Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
What do you look out for when deciding which car to buy, our van will tow trailer weight 1250g and the car I am looking at has a kerb weight of 948g and a gross weight of 1340g which is just over the maximum permitted for us to tow but the kerb weight isnt.
So which weight do we make sure is right?

We have a choice of

1. HONDA JAZZ

2. TOYOTA YARS

3. VW POLO

4. NISSA MICRA NEW SHAPE

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would think that the gross weight is with fuel and 4 in the car. You're never going to tow it like that so I'd say Kerb weight.

EDIT a bit of googling would make me alter that to
Kerb weight is with a full tank of fuel and other fluids
Gross it the maximum weight fully loaded with passengers and or luggage

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there are usually 2 weights used...
1. the manufactures allowed max tow weight
2. the max sensible weight to tow witha vehicle ... this is usually 85% of the kerb weight of the vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No problem :roflmto: an easy misunderstanding
I guess the popular question is how much can I tow :thumb:

AND I assumed TRISH? but probably TEZ LOL Not intentionally sexist :-(

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
a case of engage eyes and brain before fingers on keyboard:ROFLMAO:

your reply is good advice, use kerb weight as a guide and the max train weight of the vehicle and your licence of course..:thumb:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
It me typing but Tez wants to know also :Smile:

We both have grandad licences :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
like any trailer it is the designed maximum weight (GVW) which counts....even if towing unladen.

VOSA will look at the trailer/toad vin plate to ascertain the weight.

my old Vauxhall corsa had a kerb weight of just 680kg but the laden (gross) weight was 1160kg.

my 3500kg trailer had a kerb of just 650kg but a gross of 3500kg, obviously.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
This is what I copied from the specs of the MH.

Swift Voyager 695 EL 2.3L specs

MTPLM.4005kg

maximum trailer weight 1250kg

gross train weight 6505kg

So which one do we go for?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This is what I copied from the specs of the MH.

Swift Voyager 695 EL 2.3L specs

MTPLM.4005kg

maximum trailer weight 1250kg

gross train weight 6505kg

So which one do we go for?
the van converter will have reduced the train weight to their specification and the lower limit must be used.

my Kontiki had an original (Fiat) tow limit of 2000kg, this was downrated to 1750kg by Alko/swift.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You need to ascertain trailer weight before deciding on the car weight as this will have to be deducted to give your car weight.

If using an A-Frame, you can increase the car weight, but you will have the usual a-frame related draw backs.

Ideal situation on a trailer will be a smart/smart trailer.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
which reminds me

like any trailer it is the designed maximum weight (GVW) which counts....even if towing unladen.

VOSA will look at the trailer/toad vin plate to ascertain the weight.

my old Vauxhall corsa had a kerb weight of just 680kg but the laden (gross) weight was 1160kg.

my 3500kg trailer had a kerb of just 650kg but a gross of 3500kg, obviously.

PLUG............

My 2000 kgs trailer is for sale by the way.. from the 24th June.... Brian James A MAX with all the goodies.. i.e winch, Battery box, tool box, long ramps, kick down steadies and heavy duty jockey wheel and wheel stops..full deck... nose cone lock, set of tyre strap downs, locking studs and a security bar for the wheel.. includes new spare.. tyres as new as is the trailer.... about year old.... current price with VAT new is over £3k ... mine £1850... all good. p.m. me if anyone is interested.

Bob

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
PLUG............

My 2000 kgs trailer is for sale by the way.. from the 24th June.... Brian James A MAX with all the goodies.. i.e winch, Battery box, tool box, long ramps, kick down steadies and heavy duty jockey wheel and wheel stops..full deck... nose cone lock, set of tyre strap downs, locking studs and a security bar for the wheel.. includes new spare.. tyres as new as is the trailer.... about year old.... current price with VAT new is over £3k ... mine £1850... all good. p.m. me if anyone is interested.

Bob

nice try Bob but if they can only tow 1250kg they would be automatically over weight with your 2000kg plated trailer

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Well got to advertise when I can trying to keep up with JCM

nice try Bob but if they can only tow 1250kg they would be automatically over weight with your 2000kg plated trailer

I have to advertise when I can.. got to keep up with Peter of John's Cross Morothomes... also in Kent.. see even give him a plug:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But if it does not go to one of our members then it will end up on Ebay when we get back from France at the end of ~ June... not it is only doing 130 miles in France - on a camp site which is our base for the duration.

I agree not what you might put behind the smaller European motorhome, but certainly ideal for the +3,500 kgs type of an RV...

