Hello all you very clever people! (1 Viewer)

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Hiya all, what a fab site, so good in fact that I've just parted with £10 and that is something for an Aberdonian :ROFLMAO:

After much consideration my dearest husband and I have decided that a Mh would be fab,( we've hired two) so we're just starting out looking. A couple of questions to start you off;

We're looking at a used entry level MH e.g Elddis autoquest. My husband thinks that a 2006 model is 'too old' but I think that if it's got a low mileage and has been looked after it should be ok. Now, there is no need for you to be worrying about getting caught in the middle of a domestic because we don't know where you live ::bigsmile:
So, ques 1 is 2006 too old? Should we save for a bit longer for a newer model? (please say no)

We live in the West of Scotland, looking at autotrader the best deals seem to be in the south of Englandshire.
ques2- is there a company that will inspect it for us so we'll not have to travel hundreds of miles to find out that it is a bucket?

ques 2b- Why are there so many names? e.g autoquest, sunseeker blah blah, blah. and so many numbers 145, 150?
It's really hard to find the layout that you want unless you know all the names and numbers?

hmmm that's more than a couple of questions already:Eeek:
Cheers
Dawn

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
See if you can get to one of the outdoor motorhome shows (the outdoor ones tend to have a good selection of second hand models) and have a look in all of them. At the end of the day there are really no more than a hand full of different layouts but lots of different qualities and extra features. Only by sitting in a few do you start to get a feel.

Once you know if you want a ... rear lounge...dinette...fixed bed...etc. then you can work forward from there.

2006 is not considered old but go with what you feel comfortable with. Otherwise it's always going to be on your mind.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi & welcome Dawn & hubby ::bigsmile:Deffo 2006 is not too old and you should get a nice van on that yr.:thumb:
Vans all over the place :thumb: not just south of Englandshire :winky:
Numbers are different layouts -since you have hired a couple (hopefully different layouts) you should have a good idea of what you want :thumb:
LAYOUT is the most important thing :thumb: LAYOUT LAYOUT LAYOUT :Smile:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Can only give my opinion on Q1 - 2006 is not 'old' in motorhome terms. We bought our first van 3 years ago and it was a 1992 Hymer. We didn't want to jump in and spend too much money as we were not sure exactly what we wanted. We bought our 2nd van in November, a 2007 Dethfleffs, and although we love it we are still not sure it's exactly what we want. They do say that it takes 3 vans before you find the right one (or in Sue's case 4!) so I would not splash out on something expensive as your first van. get what you can afford and then use it for a couple of seasons, if you really like it then you can look for the same but newer or if not then look for a different model.
Most motorhomes hold their price quite well so not too much to lose unless you buy one that needed a lot of work doing to it.
Jacky

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jazzbow

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Hi & welcome Dawn & hubby ::bigsmile:Deffo 2006 is not too old and you should get a nice van on that yr.:thumb:
Vans all over the place :thumb: not just south of Englandshire :winky:
Numbers are different layouts -since you have hired a couple (hopefully different layouts) you should have a good idea of what you want :thumb:
LAYOUT is the most important thing :thumb: LAYOUT LAYOUT LAYOUT :Smile:
terry

END DINETTE, END DINETTE, END DINETTE ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again this is what I wrote a bit back when someone asked the same type Q
Hi go for comfort in your van. It is not a lot of use having a drop down bed if you cannot climb into it or perhaps get out in the middle of the night if you had too much wine LAYOUT / comfort is the single most thing you should be looking at We have tied all sorts of layouts from 2 / 4 berth to 6 to 4 again then 6 again and now in a 2 witch suits us great. Get out and look / try out as many bed layouts and don't be scared to put up climb in etc, etc, before buying Use one of the shows or a dealer to try this and get a good idea what is going to suit you then look for what you want.
Also try hiring one for a weekend or mid week this will give a good idea as to what you want
terry

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
:thumb::welcome: dotdot and clint eastwood (man with no name)

Motor-Home Travel, on Tarmac or Gravel

A Week or Two in the Sun

If you have any trouble or Technical Muddle

Find the answer in Motor-Home Fun

Welcome to the bestest Motor Home forum on the interwebbythingy

You've had some great advice already...........

* do you want to make up a bed each night

* do you want to climb up into an over-cab bed each night

* Do you want a spacious rear lounge to entertain

* Do you intend carrying loads of gear in the rear garage

* Will you be taking others away with you

* Will it be parked up at home /size / length........

