direction.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
If you are considering going down the external BBQ (if you've not already got one), I did a run through of when I did ours.

I went for one inside the locker.

Broken Link Removed

54mud

Free Member
Sep 18, 2009
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
24 on and off
We got a Cadac Safari Chef earlier this year. Only used it once so far but it works great, the hot plate is best. The cheapest place I found was in Ireland (can't remember the name) but I found it on the web. Good services from them, delivered quickly.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Not had a chance to use our cadac yet as since the wife bought it it's rained, so I blame her. :winky:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We got a Cadac Safari Chef earlier this year. Only used it once so far but it works great, the hot plate is best. The cheapest place I found was in Ireland (can't remember the name) but I found it on the web. Good services from them, delivered quickly.

Probably Hamilton Gas, that's where I got mine from, good price and a free cover thrown in.

However, would I buy the Chef again, a big NO I'm afraid, I've used the old Cadac Braii Scottel (like a big wok) for years, successfully cooked all sorts on it, the only problem was it did tend to blow out in any sort of wind. I saw someone with the new Safari Chef and thought it was the Mutts Nutts with all the accessories, you know what, all I ever use now is the wok part of it, the grill plate flat side burns too easily and trying to clean it the non stick surface is coming off, the ridged side of the plate lets grease/fat spill into the plate housing and is a bugger to clean, if you use the heat deflector plate the grill plate doesn't get hot enough... so I'm left with the Wok dish, but the gas doesn't blow out!! Oh another thing, the wok tends to heat up half way up the sides so where as with a wok you normally cook in the base of the bowl then move your food up the sides, that doesn't happen...... apart from that, it's all right
:Doh::Doh:

gowboy

Free Member
May 26, 2011
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Fiat/Benimar 7000 A Top
Exp
two
Cadac BBQ - another query

...just to keep this one alive.....
considering the cadac safari chef to put onto my external outlet, which will run off Gaslow LPG system -
question: is there anything else I need other than length of hose to run the thing? I assume no regulator required as one built into Gaslow system already. Assume it's the LP version I need? I can't get near my MH until next week to check connection requirements, so looking for any advice before committing to buying. Nelson clips? connection parts? ANY advice gratefully received and this is best source of info, won't trust sales assistants compared to MHFunsters!!!

(Anyone else buying, the toolbox.co.uk option looks best value atm)
Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The best BBQ, that requires the least maintainance, lowest cost, and less hassle results is
someone elses
I'll get my coat, hee hee

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I like cooking outside.but I'm not over keen on barbeques....or the hassle of cleaning them.
I use a big "boy scout " type cast iron double burner. Its heavy but bullet proof........and its a very simple thing.

I put saucepans or/and big frying pans........or a hot plate on top.........so cleaning is easy......you never need to clean the grill just the pots and pans.

I normally sit it on top of a small table and it plugs right into the gas point on the side of the Autotrail.

barry:Smile:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If you are with a hook up or a genny--
George Foreman green griiling machine !:thumb:
No flames,no fat,easy to clean,easy to store.
We use it to cook up smelly (bacon ) and the like that we don`t want stinking the van out.
If it`s raining or windy and no awning, just slide it under the side of the van:thumb:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
image.jpg We've had a Cadac for a few years and think they are great, we use it at home all the time, but for me, to take away it's a little too cumbersome and heavy. We now use the one in the picture along with a spare Cadac solid griddle pan which we were given by Cadac because the surface came off on the original one. Also to achieve the oven effect you get with the Cadac we use the lid off an old wok.
The system works well for us, it's quick and easy to set up, we carry 3 spare cartridges, each lasts about an hour or so and one of the big advantages is the the whole set up takes up less space than the Cadac and weighs a couple of kilo less.
It might not suit everyone but it works for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back