Free Member
Jun 5, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just started (2 months)
Going shortly on our first trip. Would like to go to this place but on Google map the road looks horendous with cliff overhangs which do not look like a van will get through. Anyone with experience of this area. On my map the road is yellow and green one lane only.::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is not a problem

Going shortly on our first trip. Would like to go to this place but on Google map the road looks horendous with cliff overhangs which do not look like a van will get through. Anyone with experience of this area. On my map the road is yellow and green one lane only.::bigsmile:

It is not a problem... I have done it a couple of times in my RV with a trailer attached... Just have to take it easy... But those roads do carry a lot of traffic at times... Hairpin bends are the worse.. Just do not cook your brakes.

Views are good, when you get a chance to look.

Bob

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Some places may need to be tackled with care (use all the road) but there should be nowhere you cannot go. We did it two years ago with a high top panel van with no problems.
It is a spectacular part of the county, don't miss it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

stagman

Deleted User

Best advice I can give you is travel up the gorge with the river to your right therefore avoiding the overhanging rocks to your left . Head for Froncles great aire there in a very pretty village .:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I don't know whether english drivers do this but in France when one can't see the road ahead because of bents ... then we use the horn before each bent

Do pay a visit to the famous village of "Cordes-sur-Ciel".... You will see all sorts of hand made stuff ...made the old way!:thumb:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

If you have an idea of the places you want to go through , I could check with the Mairie (and the "gendarmerie" as well) of each place whether you can do it without any problem at all....What is the size of your motorhome? I am here to help , so "use" me!!::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
towed a double axle big van with discovery and managed it so you will be fine!!! gorgeous place to go we may be going there in august with our overcab mh , not too worried, just take it easy.Visit St Enimie its lovely, nice campsite next to the river about 1 mile away!

OP
OP
K

Kingmal

Free Member
Jun 5, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just started (2 months)
Tarne Gorge.

A big thankyou to all. I will go with confidence.

OP
OP
K

Kingmal

Free Member
Jun 5, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just started (2 months)
If you have an idea of the places you want to go through , I could check with the Mairie (and the "gendarmerie" as well) of each place whether you can do it without any problem at all....What is the size of your motorhome? I am here to help , so "use" me!!::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:
Hi, Will be starting at Florac towards Meyrueis, then Peyreleau, up to Les Vignes, Le Massegros then away towards Lauzete to see a friend. :thumb:

Malc

OP
OP
K

Kingmal

Free Member
Jun 5, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just started (2 months)
Hi, Will be starting at Florac towards Meyrueis, then Peyreleau, up to Les Vignes, Le Massegros then away towards Lauzete to see a friend. :thumb:

Malc

Sorry size 7.2 x 2.5m

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, Why not look on google earth ( put the little yellow man :Eeek:on the road you want to travel )it gives you a good insight what to expect.

S

stagman

Deleted User

Malc

Sorry it's Florac I meant , but I would travel from Millau up to Florac , I wouldn't recommend doing it the other way ,:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Absolutely superb...

I have driven past several of those places before without ever really stopping to "smell the roses" so to speak...

This area looks like a "must visit" part of Europe... :thumb:

Now, let me think, where could I find a French speaker to help out if I were tour there slowly some time in the future... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
K

Kingmal

Free Member
Jun 5, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just started (2 months)
Tarne Gorges.

Once again thanks to all who have given advice.:winky:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
.......... and thanks to Frankie for that beautiful video and for being so helpful to everyone on here. You have a beautiful country. ::bigsmile::hug:

Ivy

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
organplayer

As already mentioned, be aware of overhanging cliffs and rocks. We were advised, and took this advice, go around in the anti clockwise direction and you will lesson any problems with the rocks, which will be to your left i.e the other side of the road. Safe travels.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Just had the "office du Tourisme "of Florac.

Had a very nice young man on line .
So here are his advices, knowing very well the area:

Do the Gorges du Tarn anticlockwise not only because of rocks on your left (he never thought about that) but mainly because it is the way to do it for the light you get on the scenery.
Don't get out of the main roads .
The road from Florac to Meyrueis has been enlarged recently, so it is large and nice .
You have a brand new and modern aire in Florac (with ehu)and in Ispagnac.

This young man was so helfull that he asked for my address to send me a map with all the roads to be taken enlighted!:thumb::thumb: I will make a scan of it and put it on here!

Hope this helps!

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile::winky:

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
organplayer

OOOPPPS, and more OOOPPPS. Should have said CLOCKWISE around the Tarn Gorge, keeping the rocks to the left side of the road. No wonder when we set off for Espana, ended up in Estonia. Never the less we enjoyed the trip. Best wishes to fellow m/hme travellers and safe journeys for us all.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Just to avoid confusion about clock or anti-clock, travel from west to east or left to right if you prefer it so that the river is on your right hand side and the rocks are on your left at the other side of the road.

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Any doubt or confusion Mal just remember uncle Adams words of wisdom.................................................................. GO STRAIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
K

Kingmal

Free Member
Jun 5, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just started (2 months)
Tarne Gorges

Well, from left to right, from east to west or visa versa, clockwise to anti clockwise, Arrrrrrrrrrgh I will go from Florac to Ste Enimie, to Les Vigne, should anyone be opposed to that route then please let me know before Sunday. Frankie, many many thanks for the help. And all the others.:winky:

OP
OP
K

Kingmal

Free Member
Jun 5, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just started (2 months)
Tarne Gorges

Well, from left to right, from east to west or visa versa, clockwise to anti clockwise, Arrrrrrrrrrgh I will go from Florac to Ste Enimie, to Les Vigne, should anyone be opposed to that route then please let me know before Sunday. Frankie, many many thanks for the help. And all the others.:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back