The whole deal is a compromise. If you are going away for several weeks at a time, you'd probably feel more comfortable in a fixed bed.

When you climb all over the hundreds of vans out there imagine yourself cooking , washing up, sitting on the loo, standing in the shower. Most of all when you decide on the layout, drive it, make sure it's comfortable to drive.

Whatever you do have fun.......buying your first one really should be.....Griff

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So, ques 1 is 2006 too old? Should we save for a bit longer for a newer model? (please say no)
Dawn

Provided it's low mileage ( under 20K ? ) and in good condition you could run it years and ( here's the crunch for a kilted person ) lose little money. But new and you lose a fortune before you've slept in it.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
The end dinette doesn't seem to work well when children are in and out of the van, hot food and all that health and safety stuff, if there are no kids I see nothing wrong with that layout,

................It's all a compromise dot..........Griff:thumb:

Upvote 0

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Welcome

As you can see we all have our own ideas.

I like the large U shaped lounge.

This layout is about as versatile as you can get. Lounge can be 2 single beds or one huge giant size bed.

During the day, huge lounge to lounge about in, especially if holidaying in the UK.

Single beds so easy to make as they form the sides of the U. Just put bedding on, job done.

Also look for storage space. Outside cupboards are an advantage as you can put chairs, silver screens, all kinds of must have rubbish that we all take away with us.

I somehow managed to get the layout right for us first time.:thumb:

Ours has a dinette opposite kitchen as well, which is handy when eating indoors or one of us wants to watch tv (me)::bigsmile: whilst hubby masters sudoku.:roflmto:

Have Fun choosing and if you have money in bank look on eBay, some good bargains to be had.

I bought mine on eBay with no regrets.:Smile:

Good luck

Lesley

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Why is bad for you? (keep it clean please :Blush:)

Ok end Dinette or (lounge you will find the term used) will result in one thing. Making up beds or climbing high in to a bed.

There is little to gain, making up beds is no problem, we done it for many years in a caravan with small kids. Climbing up high in to beds to sleep in the overhead, no problem until you had a pint too many and want to come down stairs.

I truly believe and this is our 3rd van that I have the best layout known to mankind. However, I would like more storage, others will tell you that they have the best layout known to mankind but wish they didn't have to climb in to bed, but they have great storage. Others will tell you that making up beds is doddle others that size doesn't matter.

Your Scottish I presume, or certainly living there. I would therefore suggest that lounging space is the most important thing that you will need. There is nothing nice about sitting on the Mull in the pouring rain and cold outside and not being able to stretch your legs.

you will find your own way, sadly for many, its too late youve done the deal and its an expensive mistake. so as I said think and think hard, may be buy Jim's motorhome buying guide.

Here's a pic of my van (not the exact one) look where we can lounge and entertain (you need that if your a funster :winky:) as well as go off to bed when ive had enough of the drunk people in my van :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ps the front seats swivel...
Link Removed

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Nice van Haggers, open, loads of space, best of all worlds, but a compromise again.

Do you need more than two sets of seat belts for occupants?:thumb:

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have to agree with Lesleyjean......we've got the rear u-shaped lounge, with the mid-way dinette, but the overhead cab (that some don't like:Doh:) is ideal for storing all our bed linen and other junk etc.
However, there are only the two of us normally in the 6-berth van.
Our 6foot height daughter slept in it recently and was very comfortable as well:thumb:

Upvote 0

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Broken Link Removed

How about this for lounging in::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jazzbow

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
thanks, really quick replies I am impressed :Cool:

We have a cocker spaniel (Dotty) she's FAT and a 16 yr old son . We don't think he's gonna accompany us although he has threatened to join us on the maiden voyage.
So it's mostly gonna be Clint (Ian) and myself :Smile:

Upvote 0

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Ok end Dinette or (lounge you will find the term used) will result in one thing. Making up beds or climbing high in to a bed.

There is little to gain, making up beds is no problem, we done it for many years in a caravan with small kids. Climbing up high in to beds to sleep in the overhead, no problem until you had a pint too many and want to come down stairs.

I truly believe and this is our 3rd van that I have the best layout known to mankind. However, I would like more storage, others will tell you that they have the best layout known to mankind but wish they didn't have to climb in to bed, but they have great storage. Others will tell you that making up beds is doddle others that size doesn't matter.

