Free Member
May 12, 2012
Durban- South Africa
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
greetings all, dont own a "home" as yet, still weighing up the options, but, am thinking of towing a small car, please help with any advice you might have, many thanks ....garyo (biltong boy):helpsos:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
greetings all, dont own a "home" as yet, still weighing up the options, but, am thinking of towing a small car, please help with any advice you might have, many thanks ....garyo (biltong boy):helpsos:

This is going to be good. Everybody put on tin hats and dig in.:ROFLMAO::hardhat::ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In this country USE AN A FRAME
and a 4 seater car, we tow a Peugeot 107, PERFECT :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You will get a lot of 'Oh no not again' on this subject
Its been debated to exhaustion , mainly the legality in UK and Europe ,use the search facility on this forum to look at volumes on the subject.
We ,as many others tow on an A frame and they are fine,only downside you can not reverse them.
Do not know the laws on SA but trailer is the safe bet if you have room to store it.But A Frame are a much cheaper option . Your choice. but as for towing we only use ours when we want to set up for a while, and tour using the car,otherwise we use a motor home as it was intended, roam at will .:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
welcome Garyo.

biltong Eh! haven't tasted that for 20 years :Sad:

anyhow.....just wondering as to the legal implications of A framing in the Eastern cape.

is it like most motoring laws over there......if there is a law, its generally ignored and not upheld :winky:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i would stick with the trailer route, but get a 4 wheeler with the bed size just larger than the tyre footprint of the car you tow. obviously it needs to carry the weight of car plus whatever you load into it.

the smaller the trailer the easier to handle and store it is

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
with the price of a small car and A frame / trailler addition fuel used towing and speed limits why not consider car hire on the occassions you choose to stay a while!!!!!! we are planning to give this a try in France next month... will report when we are back in mid July:Cool:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We spent 5 weeks in Spain in Jan/Feb this year and hired cars when needed , as low as € 70 a week and not one old banger.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Just get one mate, there ace. I've got one and love it,

There legal and great fun,, I love reversing mine to show people it can be done, last year I had a policeman admire it so much he pulled me over to look at it. He particularly liked the fact when the Motorhome indicated left the car indicated right. Liked it so much he offered me a ticket but I declined.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Q Mlord

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just get one mate, there ace. I've got one and love it,

There legal and great fun,, I love reversing mine to show people it can be done, last year I had a policeman admire it so much he pulled me over to look at it. He particularly liked the fact when the Motorhome indicated left the car indicated right. Liked it so much he offered me a ticket but I declined.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Q Mlord

Paul , I think the NHS is driving you a bit do lally :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
with the price of a small car and A frame / trailler addition fuel used towing and speed limits why not consider car hire on the occassions you choose to stay a while!!!!!! we are planning to give this a try in France next month... will report when we are back in mid July:Cool:

fuel in South Africa is half the price we pay.

hire car !!!! a VW golf with the roof cut off to make a convertible

:winky::roflmto:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
You will get a lot of 'Oh no not again' on this subject
Its been debated to exhaustion , mainly the legality in UK and Europe ,use the search facility on this forum to look at volumes on the subject.
We ,as many others tow on an A frame and they are fine,only downside you can not reverse them.
Do not know the laws on SA but trailer is the safe bet if you have room to store it.But A Frame are a much cheaper option . Your choice. but as for towing we only use ours when we want to set up for a while, and tour using the car,otherwise we use a motor home as it was intended, roam at will .:thumb:

Don't think an Aframe is that much cheaper my A frame was £1200 fitted I can buy a dam good trailer for £1500 my trailer was much more but that was due to the weight of the car I tow and it needed to be a tiltbed.

All the best Rick

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
check the motorhome can tow the weight of the car you are thinking of towing without being over its plated train weight.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back