LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Having nothing but problems with my Toshiba laptop.

I just want emails, website reading and Skype. Have no patience with slow loading of pages though. :Angry: Store photos but don't need to do a lot of documents these days.
This is on [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATPC-ULTIMATE-Capacitive-Android-tablet/dp/B007V5XL94/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=IJCUZZ9W12X0A&colid=MCOY05SEIH2K"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATPC-ULTIMATE-Capacitive-Android-tablet/dp/B007V5XL94/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=IJCUZZ9W12X0A&colid=MCOY05SEIH2K[/ame]

Or would I be better splashing out on an ipad?

Know nothing about computers so advice very welcome.
Thanks.

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I know nothing of that particular unit but I use an Android tablet and love it (using it now sat in a field in Newbury). I have the Asus TF101 transformer with the optional keyboard docking station, I recently bought a second TF101 for my wife and she loves it too. Can't really comment on IPad as I've never used one.

D.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought a Storage Options Scroll 7" tablet, Link Removed, from Maplins for Jill and it works fine.

I've had an Apple iPod for some years. Works very well as an MP3 player but the software and being in bondage to Apple is a pain. It's put me off buying Apple products in future.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
The new iPad is lighteningly fast and with the hi resolution screen looking at your photo's is an absolute dream.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
As most tablet owners have iPads then you're likely to get a Pro-iPad response.....

Having said that I have used several tablets and do find the iPad very very easy to use and logical although that is Apple logical.

The test is if your parents and kids can use it, iPad passed both tests for us :thumb:

If you want some great keyboards and cases for iPad then have a look at Zagg Folio, very nice indeed.

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
iPad brill especially if you got an iPhone as well chuck in their iCloud and everything works so smoothly, downloads pics automatically from your phone, l use mine for everything now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
ipad / macbookpro

Have both the IPAD (first version).. fantastic.. so good I bought the IPHON4 and also the 15" MacBookPro laptop (quad speed).

As I have only had the iPad for 18 months, and it works fine... I am not upgrading yet... but I suspect there will be a day and then yes I will. Had other makes in the pass.. but the IPAD first class.

Bob

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I never thought I would say this but i pad is the way to go. I never liked the thought of being tied in to apple only soft ware but i recently bought a second hand iPod for Lynn. Now we all use it, so much so that I am typing this on our second iPad. So easy to use and always on and incredable battery life.
I am still very interested though in the windows 8 tablets when they arrive.

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks everyone. I was concerned about being tied to Apple.

Will look at both again but as my grandson could use an ipad when he was 2 I reckon I should be able to. :winky:

I have no idea what an icloud is, I'm afraid and my daughter is too embarrassed to be seen with me using the mobile I have!!!

but this Toshiba has to go!!!!

Thanks again.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
iPad for what you need it for:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
The Ayes have it.......

I tried an Android tablet, with 250GB hard drive storage. I never really liked it, I persevered with it as my wife had bought it for me. Funny enough she asked for an iPad from me for Xmas.

After 20 minutes with her iPad, the Android had to go........

My 3 year old also uses the iPad. He goes online to, YouTube and watches his favourite nursery rhymes, cartoons etc... It is so easy to use..

Now we have two iPads, two iPhone 3, I also now have an iPhone 4 and have had an iPod touch for a few years. They all talk to each other via the "Cloud", so update seamlessly.

So in our house no choice....

iPad..... :thumb::thumb:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I tried an Android tablet, with 250GB hard drive storage. I never really liked it, I persevered with it as my wife had bought it for me. Funny enough she asked for an iPad from me for Xmas.

After 20 minutes with her iPad, the Android had to go........

My 3 year old also uses the iPad. He goes online to, YouTube and watches his favourite nursery rhymes, cartoons etc... It is so easy to use..

Now we have two iPads, two iPhone 3, I also now have an iPhone 4 and have had an iPod touch for a few years. They all talk to each other via the "Cloud", so update seamlessly.

So in our house no choice....

iPad..... :thumb::thumb:
250GB hard drive on a android tab??which one?:Smile:

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
Got to be ipad for us- everything in the house is apple and everything just works together so easily its unreal.

may I just add that Apple TV is great as well lol - love ours :Cool:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
agree ADAC is the answer

Got to be ipad for us- everything in the house is apple and everything just works together so easily its unreal.

may I just add that Apple TV is great as well lol - love ours :Cool:

Our iPad talks to the IPHONE and they both talk to the MacBook Pro .. the cloud works well and they all sync well together.. plus buy an iTunes record and it is down loaded to all the devices as soon as you pay.

Not got the Apple TV yet.. but I also recommend the Airport Extreme to wifi everything that little bit better.

Bob

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
250GB hard drive on a android tab??which one?:Smile:

Hi Chris, this is the one....

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCHOS-70-250-Internet-Tablet/dp/B00422XOEG"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCHOS-70-250-Internet-Tablet/dp/B00422XOEG[/ame]

It's a bit old hat now as I had it more than a year ago..... It does have HDMI out, so useful for watching movies in the van......

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So Jill mentioned that it was a while since I bought a toy. Having seen this thread should it be iPad or not? Bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 7.0. Seems the bee's knees.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Android tablets don't do Skype video. Or at least a lot don't.

Pity to have to say this because I'm an Apple hater. Yes it works well but it's more big brother than Stalin.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Is it possible to use the ipad for chatting in the chat room? I seem to remember that there was something about this some time ago.

Kath & Howie

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have an original iPad, use it all time, using it to post this. Used it today to process credit cards, browse the forums, read the Times at 5am. I've looked at the alternatives, including the Motorola and they all look and feel like cheap counterfeits of the Apple product:Cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Android tablets don't do Skype video. Or at least a lot don't.

Pity to have to say this because I'm an Apple hater. Yes it works well but it's more big brother than Stalin.

Since I went with Three for a phone I've used Skype on that rather than a PC so no video anyway. I don't feel I am losing anything really.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
if you buy an ipad and want the latest updades you have to buy another one and another hence the 1 2 3 4'but the xoom updates are free and that includes the latast operating system:thumb:
try getting in the chat room with a ipad,the motorola xoom has no problem with the chat room or skype.:thumb:
fantastic bits of kit the xoom is:thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
if you buy an ipad and want the latest updades you have to buy another one and another hence the 1 2 3 4'but the xoom updates are free and that includes the latast operating system:thumb:
try getting in the chat room with a ipad,the motorola xoom has no problem with the chat room or skype.:thumb:
fantastic bits of kit the xoom is:thumb:

Think your flogging a dead horse here Chris, the response from the vast majority of the posts on here is that the iPad is the Mutts Nuts!!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Couple of things have put me off the iPad.

No USB ports. No SD Card port, doesn't support flash, tied into apple for media and software.

The flash bit I could live with but no USB port and No SD card port and I decided against it. I am not an apple hater I have an iPod touch and an iPod shuffle and I love them both. I did have an iPhone and hated it.

At £109 for that android tablet I am tempted to be honest as that is dirt cheap for the spec. At that price I won't expect anything with the polish of an Apple iDevice but if it gets the job done that's a few beer tokens saved.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back