Your Scottish I presume, or certainly living there. I would therefore suggest that lounging space is the most important thing that you will need. There is nothing nice about sitting on the Mull in the pouring rain and cold outside and not being able to stretch your legs.

you will find your own way, sadly for many, its too late youve done the deal and its an expensive mistake. so as I said think and think hard, may be buy Jim's motorhome buying guide.

Here's a pic of my van (not the exact one) look where we can lounge and entertain (you need that if your a funster :winky:) as well as go off to bed when ive had enough of the drunk people in my van :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ps the front seats swivel...
Link Removed

Nice van Paul.:thumb:
But

I do like your bessecar, very nice indeed, but:Smile:

I still prefer end lounge.

Also huge rear window...... For seeing who is following you.::bigsmile:

Great when driving as it is just like driving a car.

Lesley

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Nice van Paul.:thumb:
But

I do like your bessecar, very nice indeed, but:Smile:

I still prefer end lounge.

Also huge rear window...... For seeing who is following you.::bigsmile:

Great when driving as it is just like driving a car.

Lesley

Agree with that as well! We've got the huge rear window and as I double-up as the "reversing camera", all I need to do is run up the back of the van and do a safety check before we reverse:roflmto: All done from inside which is ideal if it's raining!!
Wives come in really handy for all these things:thumb:
Margaret

Upvote 0

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Hello and Welcome :welcome:
My brother/sister in law bought a 2005 motorhome recently and it's a really nice vehicle, it's in just as good condition as my 2009 one so don't worry too much about age, there are lots of more important factors to consider, the clever folk on here will keep you on the right track ( I'm not one of the clever ones by the way) :getmecoat:

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi There
Welcome to the Fun. We bought our MH at the Northern Caravan show two years ago. There were loads and loads of second hand vans there from dozens of dealers. We live in Scotland (West Lothian) but bought ours from Cleveland Motorhomes who delivered it free of charge and gave us a warranty where they would pay for local repairs. They've been great and we would use them again.
The model we chose was different to what we had planned but once we were sitting in the van we knew it was right for us. I would go for an older better quality MH as the internal fittings are so much better quality.
Happy choosing! It's a big part of the fun. :roflmto:

Upvote 0

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I love our U-shaped lounge but would particularly love a separate shower rather than one that is an extension of the bathroom tap. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
::bigsmile:::bigsmile: I hate dinettes -bed just behind front seats :thumb: opens up the whole van :winky::thumb:
I do hope this opens up another RV discussion on ED or not ED ::bigsmile:
terry
your wish is granted Terry :roflmto:

i wish I had an end dinette/kitchen......then my bedroom/lounge would be 12ft wide by 15ft long instead of 9ft wide by 8ft long

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
There you go,

What is summed up is that every one likes there van except for some small part. ::bigsmile:

you will be no different, of that I promise.

See how hard it is now? :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We always opted for U shaped lounges when the kids travelled with us, but now fixed beds are much better than making one up, it makes those afternoon snoozes much more comfortable. Age really isn't important, we've had new and nearly new vans, and lost a pile of money on them. We've had older vans that we sold couple of years later for as much as we bought them. Our present van is 13 years old and is as good as new. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Of course these are all personal opinions. But I agree on layout, it has to be what suites you. Climbing down a ladder at night after a few sherberts never appealed to me, so it was always a fixed bed. With reference to age, I think that as long as the interior has been looked after, you shouldn't have to worry too much about the mechanics. Our MAX is ten years old but only has 47K on it. My car is nine years old and has 111K on it - both are doing fine, in fact diesel engines, if well maintained will outlast you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jazzbow

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
The discussion on the pros and cons of end dinette has been enjoyable ::bigsmile:
But nobody has answered my inspection question:Eeek:
I'll remind you since it's now 3 pages away...

Was wondering if there is a company that will inspect a vehicle for us if it's too far for us to go ourselves?

Oh and I'll slip in another while I'm here! Is there a 'good'
time to buy?

cheers
Dawn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
My van( first one) is a 1997 autotrail scout-- it`s done 35k miles and seems to do just as much as the new ones seem too.
So-- 15 years old, still going strong and at a third of the price of some later ones.
I am tempted some times to trade up to a newer model but talk myself out of it.
I always have done the same thing years ago with cars ect, but then found myself thinking--- it`s ok but not as good as my first one.:thumb:
I also enjoy fixing any things that need doing on it.----
If i had a shiney new one parked outside, i would feel some what uninvolved, as i can`t tinker with the new ones .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back