May 7, 2012
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Merc 410D Van
Exp
1 week
Hi,
I recently purchased a new Sony radio for my van. I have installed it and it works when the ignition is on and switches off when the ignition is switched off. My problem is that I want to be able to use the radio when we are camping and the ignition is off. I've identified both the switched live and the permanent live and these are connected correctly as per the instructions. I have also tried switching them, but the radio will only either work off the ignition or manually, but not both??

The factory fitted radio in my car works both ways so whay won't my new aftermarket radio? Any electric wizzards out there who know how to sort this? can I connect the radio to my leisure battery as well as the starter battery so I can use it while camping?

Dave.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Im not familiar with the merc wiring, but with the fiat/peugeout etc the radio needs another (fused) feed from the battery to work. you cant use the permanent live supplied to retain the memory. I know some have tried bridging the two wires, but again that wont work

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the switched feed needs rewiring into the accessory position of the ignition switch...as it is its wired to the ignition position.

wiring direct to the battery may cause a flat battery after a week of none use as the radio may still draw a considerable current even turned off at the control button/knob.

my car radio was pulling around 190ma, almost 1/5th of an amp, when wired direct to the battery and turned off at the knob.

doesnt sound much but over a week thats 32amps....enough for a possible none start situation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dflambe

dflambe

Free Member
May 7, 2012
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Merc 410D Van
Exp
1 week
So I need to set the key to ACC and then find the wire with the 12V? But that still means the ignition has to be turned to the ACC position?

Can I not have it so that it will work even with no key in the ignition at all?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry forgot to mention a rotary switch to give a choice of supply from leisure battery or standard wiring. This will allow you to use the radio in the cab as usual, but also on site without the keys in the ignition.

As mentioned though, check what the radio draws on standby as well, as you dont want flat batteries

OP
OP
dflambe

dflambe

Free Member
May 7, 2012
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Merc 410D Van
Exp
1 week
Rotary Switch? There is a switch on the sid eof the drivers seat. Like a deadman switch. you twist it to kill th epowere in the van but I'm sure the leisure Battery still works. Will check the standby draw as well. Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So I need to set the key to ACC and then find the wire with the 12V? But that still means the ignition has to be turned to the ACC position?

Can I not have it so that it will work even with no key in the ignition at all?
correct, but it must also turn off when the key is removed.

as in my post, the only other way is direct to a permanent live or the battery, but you cant control how much power it will consume when turned off, unless you fit a separate on/off switch in the radio's live feed....but forget to flick the switch off and you will have a flat battery in a week or so....then you wont need the key in the ignition.

when connected direct, with the radio turned off, only part of the circuit is actually turned off.
the receiver circuits will still be on but the amplifier will be off
basically you only turn off the display and mute the sound and this is the reason for the ignition switched control...it turns it all off.

the station memory (permanently live wire) must always be live regardless..unless you want to retune each time...but this will only use 4 or 5 mah so, unless the van is left unstarted for weeks at a time, it should be fine.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Our Link RemovedWINNEBAGOLink RemovedRV has a three position switch, on the dash, that allows power to the radio from either the chassis battery or the house batteries or completely off. In both of the power positions the radio can be turned on. However even in the off position it draws a tiny amount of juice to keep the memory. The ignition switch has nothing to do with it. :winky:

OP
OP
dflambe

dflambe

Free Member
May 7, 2012
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Merc 410D Van
Exp
1 week
Right, so this is my understanding.
I can connect as per standard and use a permanent live for the memory the ignition switch to power on and off. However if I use the deadman switch I'll lose the memory each time.

Thereofore, to get around this I need to attached a permanent live from the leisure battery.

In addition, (to use the radio while camped) I have to fit another feed from the Leisure battery through a rotary switch so I switch the on/off power over!

Does this sound right?

Simples!!!:Eeek::thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Wire both power feeds, red and yellow, from the radio to the leasure battery with a switch in the main power line, not the memory is the essance of what you are trying to do. Personal opinion, get all radio power away from the engine battery, dead leasure battery is a pain, dead engine means no start, which to me is more of a pain.

I have no idea why MH builders do these stupid things, ie, leaving the radio on the chassis battery, it's plain daft.

As Mike pointed out most Yank builders fit a switch so you can select, but again, even that's a bit daft, just wire the thing off the leasure battery from the get go:thumb:

On our Winne I clipped the wire so there is no chance of running the engine battery down accidetally::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
like wise we have an LPG fixed tank

Wire both power feeds, red and yellow, from the radio to the leasure battery with a switch in the main power line, not the memory is the essance of what you are trying to do. Personal opinion, get all radio power away from the engine battery, dead leasure battery is a pain, dead engine means no start, which to me is more of a pain.

I have no idea why MH builders do these stupid things, ie, leaving the radio on the chassis battery, it's plain daft.

As Mike pointed out most Yank builders fit a switch so you can select, but again, even that's a bit daft, just wire the thing off the leasure battery from the get go:thumb:

On our Winne I clipped the wire so there is no chance of running the engine battery down accidetally::bigsmile:

Like wise, our winnebago has a dash switch that allows me to direct the radio to the house side... when under way we switch to cab and when we park up I switch to house.. saves any issue.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back