Generator security. (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
having just purchased a generator with gas conversion, I am just pondering the security of it.

It came with a large motorcycle type chain and padlock, but I can`t see anywhere that I could use to secure it to, because of the gas pipe, it needs to be pretty close to outside BBQ point.

Is it something you would leave outside if you can manage to chain it up during your stay, or is it something you put out, use and always secure in van/garage when not in use.

Thanks

Steve
P.S. Do you start generator before attaching cable? Instructions are not very clear.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Get a longer chain

Get a longer chain and put it round an axle if you cannot put it somewhere closer.

I often chain my scooters up to the electric step or the tow ball frame... but if all else fails I throw the chain round on the tyres.

Make sure you get a serious bit of chain.. Road Runner has his pinched while chained up if I recall

Bob

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Get a longer chain and put it round an axle if you cannot put it somewhere closer.

I often chain my scooters up to the electric step or the tow ball frame... but if all else fails I throw the chain round on the tyres.

Make sure you get a serious bit of chain.. Road Runner has his pinched while chained up if I recall

Bob

Thanks Bob, so if you can secure it well enough you are happy to leave it outside in view?

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes happy to leave mine out secured depending where im at, BUT
Having most cutting tools to hand in my work shop, I find the 12mm steel cables the most dificult to cut through using silent tools,
With a hand held Battery Grinder nothing is secure enough:Doh:
And of course theives are aways ahead with modern technoligy

Screwfix is as good a source as any for these
Sterling Security Cables
1.2--2.1--and 4.5 meter legnths availble you can secure to chassis at almost any point
prices start at
£5.95---£9.95--- £13.95 respectivly
I usualy carry a 4.5mtr at least as it covers all ocasions
And as an aside, talking security we find the sterring wheel disc lock the most difficult to chop off:winky:
Geo

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I don't have a genny but I would think it better to use it and then secure it away.:thumb: Why tempt fate ?Leave a leccy light on so that if it gets unplugged/nicked you will notice straight away and have half a chance of running after the young fit tea leaf :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
having just purchased a generator with gas conversion, I am just pondering the security of it.

It came with a large motorcycle type chain and padlock, but I can`t see anywhere that I could use to secure it to, because of the gas pipe, it needs to be pretty close to outside BBQ point.

Is it something you would leave outside if you can manage to chain it up during your stay, or is it something you put out, use and always secure in van/garage when not in use.

Thanks

Steve
P.S. Do you start generator before attaching cable? Instructions are not very clear.

:RollEyes::RollEyes:
START GENNY LET IT RUN FOR A FEW MIN.SWITCH ELECTRICS OFF IN VAN. RAP CABLE AROUND GENNY HANDLE AND PLUG IN. SWITCH ELECTRICS BACK ON IN VAN. TRY AND MAKE SURE THE GENNY IS EARTHED.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
I use a longish chain, then drive onto the chain with the front wheels, 4 tons sitting on the chain no-one is going to pull that out,

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes I would be ..subject to where I am

Thanks Bob, so if you can secure it well enough you are happy to leave it outside in view?

Steve

If you go to a show you will see many of them just chained up... some put them away at the end of the day, others do not.. there are covers you can get for them to keep the rain off when in use.. but a chain or cable will be the way I would go. Much as others have said.

At the shows there is a chap now that sells the steel cables.. I used on at home all the time to secure my trailer and my scooter.. works OK for me..

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
If you go to a show you will see many of them just chained up... some put them away at the end of the day, others do not.. there are covers you can get for them to keep the rain off when in use.. but a chain or cable will be the way I would go. Much as others have said.

At the shows there is a chap now that sells the steel cables.. I used on at home all the time to secure my trailer and my scooter.. works OK for me..

Bob:Blush:

Yes, saw plenty at Peterborough, but didn`t take much notice whether they were left out at night.

I assume it won`t work underwater ::bigsmile:

Are those covers worth bothering with?

Just had it running for the first time, had hab air con and a domestic steam iron on and it seemed to be OK.

Steve

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I assume sitting on the ground is classed as `earthed`.

