HELP...young driver insurance. (1 Viewer)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No its not for me, I know I am looking younger by the year:ROFLMAO: Its for a friend who although has held a full licence for 6 years and has had no claims or accidents in that time has always been a named driver. They now want to insure a small car in there own name.
They are unfortunately not 25 until next year and are horrified at the price quoted by the online insurance search engines.
Does anyone know of an insurance broker who can give a reasonable quote without me having to sell my soul to the devil or body parts whilst am still alive.
Have had quotes ranging from the ridiculous to the obscene.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
add an adult as a second driver

My son had the same problem and he had noted that another driver was free to add.
He added me (60 years old) as a second driver and it came down about £500.
I hardly ever need to drive his car so I have no idea why this happens but it did.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My son had the same problem and he had noted that another driver was free to add.
I hardly ever need to drive his car so I have no idea why this happens but it did.
Thanks for that. Do you remember who the company was.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp

It may be something to do with either parental influence - or maybe just the fact that a 60 year old wouldn't be seen dead in something modified to look like a space ship or similar??

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
The insurance companies work on the idea that if 2 people are named drivers it halves the risk of the young driver having an accident. My son & daughter have been driving since they were 17 (now 23 & 25) and we have always got cheaper quotes by adding my husband as a named driver.

Unfortunately there's no cheap way of doing it and more & more companies won't even quote for young drivers it may be something that you will have to grit your teeth & get on with :Angry:

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The insurance companies work on the idea that if 2 people are named drivers it halves the risk of the young driver having an accident. My son & daughter have been driving since they were 17 (now 23 & 25) and we have always got cheaper quotes by adding my husband as a named driver.

Unfortunately there's no cheap way of doing it and more & more companies won't even quote for young drivers it may be something that you will have to grit your teeth & get on with :Angry:

I went on line with Aviva last week to get a quote for my son. He is just coming up to 14 but to gain an idea on costs I stated he was 18 and would be driving a Renault Megane. The quote?

£12500:Eeek:

I had better get saving...

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
NFU are also excellent with young drivers. I guess they must still assume their customers are all farmers and live in the countryside. Like my mrs they start driving very young on farms, so by 17 have experience already

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Adrian Flux have been around for a while and I got a good deal on my Capri insurance when I was 19!:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Adrian Flux no longer insure under 25. I used to be with them for many years with hotrods and American vehicles but they changed there under 25 policy some time ago. Am really struggling here now as am still getting quotes in excess of £1000, for a car worth £500. One company that shall remain nameless quoted £2600 with a 4000 mile per year limit.

Upvote 0

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
It so much depends on what he is hoping to drive and where he lives. For instance, recently, Adrian Flux haven't been competitive for us (our family, current fleet = 7) because they don't like the area much and one of us has a claim. Move us to rural Cheshire and we'd probably be fine. Move over the border into Manchester and it would probably be worse. Endsleigh's Student policy is no good because we have a claim, Endsleigh's normal policy is competitive even with the occupation "student".
Try the mark related forums for whatever car he'd getting / got e.g. ClubPolo for Polos because they have deals with insurers and have threads going on who's cheap at the current time. e.g. Link Removed
The off the wall suggestion is drive something no one would expect you to drive as a young driver. e.g. Volvo estate or a classic car. My son's quotes for a Jag X-Type aren't much worse than for a Polo. Cheapest quotes we can get for anyone are on 2CVs and air-cooled Beetles.

Upvote 0

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
....One company that shall remain nameless quoted £2600 with a 4000 mile per year limit.
You're not trying hard enough, we can get 5 figure quotes no problem. :Blush:

Seriously, the other thing to consider would be the "black box" type arrangements IF it fits in with his lifestyle and work.

Upvote 0

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
Try admiral multicar.

I was with Swift and they put our renewal up by £250 to £900 so I was shopping around.
My daughter had passed her test 2 months previously (18 yo) and was with CIS young driver and paid £2500 plus had to have a gpdx box fitted to her car.

Admiral offered multi car.
Mine dropped to what it was previously with swift to £650 and my daughters dropped to £1800.
On the annivarsary of her 1st year driving her premium will drop again to about £1500.
I tried adding the motorhome as the more cars you add the cheaper it gets for everyone, but they don't insure MH's.

Upvote 0

petensal

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2012
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since Sept 2009
We've been happy with Direct Line

3 years ago, when our daughter was 18, they insured her for a diesel Fiesta for £850. Prior to that she was a named driver / learner on our policy.

Since then her renewals have reduced to around £400 now on a mini.

Worth a try.

Upvote 0

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
young drivers

My son is 19 coming up 20. Been driving since 17th birthday, Has advanced driving and LGV license and provisional HGV. Is driving 7.5 tons as a job. No one will insure him to drive my motorhome which weighs 3.4 ton until he is over 21. He is the most qualified and most tutored driver in my household. Madness :Doh:
Kaybee

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having done hours of research am now of the opinion that no one under 25 driving anything with 4 wheels has insurance. Have had quotes as high as £6000 for a 24 year old driver who has held a full UK licence for 6 years with no claims or convictions. Absolute lunacy :Doh:.
How on earth can these so called boy racers get insurance at these prices.

Upvote 0

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Having done hours of research am now of the opinion that no one under 25 driving anything with 4 wheels has insurance. Have had quotes as high as £6000 for a 24 year old driver who has held a full UK licence for 6 years with no claims or convictions. Absolute lunacy :Doh:.
Try Martin's system to get quotes. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance
As I said before it really depends on what he is driving and where he lives. If he has his heart set on a "2.3 Thingie" then it might be tricky finding insurance because the insurers in general don't like that car. Ditto his postcode. Rumour has it that some insurers use the first part of the postcode, others use the first part and the first character of the second part. What might seem like a sensible car may not be popular with insurers as they have a large number of them with some detailed history including some claims.
How on earth can these so called boy racers get insurance at these prices.
Many do, spending most of their income on getting mobile. Using owners' clubs, putting parents on policies, living in rural backwaters, whatever. For those that don't there's this:
https://www.insurancefraudbureau.org/report/

Finally, to give you some idea of what it costs these days we are paying just under £3000 to insure a little 1.2 hatchback and IIRC about £1600-£1700 each on two other non-hot hatchbacks.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
2 daughters aged 21 and 18 in September both had their first years insurance paid by Muggins at 1,000 and 1,500 respectively. The only advice i would give is dont go with Quinn insurance. The other thing worth a try (which we got with our motorhome insurance) is find a company that will match the insurance that he has been on for the past few years so that he gets 5 years no claims.
Absolute rip off but I suppose it was the same for us in that we used to pick up old bangers for £100 and pay £200 3rd party but didnt worry about it.

Eldest has now got her insurance down to 400 nicker for a 60 reg 107 and gets 4 years no claims in september so it does come down quite quickly with a bit of shopping

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We managed to get James (at 17) insured with the post office almost 3000 for a 1.2 Clio, hoping that it goes down after a years no claims:Eeek:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back