Just By Pressing A Few Buttons... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just by pressing a few buttons I have ordered a pointy wi-fi amplifier thingy to plug into the slotty bit of my laptop... (from the Big Lady Company)

Apparently, with this pointy thingy I can aim it at Blighty and pick up Hilldwellers home wi-fi network... free surfing and downloading movies at 40mbs... yippee...

JJ :Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Apparently, with this pointy thingy I can aim it at Blighty and pick up Hilldwellers home wi-fi network.

Pretty close. Though you do need line of sight, tricky in the stealth camper.

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
Just by pressing a few buttons I have ordered a pointy wi-fi amplifier thingy to plug into the slotty bit of my laptop... (from the Big Lady Company)

Apparently, with this pointy thingy I can aim it at Blighty and pick up Hilldwellers home wi-fi network... free surfing and downloading movies at 40mbs... yippee...

how nice for yoo.........and are yoo going to share this information as to where yoo got it from???ie ...........a link old chap.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
how nice for yoo.........and are yoo going to share this information as to where yoo got it from???ie ...........a link old chap.

Come come now Smudger old chap, this is Motorhome Fun...the only information that gets shared on here is scandal.:whatthe:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Apparently, with this pointy thingy I can aim it at Blighty and [HI]pick up Hilldwellers home wi-fi network.[/HI].. free surfing and [HI]downloading movies[/HI] at 40mbs... yippee...

Is that bravery beyond the call of duty? To risk watching the same movies as Hilldweller???? :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

Just for you my friend...

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/2200mW-Booster-Antenna-802-11n-STRONG/dp/B0034FAS0K/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1337161057&sr=8-16[/ame]

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
You have to know which way to point that one though, surely the one that Paul (onderweg) and Ken (KsBruce) uses is better it has the same distance if i remember rightly but is omnidirectional - so plug in and scan the whole area around you

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You have to know which way to point that one though, surely the one that Paul (onderweg) and Ken (KsBruce) uses is better it has the same distance if i remember rightly but is omnidirectional - so plug in and scan the whole area around you

Oh dear Maggie... I never ever seem to do anything right! :cry:

PS. I know which way to point it... I know where the router lives... :winky:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
This is [HI]the 315/550 debate[/HI] which we've done to death in the past.

Errr... what is that?

PS... my ignorant thoughts are that I would rather "pull in" one signal decently than loads and loads not so strongly...

... I am hoping just to point my thingy in several directions (moving gently and smoothly) and eventually find the best result... :winky:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
This is the 315/550 debate which we've done to death in the past.

i thought the status tv flying saucer type ariels were the 315/550 things
i have neither the status type ariel nor a wifi booster but would prefer the 'rocket' omnidirectional i think to one i have to stand and turn to pick up any strong signal
Directional might be ok in sunny Portugal but over here you could end up being like a drowned rat by the time you had turned it to a signal strong enough.
We are talking Wifi booster arent we?

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Errr... what is that?

PS... my ignorant thoughts are that I would rather "pull in" one signal decently than loads and loads not so strongly...

... I am hoping just to point my thingy in several directions (moving gently and smoothly) and eventually find the best result... :winky:

315 - the flying saucer TV aerial that's as much use as a chocolate teapot.
550 - the directional one that works.

You are 100% right, a directional aerial is a telescope, you see what you need to see much better and don't see the rest. This is one powerful telescope.

And just as with a powerful telescope you do need to point it accurately for best results.

PS. Congratulations on spending money, City's victory must have gone to your head.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
315 - the flying saucer TV aerial that's as much use as a chocolate teapot.
550 - the directional one that works.

[HI]You are 100% right[/HI], a directional aerial is a telescope, you see what you need to see much better and don't see the rest. This is one powerful telescope.

And just as with a powerful telescope you do need to point it accurately for best results.

PS. Congratulations on spending money, City's victory must have gone to your head.

I nominate this post for Post Of The Month Award... now where is my Christmas Card list and a pen...?

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My wi-fi amplifier pointy thingy has arrived...

It was meant to arrive today or yesterday...

I loaded the software onto my laptop...

I plugged the thingy into the slotty place...

The barcode wotsit went from 2 little bars... to all five of them...

I appears to work just as they said it would... it pulls in all the wi-fi in the industrial estate which are invisible to my laptop without it...

Yes it was a bit pricey but appears to be a quality product... nicely printed instructions... well produced mini disc with the drivers on it... good quality cable... etc etc.

Quite pleased... it wasn't bought for this particular location... but now... when in France maybe I can pick up the McDonalds wi-fi without having to go in and buy a burger... :winky:

JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back