NOPE. There should be an earth connection, often a wing nut, on it somewhere, which you connect with a suitable cable, to a nice long ground stake at least 8ft long bashed into the ground. :Cool: Don't forget to take it out when you leave, we mustn't leave any rubbish behind.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

However, generators that are mounted in vehicles are already connected to the vehicle chassis, so do not need an earth. Also no earth is needed with a portable generator if the receptacles are mounted inside the vehicle. :Eeek:

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
gennies are not waterproof, and water with electrics is a bad mixture, especially if you are the nearest earth point.

bear in mind most gennies have rubber feet, so are isolated, you really should consider an earth spike and cable, especially for use in damp weather. never use in very wet conditions like in puddles etc for your own safety,

i have a bag for mine that folds out into a tent when unzipped to keep the rain off and cable lock it around the base of the nearest van tyre. looping around the tyre may pull on brake hoses etc so best avoided. Dont forget the weakest point is the lock normally so use something substantial.

also put mine away after use, once cool and lock it where its stored too. theives will think nothing of walking up to a van as if they own it and open locker doors to take things. nobody seems to notice in most cases as they expect a thief to just grab something and run. whilst this is true for some, the more seasoned pro thief blends in and will even talk to people to put them at ease

criminals dont wear a stripy jumper and black mask....they walk amongst us daily and just blend in

for instance I was at a campsite in Wales and a blatant theft took place by a group of Itinerants. first they sent their kids in to ride around the site, possibly to spot targets. 10 minutes later a car drives in and just pulls up on a pitch by a caravan. at this time the kids start throwing stones at the ducks on the other side of the site as a distraction to draw attention. the people in the car just hopped out and helped themselves and loaded the loot in the car and drove off again. The kids were ordered off the site and it wasnt until a few hours later that the theft was noticed as the caravan owners returned. clever in a way, and very blatant, but thats how they work

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I tie up my A-frame when on a site with the heavy motorbike type chain, but also have an alarm padlock on it which sounds a pretty loud alarm if it is moved or otherwise interfered with. I bought the padlock from the police at one of their security stalls somewhere in the west country. A generator is probably a much greater theft target than an A-frame though, so I'd stick it in a locker when not in use.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I tie up my A-frame when on a site with the heavy motorbike type chain, but also have an alarm padlock on it which sounds a pretty loud alarm if it is moved or otherwise interfered with. I bought the padlock from the police at one of their security stalls somewhere in the west country. A generator is probably a much greater theft target than an A-frame though, so I'd stick it in a locker when not in use.
Itinerants wont steal yer A frame
Ther'e illeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegal dint ya know:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would be grateful for details of that, thanks. :thumb:

No problem, I ve had my one for years now and wouldnt be without

My one was made by a company called fox leisure or something similar, but dont think they are about any more. What it is, is a reinforced carry bag with a skeleton frame. both sides unzip on 3 sides leaing the top attached. it then comes with poles you clip together to hold the sides up like a tent porch, which you use guy lines to hold in place. Will take a few photos when i get a chance

this one is similar but without the carry bag
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/i...GURJ8nWMC7hiiwgRNc5xS4cjp4_ZZPCqgkFGDwmiP7oiT

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
NOPE. There should be an earth connection, often a wing nut, on it somewhere, which you connect with a suitable cable,[HI] to a nice long ground stake at least 8ft long bashed into the ground[/HI]. :Cool: Don't forget to take it out when you leave, we mustn't leave any rubbish behind.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Can you explain how that works.. where is the fault current path to/from with a ground spike on the genny ?

If it is a metal case genny with an earth connection it should be connected to the van chassis .. connecting to the ground is pointless unless you have conductive tyres on the van ..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
all this talk of expensive locks, chains and steel hawsers leaves just one question...

what are you going to fix the chain/rope to on the genny ?

Like most, i would say through the carry handle......yes???

and what is the handle made of....PLASTIC !!!!!!

two very quick hacksaw cuts and the genny is gone :Doh:.

if some scroat wants your genny for themselves they wont worry about a damaged handle, will they ?
different if the want to sell it on of course :Doh:.

on my little wolf 650w i fitted a small steel bracket to the crankcase with a 'snap-off head' security bolt.....not exactly thief proof, but would take a few minutes to cut through at least.

just remembered the correct name...shear bolts

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can you explain how that works.. where is the fault current path to/from with a ground spike on the genny ?

