Pet passport & vets procedures (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Does your vet check the microchip each time you have a vaccination or when the tapeworm treatment is given ? and more importantly does he actually write it down any where on the passport ?

Just want to clarify this last point as my vet is super relaxed (and Swiss...) and as such he doesn't have much knowledge on this particular subject.

What this typical process in the UK ?

Checked with DEFRA and the lady wasn't that clear, twice contradicting herself and obviously only ready the text that was in front of her...

Had a feeling that the vet actually wrote down the chip number next to the vaccination stamp but maybe it's a horse thing

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
just checked our pets passport the only reference in the passport at any time ison page 3 ... microchip number. none of the ntries by any vet has the chip number recorded. although i understand that the vet should satisfy themselves the dog is the correct one... ours has his photo in but that is optional. hope this helps.
:thumb:
when we came back through euro tunnel last time we were handed the scanner to scan the chip and they checked it against his passport. they will not physically touch the dog.:thumb:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
just checked our pets passport the only reference in the passport at any time ison page 3 ... microchip number. none of the ntries by any vet has the chip number recorded. although i understand that the vet should satisfy themselves the dog is the correct one... ours has his photo in but that is optional. hope this helps.
:thumb:
when we came back through euro tunnel last time we were handed the scanner to scan the chip and they checked it against his passport. they will not physically touch the dog.:thumb:

Thanks Phil, really appreciate that. Ours have only ever gone through once and that was 7yrs ago, they've not been on British soil since....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
As Phil D said the Microchip number is on page 3 and also the location of the chip - 'between shoulder blades' - for our dog.
The only time his chip is checked is at Eurotunnel terminal in Coquelles on the return journey.
A photo in the passport would certainly help - especially if he ran off whilst abroad.

:france::france::france:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Our vet in Ameins checks the chip

As Phil D said the Microchip number is on page 3 and also the location of the chip - 'between shoulder blades' - for our dog.
The only time his chip is checked is at Eurotunnel terminal in Coquelles on the return journey.
A photo in the passport would certainly help - especially if he ran off whilst abroad.

Our French vet .. always gives Ezzie a once over to check she is fit to return home...he always checks the chip is there with a reader... done again at the tunnel. The vet stamps the passport in 3 places (well did last year) less from now on due to the fact only tapeworm is required.. tick is an optional extra.. but not now required. He has the confirm with one of the stamps that he has inspected the pet and is fit to travel.

Our vet charged the last few years at €28 all in....

Have asked our UK vet for the tapewormer.. he said that his advise was for the French vet to provide it as they will know what meets local regulations. Now for my vet to give away money is not heard of... but his advise and I will continue to use the same vet as I have always.

I know a fair few that have now gone to see them.. all have reported satisfaction.

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have answers your p.m.

I have answered your p.m. .. Frankie.. site name YODELI will assist you making a booking if you send her a p.m. ... always very helpful to us Brits...:thumb:

Bob

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just starting the procedure for "Jaffas" passport
Can I get him to sit still and not smile for the pics:RollEyes:
I suggested as he's under age he should travel on my Passport
They said so long as you take the worm tablet and get yerself chipped that'l be fine

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
Our French vet .. always gives Ezzie a once over to check she is fit to return home...he always checks the chip is there with a reader... done again at the tunnel. The vet stamps the passport in 3 places (well did last year) less from now on due to the fact only tapeworm is required.. tick is an optional extra.. but not now required. He has the confirm with one of the stamps that he has inspected the pet and is fit to travel.

Our vet charged the last few years at €28 all in....

Have asked our UK vet for the tapewormer.. he said that his advise was for the French vet to provide it as they will know what meets local regulations. Now for my vet to give away money is not heard of... but his advise and I will continue to use the same vet as I have always.

I know a fair few that have now gone to see them.. all have reported satisfaction.

Bob
Have to agree with Bob - He helped us the first time we went with the dogs and his vet was and is still fantastic at it.:thumb:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Fortunately we can use our usual vet due to the travel direction and not required on the return journey, he's just not up to speed on dog passports, if it were for a cow he'd be an expert:roflmto:

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
Travelling with dogs

Returning from Crete with Anek via Venice last year, this vet was very helpful, spoke English and is open every day from 10:00

http://www.clinicaveterinariasanfrancesco.it/

It's important to check that the vet has completed the passport correctly and that the date and time are accurate using the 24 hour format for the time xx:xx

I usually supply medication purchased online in UK to be sure that it meets UK requirements and it's likely to be cheaper than from the [foreign] vet.

Not all [EU] countries have the same requirements. For example, UK insists on a rabies booster every 2 years whereas other countries demand a more frequent one. This would not affect your return to UK but may impact on your visit to the host country if your pet credentials are controlled.

The clerk at the port of exit will generally wish the pet owner to scan the microchip as they have experience of travel-weary pets biting them!

Travelling with pets is not cheap and I find it hard to justify the £30 charge per pet for filling out the form at the exit port when returning to UK.

Pets generally travel free on Greek ferries and can be allowed into the cabins under certain circumstances. Anek provide a designated area on some ferries from Patras and kennels for small and medium sized dogs.

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
Yes, they charged me €35 for the two dogs and the clinic is situated on an industrial estate on the mainland not far from Venice docks. The vet who attended me spoke good English and got on well with the dogs.

They were very helpful and even gave me several packs of samples as i was running short of food.

It pays to get an appointment if you are short of time. I emailed them from Greece to make mine.

Last edited:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not all [EU] countries have the same requirements. For example, UK insists on a rabies booster every 2 years whereas other countries demand a more frequent one. This would not affect your return to UK but may impact on your visit to the host country if your pet credentials are controlled.

Not quite correct.:Smile:

If your pet is a UK native then the rabies booster is according to the rabies immunisation manufacturer's instructions. My last dog's was required every 3 years.
Its only if your pet has been officially imported to a EU country or stayed more than 6 months does the European law of every 12 months come into effect.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back