Bob:Blush:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Its correct that VOSA will only take notice of the paltes on vehicles. In the case of a MH, he will look at the plate, then he will go to the trailer, then he will look at the car....if it all tallies up, no problem, but, if for instance, the trailer has no plate, then he can order you to a weighbridge up to five miles away to be weighed.
Should you be overweight, he will order you to lose the excess wieght, in your case the trailer and car, you will be fined and depending on the day/vosa man/condition of set up, you may also get some points.

I have always found, that if the set up LOOKS dodgy, then it probably is, a trailer with half inflated tyres because the car on the back is too heavy, a towcar only doing 35 on a dual carriageway because of a slight incline, or a "twitchy" load and nervous nlooking driver, would all give VOSA reason for suspicion and they could stop you.

A little tiny bit of googling, will find you a public weighbridge near you, a little bit more googling will find you a private one, at a quarry, transport company etc, where a "drink" will get you weighed. All the weighbridges provide a "ticket", if you get it when you are in "ready to go travelling" condition, ie loaded etc, then you will have true idea of your weight, and PROOF, should you be stopped.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Overview Vehicle Summary Performance & Economy Dimensions Interior/Exterior Safety
Height 1465 mm
Height inclusive roof rails No details available
Length 3897 mm
Wheelbase 2460 mm
Width 1650 mm
Width including mirrors 1922 mm
Fuel tank capacity 45 litres
[HI]Gross vehicle weight 1550 kg[/HI]
Luggage capacity (seats down) 1030 litres
Luggage capacity (seats up) 270 litres
Max loading weight 377 kg
Max roof load 75 kg
Max towing weight (braked) 800 kg
Max towing weight (unbraked) 500 kg
[HI]Minimum kerb weight 1173 kg[/HI]
Turning circle (kerb to kerb) 10.6 metre

so out of this list when I see cars which is the one to make sure is the right weight?

the kerb weight or the gross weight?

Just want to make sure that we will not be overweight, we intend to use a aframe not a trailer, dont intend taking it abroad. which I have researched and they are 20k in weight.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the weight you need to take into account is the gvw.plus 20kg for the aframe. it doesnt really matter if the car is empty ,its the gvw that counts on paper.
you may never get weighed but could be in trouble just by the weight plates .
you have to remember a frames etc were originally used for vehicle recovery . that allows all sorts of different rules . at twenty kg what braking system are you using?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
bettwe still Alan.. a nice trailer?

PLUG............

Bob

Alan,

Yes correct it is the wait that the trailer can carry not the actual trailer weight.. I agree about the A frames... As you know I would.

But I still have a trailer going begging from the end of June... PLUG...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: PLUG

Bob:Blush:

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
Hi
I've bought a Brian James Micro-Max with a gross weight of 1300kgs. If I'm not going to use it to this limit is it possible to down rate the trailer to say 1200kgs?

Les

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I would have thought Brian James may be able to do that

Hi
I've bought a Brian James Micro-Max with a gross weight of 1300kgs. If I'm not going to use it to this limit is it possible to down rate the trailer to say 1200kgs?

Les

It may be a case of asking Brian James if they can do a new plate for the trailer reflecting the lower weight... but they may need the trailer back to fix the plates..

Not sure about yours but mine has the weight in several places including stamped in to the chassis as well near the nose area.. plus I have serial numbers and weights on both sides.

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
back again to weights . first what is the weight of the unladen trailer .
second how heavy is what ever yoiu are going to put on it . 12ookg isnt a very heavy trailer and as most cars are over 750kg doesnt leave much room for the trailer unladen weight.
best is get a fiver or a mini aertic . no need to drag a car then.
i keep mentioning this but the 5er gang is growing slowly. hee hee.
yes i,m sure its a nice trailer bob. when are you getting your 5er?
just googled the micromax .you would be left with 900kg load .but becarefull winch straps jockey wheels etc can eat into the load capacity . how heavy is your car you want to load. when its fully laden for use

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Yu can lead a horse to water......

back again to weights . first what is the weight of the unladen trailer .
second how heavy is what ever yoiu are going to put on it . 12ookg isnt a very heavy trailer and as most cars are over 750kg doesnt leave much room for the trailer unladen weight.
best is get a fiver or a mini aertic . no need to drag a car then.
i keep mentioning this but the 5er gang is growing slowly. hee hee.
yes i,m sure its a nice trailer bob. when are you getting your 5er?

Alan by now you should know you can lead a horse to water.. but........

Now anyone want to buy a nice nearly new Brian James Trailer 2000 kgs and that will carry a car....

No Alan not sure if we are going the 5ver route, a toy hauler route or what yet... still looking.

But the trailer is the first to go.. the Winnebago will be up soon after ...

(have a look ...follow the red link below.. let it load...) but sorry Alan not going the mini Arctic route.. I want around 28' if I go bigger..

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back