satellite broadband (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Hi, can anyone give opinion on sat broadband, is it any good in Europe or is it better to stay with mobile phone broadband.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Hi, can anyone give opinion on sat broadband, is it any good in Europe or is it better to stay with mobile phone broadband.

Sorry, no experience, but when I looked, very very expensive.

Steve

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There are a number of routes with Satellite depending on budget and your willingness to mess about.

The choices are now better than ever before. At the bottom is the fixed dish method combined with a tripod.
Link Removed The hardware starts at £350, The connection although cheap do have low data transfer caps.
IPCopter are still doing the semi automatic dish for less than £1400. The packages are quite pricey though.
The latest entry from Broken Link Removedis more expensive on the hardware front but the packages are exceptionally cheap.

You could go for the tooway fixed system and use a portable satellite dish setup but this would require some messing about....

Above this is the usual suspects....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I too am very interested in sat. broadband and did some early research. Then I met Grommet and now I know the best thing for me to do is to let him ( a true expert) do the research...

Once Karl posts about the system he has bought, fitted and uses that is when I pounce... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

PS. it was never the hardware costs that worried me... it was the data costs AND the slow upload/download speeds.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I too am very interested in sat. broadband and did some early research. Then I met Grommet and now I know the best thing for me to do is to let him ( a true expert) do the research...

Once Karl posts about the system he has bought, fitted and uses that is when I pounce... :winky:

PS. it was never the hardware costs that worried me... it was the data costs AND the slow upload/download speeds.

such flattery :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The best for upload/download is the new ka-sat
It is 10mb/s with multiple transponders. It has seriously impressive bandwidth capacity compared to old tech satellites.

Tooway's mobile system won't work on Ka only Ku band which is a downer. I expect them to upgrade this eventually. When it does that will be one cracking good system..

My last one was a Datastorm. The massive 1.5Mtr dish but I was in a 256kb/s package and it wasn't that reliable..... Cost me £15,000......

It's amazing how these things have come on. I reckon within another year it will be down to 1-1.5K for full 10mb/s with 10GB a month...:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
And 4G steps into the arena, how long before good coverage is available.

We still don't have 100% coverage of 3G. The beauty of satellite is it works anywhere within the zone and you don't have to worry about top ups or roaming fees.

I run an internet company so internet access is vital to me....
3G is "good enough" in this country but as soon as you travel to France it is hit and miss. Satellite is the only solution for the foreseeable future I am unhappy to say.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
And 4G steps into the arena, how long before good coverage is available.

Ah... Brian... you are right...

I have no problems in Portugal (subject to 3g being available)

But... the problem (solved by sat internet) comes when I move out of Portugal... say to Spain for a meet... or France for... meeting loved ones... or even maybe Blighty (if they let me back in)

A sat broadband would mean one contract for all over Europe anywhere you can see the sky... for me... yes please...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back