If it is a metal case genny with an earth connection it should be connected to the van chassis .. connecting to the ground is pointless unless you have conductive tyres on the van ..

and if there should be an earth fault, you could become that earth path when you step out of the van...if you're touching anything conductive at the time

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
all this talk of expensive locks, chains and steel hawsers leaves just one question...

what are you going to fix the chain/rope to on the genny ?

Like most, i would say through the carry handle......yes???

and what is the handle made of....PLASTIC !!!!!!

two very quick hacksaw cuts and the genny is gone :Doh:.

if some scroat wants your genny for themselves they wont worry about a damaged handle, will they ?
different if the want to sell it on of course :Doh:.

on my little wolf 650w i fitted a small steel bracket to the crankcase with a 'snap-off head' security bolt.....not exactly thief proof, but would take a few minutes to cut through at least.

just remembered the correct name...shear bolts

Never heard of a cordless grinder John ? 20 secs max with a cutting wheel fitted ::bigsmile:
terry

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp

and if there should be an earth fault, you could become that earth path when you step out of the van...if you're touching anything conductive at the time

Most little portable generators, do not have their windings referenced to frame or earth so in effect run a floating earth system. There are recommendations when running this type of system. The rod will not provide you with an earth, but is required to tie down the floating earth as a reference, and provide a path for return current through the ground, as described by John. Phutttttttt, Gary Lineker, bake style B. :ROFLMAO:

I will admit that I personally have never put in a stake. :Blush:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have never ever earthed my Genny in 10 years of using one, I have never ever seen one attached to a steak in 10 years

Guess what? I'm still alive :RollEyes:

I lock mine away at night and lock it to the alloy wheel, I also keep it under the van when in use so slightly hidden

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
I have never ever earthed my Genny in 10 years of using one, I have never ever seen one attached to a steak in 10 years
Guess what? I'm still alive :RollEyes:

I lock mine away at night and lock it to the alloy wheel, I also keep it under the van when in use so slightly hidden

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
DO YOU GET CHIPS WITH THAT??????

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Most little portable generators, do not have their windings referenced to frame or earth so in effect run a floating earth system. There are recommendations when running this type of system. The rod will not provide you with an earth, but is required to tie down the floating earth as a reference, and provide a path for return current through the ground, as described by John. Phutttttttt, Gary Lineker, bake style B. :ROFLMAO:

I will admit that I personally have never put in a stake. :Blush:

I think your waffling ... :roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never heard of a cordless grinder John ? 20 secs max with a cutting wheel fitted ::bigsmile:
terry
accompanied by around 120db and a big shower of sparks, you would hear that over a kipper any day. :winky:

someone would question it...I know I would.

then they would need to carry a genny AND the grinder....my kipper weighs around 56lbs and i couldn't run far with that and a grinder sticking out my pocket.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would be grateful for details of that, thanks. :thumb:
Just found somebody selling a similar generator bag and tent to my one and not expensive either
Link Removed

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Just found somebody selling a similar generator bag and tent to my one and not expensive either
Link Removed

Thanks for that, I also since found this.

Link Removed

With this one you choose which end will open for the exhaust.

Decisions decisions :Blush:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
best security for a generator is leave it at home in your garage :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Ihave had lots of items from them

Thanks for that, I also since found this.

Link Removed

With this one you choose which end will open for the exhaust.

Decisions decisions :Blush:

I have had lots of kit bags and items from them.. well made....

I have also used the other company you often see at shows to make scooter covers.. all of them seem to do similar items.

I know Bill (Landylover) has one of these framed covers for his genny.. seems to work OK..

Bob

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Can anyone tell what is the best make of genny to buy please?

We have a Autotrail with x 2 batteries and i know one day soon i am going to have to let go of the umbilical cord and go freestyle :ROFLMAO: Newbury ??

With 2 toddlers on board i don`t want to end up with lots of screaming in the darkness :Eeek:.
If i cut off on the tv,radio,laptop ect and gas up everything i can , i don`t know how long the battery(s) will last, and what power genny will i need?
I have seen some on amazon :thumb: --i don`t know much about them :Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back